Sign in with
Your question

Need help with Linux

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 11, 2006 6:00:50 PM

(Before you reply/read this post please take into account im a Linux-virgin, this being my first time :p  )

Downloaded Mandriva 2006 for x86-64 free edition earlier today, installed with no problems (at least i thought so). I rebooted my machine after Linux had installed, got to the OS choosing screen, selected Linux then it began to load.

It usually gets to the KDE or GNOME logo then completely freezes, mouse doesnt move, screen froze etc... don't know if my hdd is active but i'll check in a second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i really want to get in to Linux but can't actually get it installed :cry: 

As i said earlier this is my FIRST linux OS and i know NOTHING about it, so please be gentle :D 

My PC spec is as follows:

AMD 64 3500
EPOX EP9NPAJ SLi
Kingston HyperX 1024mb
ATI X800XT R423 Core (heard there's some problems with this card and Linux - could this be my problem ?)
Hitachi Deskstar SATA 160GB HDD
Standard PS/2 Keyboard and 3 button mouse
Philips 105S 15" monitor

More about : linux

April 11, 2006 6:20:33 PM

So you're saying it's definitely a driver problem with my ATI card ?

How do i get a driver onto my computer seeing as i can't actually log into Linux ? I still have my Windows XP partition, could i install it on that and copy it across to the other partition or something ? Or do i have to write code *shudder*
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
April 11, 2006 6:32:45 PM

Quote:
So you're saying it's definitely a driver problem with my ATI card ?

How do i get a driver onto my computer seeing as i can't actually log into Linux ? I still have my Windows XP partition, could i install it on that and copy it across to the other partition or something ? Or do i have to write code *shudder*

You can simply hit

ALT + CTRL + F1

init 3

and follow the instructions here:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/ATI-Drivers-fto...

to wget the driver and install it

Good Luck!
April 11, 2006 7:14:33 PM

Quote:

You can simply hit

ALT + CTRL + F1

This is probably a really stupid question but ... when ?
a b 5 Linux
April 11, 2006 7:30:14 PM

Quote:

You can simply hit

ALT + CTRL + F1

This is probably a really stupid question but ... when ?

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

After it tries to go into runlevel 5 to start the GUI ( X.org )

You will see the mandriva equivalent of this login screen or something like it:

Hit ALT+CTRL+F1 to get to the text console which will look something like this:

except it will say something like:

welcome to mandriva Linux version x.x Linux 2.6.x

login: root
password:

Type in root all lower case and hit enter

Type in the root password ( it will not appear as you type it ) and hit enter.

Once you have successfully logged in:

wget https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/dri...

chmod a+rx ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run

./ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run

follow the onscreen instructions to install

Good luck :-D
April 11, 2006 7:48:46 PM

I can't be the graphics card that's freezing the system, i got onto runlevel 5 and as soon as i finished typing "root" it froze. Thought it was a one off so i rebooted machine, got into runlevel 5 again this time i managed to type "root" and then "init 3" but after i typed "init 3" it froze again.

Can't be an overheating problem as Windows XP works fine and i can't think of anything else. Maybe a corrupted download ?
a b 5 Linux
April 11, 2006 8:18:16 PM

Quote:
I can't be the graphics card that's freezing the system, i got onto runlevel 5 and as soon as i finished typing "root" it froze. Thought it was a one off so i rebooted machine, got into runlevel 5 again this time i managed to type "root" and then "init 3" but after i typed "init 3" it froze again.

Can't be an overheating problem as Windows XP works fine and i can't think of anything else. Maybe a corrupted download ?

Hit ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE ( NOT DELETE ) repeatedly

followed by ALT+CTRL+F1 hopefully init will notice something is wrong and stop respawing the X server

If that doesn't do it reboot and when you get to the GRUB prompt

follow the onscreen instructions to edit the kernel options select the default kernel hit e to edit and add single after the kernel boot like which looks something like this:

[code:1:21cc5bd016]
title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb single <<<<<<<<-------- this is the line you have to add single to
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp.img

[/code:1:21cc5bd016]

after adding single hit b to boot

then in single user mode either edit /etc/inittab and change the default init level from 5 to 3 or follow the instructions I gave you to install the ATI driver or run the xconfig program for mandriva to reset your x.org settings.

The GUI will not start if an incorrect driver is selected or if the resolution and refresh rate are wrong or if the driver is not working correctly.

I did not say your card was broken. Your drivers or your x.org configuration is most likely broken.
April 12, 2006 9:12:02 AM

Did what you said in the above post just now but it didn't work.

I got to the GRUB screen, highlighted my main Linux option, typed "e" to edit and it came up with two codes on different lines. Edited the first line (which was kernel (hd0,4) /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda6 ADDED SINGLE HERE spalsh=silent vga=768) then typed "b" to boot.

Pressed ctrl+alt+F1 and got into the programming thing, typed "login" then it asked me for login name, i typed in "root" as you said earlier but it didn't work o i just typed in my username (daniel) and my password (not going to tell you :D  )

Then typed "wget https:// etc..." but it came back with an error saying "temporary failure in name resolution"

Anyways i carried on with the boot and it actually got a little bit past the GNOME screen but then froze again, i've also noticed that when it freezes my HDD light on the ront of my computer stops meaning it's not doing anything.

EDIT: by the way in my GRUB selection screen there's "linux-nonfb" what's this ?
a b 5 Linux
April 12, 2006 9:21:45 AM

Quote:
Did what you said in the above post just now but it didn't work.

