Please help regarding Motherboard not sure if its dead=[

ihatemotherboards

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
The motherboard is a K8N Pro Sli Gigabyte motherboard. Anyways the deal is during a computer game I was playing my comp just shut off so I assumed it was the HD because I had been getting HD problems before. So when we tested HD in another comp at 1st it wouldn't boot up and then it started working if held in a certain position. Well anyways I got a new HD and still not working. Everything seems to power up but nothing comes on the monitor. No beeping sounds of any kind from the Motherboard either so I'm not sure if the motherboard is working or what. The CPU fans, case fans, cd-rom, video card fan, power supply fan are all running... is there anyway I can test to see if the Mobo works? Or is it pretty clear that its dead?

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
im currently having the same problems too.. i figure it either my motherboard or my ram... try testing ur pc with a different ram.. oh if u have a built in speaker that was with the case try to plug that into the motherboard to see if u hear any beeps.. but yeah.. im having the same prob.. i suppose either mobo or ram.. gotta test my ram somewhere.. or my system with a working ram..

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try disconnecting everything but the HSF, video card, and if you have more than one stick of RAM, them out and test each. If you can get another stick of RAM to try, even better Then start connecting the other parts and test after each.

ihatemotherboards

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
If the ram doesn't work or whatever the case is shouldn't the mother board react to that by beeping? so if i'm getting NO BEEPING something is wrong with the motherboard right? I only have one stick of ram but regardless shouldn't the motherboard alert me that the ram doesn't work? I tried it stripped down to RAM, Vid card, CPU, motherboard, Power supply and I got nothing but the same thing. Blank screen.. nothing boots up. Seems like everything is getting power wow this is really frustrating I just want to know the problem so I can replace it =/

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It sounds like the mobo but I think it makes sense to eliminate as much as possible. Should it beep? Yes, but nothing is perfect. Did you get one beep when it was working? Double check case's audio cable. If you have access to another video card, I'd try that. If you're really that frustrated or just tired of messing with it, RMA the board.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
u try pluggin in the built in speaker?.. i didnt get beeps till i did that...

but i mean gotta eliminate things before u can replace..

hell yheah its fustrating that the comp dont work.. but i mean im just tryna be patient even tho it sucks ass..
try the built in speaker..

ihatemotherboards

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Yes the speakers are plugged in and I use to get a BEEP when it started up. Is it possibly the PSU though? Power seems to be getting to everything but maybe the PSU isn't working 100%? I don't know just wondering. But yeah speakers are plugged in so it should beep. I still have it under warranty should I just get it replaced?

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Do test out another PSU as that is frequently overlooked and as often as not (in my experience) the cause of a failure like you have described.

Q