emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Hey there,

So I've been considering taking advantage of the fact that my motherboard on my desktop has dual-NICS and my server box has two NICS as well. Rather than just having the one line from each goign to the router (and to the net), I was thinking of setting up a cross-over connection between the two machines, thus preventing file transfer between the two machiens from having to go over the whole network.

Who knows how I can set up a permanent static route so that all requests to my server will go through the cross over conenction rather than the global one?

nilness

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Turn on File and Printer Sharing for the crossover connection and turn it off on the connection to the router.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
I do more than jsut file-share across the line. Server runs a data base, web stuff, etc, and I want to have it so all traffic that routes directly between the two machines (going both ways) goes over the cross-over connection, ratehr than the stadard line going to the rest of the network/internet (i.e. all traffic for 192.168.1.200 put on eth1).

Anyone got more suggestions?