I got to the GRUB screen, highlighted my main Linux option, typed "e" to edit and it came up with two codes on different lines. Edited the first line (which was kernel (hd0,4) /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda6 ADDED SINGLE HERE spalsh=silent vga=768) then typed "b" to boot.

Pressed ctrl+alt+F1 and got into the programming thing, typed "login" then it asked me for login name, i typed in "root" as you said earlier but it didn't work o i just typed in my username (daniel) and my password (not going to tell you :D  )

Then typed "wget https:// etc..." but it came back with an error saying "temporary failure in name resolution"

Anyways i carried on with the boot and it actually got a little bit past the GNOME screen but then froze again, i've also noticed that when it freezes my HDD light on the ront of my computer stops meaning it's not doing anything.

EDIT: by the way in my GRUB selection screen there's "linux-nonfb" what's this ?

You have to su to root to install the driver.

Your DNS or networking may not be setup.

Assuming 192.168.0.1 is your router and 192.168.0.2 is a free IP on your LAN you can do this:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

you then have to edit /etc/resolv.conf and make sure at least one valid DNS server is listed in there.

Typically your router can be your DNS server assuming it can do DNS.

Quote:

nameserver 192.168.0.1
# nameserver 123.123.123.123 # your ISPs DNS server
# nameserver 213.213.213.213 # your ISPs other DNS server
# nameserver 132.132.132.132 # your ISPs other DNS server
June 25, 2006 11:11:24 PM

Quote:

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i really want to get in to Linux but can't actually get it installed :cry: 

As i said earlier this is my FIRST linux OS and i know NOTHING about it, so please be gentle :D 

I don't know if you wanted to hear this or not, but you can never go wrong with fedora linux: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ .... It is the most solid, stable(an I think still the most common) distribution.... It usually installs without any problems

and you can get an answer to any question you will ever have here: http://www.fedoraforum.org/

My big advice to you is to pick the 'KDE' desktop interface over 'GNOME' when doing an installation.... You can pick both during the installion if you want, and switch back and forth betwwen them to try them both after installation.... Once you start using 'KDE' you will never want to use windows again, accept for games....
a b 5 Linux
June 26, 2006 1:17:35 AM

I've recently been installing many of the new distros under vmware server (which means also installing vmware drivers afterwards) and I can confidently say that, in addition to FC5, Ubuntu and SuSE are good starters.
a b 5 Linux
June 27, 2006 10:46:37 AM

Quote:
I've recently been installing many of the new distros under vmware server (which means also installing vmware drivers afterwards) and I can confidently say that, in addition to FC5, Ubuntu and SuSE are good starters.

Indeed, I completely agree.

I would also like to add DSL and DSL-n to the list :-D
a b 5 Linux
June 27, 2006 12:46:01 PM

Indeed. I need to go ahead and install that one to give it a go since I've heard such good things. It's next on the list right after slack (always meant to give that one a go)

In response to this whole thread, wow, I know that ATI cards + Linux = More work than necessary, but for the installer to try to just dump bad drivers into the xorg.conf instead of using just the vesa stuff to get a working system is befuttling to say the least. Definately not the kinda experience you want to start out with when trying out Linux.

However, it also illustrates one of the great strengths of Unix-like OS's; namely that even when major parts of the OS are bad or missing, it can still boot and you are still able to fix the problem without reinstalling everything. Hell, you can even navigate to webpages and read forums online even when you have no graphic subsystem (has saved me a few times when I didn't have a spare machine).
a b 5 Linux
June 27, 2006 12:55:20 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I need to go ahead and install that one to give it a go since I've heard such good things. It's next on the list right after slack (always meant to give that one a go)

In response to this whole thread, wow, I know that ATI cards + Linux = More work than necessary, but for the installer to try to just dump bad drivers into the xorg.conf instead of using just the vesa stuff to get a working system is befuttling to say the least. Definately not the kinda experience you want to start out with when trying out Linux.

However, it also illustrates one of the great strengths of Unix-like OS's; namely that even when major parts of the OS are bad or missing, it can still boot and you are still able to fix the problem without reinstalling everything. Hell, you can even navigate to webpages and read forums online even when you have no graphic subsystem (has saved me a few times when I didn't have a spare machine).

Yup yup :-D

wget, lynx, cURL, etc kick butt :-D

On Unix almost any problem is fixable whereas on other OSes you have to reinstall all the time.
a b 5 Linux
June 27, 2006 8:36:10 PM

Quote:
By the way in my GRUB selection screen there's "linux-nonfb" what's this ?

It is the non-framebuffer kernel, one that doesn't put up the flashy boot stuff (like the progress bar stuff), makes a difference in older machines but doesn't affect you really, since booting that out will also likely try to start X. You can give it a try, the worst that will happen is it will try to start X after booting and it will freeze, making you hard reboot the machine.

Follow linux_0's advice to setup the network.
a b 5 Linux
June 28, 2006 4:33:53 PM

I forgot to mention that you could try a few other options besides single during boot

These:

Quote:

acpi=off pci=noacpi noapic single

may help

I would also urge you to try a Live CD like Knoppix:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD...

and maybe run memtest for a few hours to make sure your RAM is good.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/memtest86-ISO-b...

under windoze:

Download http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

+

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorder...

Unzip memtest86 and record the ISO to a CDR with ISORecorder ( you must have XP SP2 ).

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm
!