[PW][NS][POLL] Take PokeWars to the Web?

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2005 7:12:18 PM

I am well aware the PokeWars has its own website. However, I have
recently started playing in a couple forum-based RPGs that are on the
web. You know, the HTML kind. Perhaps this is just the bandwagoning
part of my brain talking, but I started wondering what it would be like
to run my own role-playing forum. Unable to think up a subject I like
better (or, at least, one that isn't a recognizable franchise), I
thought, why not a Pokemon RPG based off of PokeWars?

I'll probably never actually do this regardless of poll results (I may
be too busy, what with school and possibly my first job), but who thinks
it'd be a good idea to take PokeWars to the web?

I suggest the following stipulations to the PokeWars webRP:
* The new forum will follow the PokeWars FAQ already in play here. This
includes, most importantly, the rules on cannon characters and Legendaries.
* The continuity of the new forum will be different from the one here.
That means everyone starts over with brand new characters. They can be
the same characters we've been playing here, but they will have to begin
anew. I feel this will allow us to play the game in both places if we
want to, plus newer members won't need to go to another site to view the
game's history.
* The game will include the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Orre regions (this
is negotiable) even if no one has to play in them. We can always add
more regions when they come out.

Advantages to using a webforum:
* Automatic archiving: We won't need anyone to run an archive or use
Google to search for old posts. They'd be in one place for easy access.
* Group by location: In the newsgroup, it's not unusual for a single
thread to stretch from town to town. In a webforum, we could divide the
board into sections based on region, city, even landmarks like gyms and
buildings. Smaller or more general areas, like rooms or streets, can
just have their own threads. Instead of writing in one thread until
it's too long to handle, you could move characters from one thread to
another and back again as the situation dictates.
* Post editing and deleting: I don't know about you, but I can't edit my
own newsgroup posts.
* Banning: Banning can be used to actually remove people from the game,
whereas here we can't do much more than ignore them.
* Segregation of NS and NC: We can have seperate sections for non-story
and non-continuity posts. This can make them easier to find and, of
course, you won't need to use the tags.
* Cool Stuff: Avatars, color and image signatures, basically what I've
been telling people not to do around here. You could even turn them off
so you won't have to see them.
* Private messages: You can send board members personal messages without
needing their e-mail address or IM screennames.
* Information Station: We can have a section of the board dedicated to
housing all RP-related Pokemon data, including movesets, breeding, and
stuff like that. We can even put in a place for Writer's
Guides/Character sheets.

Basically, I'm thinking more organized and prettier. Also, more people
can find the game. Plus, we can still run the original game here if we
want to. What do you think?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

More about : poll pokewars web

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:30:34 PM

Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
> I am well aware the PokeWars has its own website. However, I have
> recently started playing in a couple forum-based RPGs that are on the
> web. You know, the HTML kind. Perhaps this is just the bandwagoning
> part of my brain talking, but I started wondering what it would be like
> to run my own role-playing forum. Unable to think up a subject I like
> better (or, at least, one that isn't a recognizable franchise), I
> thought, why not a Pokemon RPG based off of PokeWars?
>
> I'll probably never actually do this regardless of poll results (I may
> be too busy, what with school and possibly my first job), but who thinks
> it'd be a good idea to take PokeWars to the web?

It sounds like an excellent idea. Sadly, I'm not exactly one who can
easily do something like this, as I'm busy with school and finding a
job (not to mention the fact that I know next to nothing about HTML).
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:27:31 AM

Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
> Also, more people
> can find the game.

That is potentially untrue, and the main killer.

In AGNP, people come for Pokemon, and a few lurk the game.

On its own Website, people wouldn't have any reason to come unless they
already knew about the game (which, without active advertising, no one
outside the game would).

I've seen many RPGs try exactly this: switch from one forum (Web board
or Usenet group) to their own Web site. Each and every one died a slow,
painful death as many marginally-active people never switched and the
remainder eventually stopped posting. (I know, you said we could run
the game here at the same time - but that splits energy, and there may
be some slight ill feelings from those who want more people to switch to
the Web site.) I'd rather not subject any PW! authors to that avoidable
experience.

(Ironically, I could do this if I wanted. I run my own Web sites, and
http://www.wingedcat.org/ could certainly host this. I even do Web
programming professionally, although I suspect y'all'd want one of the
established bulliten board systems.)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:27:53 PM

"Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker" <ZeroOhki@netscape.net> wrote in
message news:430cf38b@news.usenetzone.com...
>I am well aware the PokeWars has its own website. However, I have recently
>started playing in a couple forum-based RPGs that are on the web. You
>know, the HTML kind. Perhaps this is just the bandwagoning part of my
>brain talking, but I started wondering what it would be like to run my own
>role-playing forum. Unable to think up a subject I like better (or, at
>least, one that isn't a recognizable franchise), I thought, why not a
>Pokemon RPG based off of PokeWars?
>
> I'll probably never actually do this regardless of poll results (I may be
> too busy, what with school and possibly my first job), but who thinks it'd
> be a good idea to take PokeWars to the web?
>
> I suggest the following stipulations to the PokeWars webRP:
> * The new forum will follow the PokeWars FAQ already in play here. This
> includes, most importantly, the rules on cannon characters and
> Legendaries.

This will make it easier if veterans decide to go over. And it's really
simple enough for newbies too. Hell, when I started in PW!, I was there at
day one. It wasn't too hard.

> * The continuity of the new forum will be different from the one here.
> That means everyone starts over with brand new characters. They can be
> the same characters we've been playing here, but they will have to begin
> anew. I feel this will allow us to play the game in both places if we
> want to, plus newer members won't need to go to another site to view the
> game's history.

The catch of this is a lot of the old ones will eventually split over which
one they prefer. Usenet or Forum? Since the forum will probably be more
accessed by newer players, the Usenet version will probably die off.
Slowly, maybe, but eventually.

> * The game will include the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Orre regions (this is
> negotiable) even if no one has to play in them. We can always add more
> regions when they come out.

Well DUH! This is covered by the PW! rules IIRC. ^^

> Advantages to using a webforum:
> * Automatic archiving: We won't need anyone to run an archive or use
> Google to search for old posts. They'd be in one place for easy access.
> * Group by location: In the newsgroup, it's not unusual for a single
> thread to stretch from town to town. In a webforum, we could divide the
> board into sections based on region, city, even landmarks like gyms and
> buildings. Smaller or more general areas, like rooms or streets, can just
> have their own threads. Instead of writing in one thread until it's too
> long to handle, you could move characters from one thread to another and
> back again as the situation dictates.

Question: How would created locations (such as Azure Heights) be handled?
Would the rules be changed to disallow this? Otherwise, you're gonna get a
HELL of a lot of messes when people go on a creation binge. That'd make for
a messy forum.

> * Post editing and deleting: I don't know about you, but I can't edit my
> own newsgroup posts.
> * Banning: Banning can be used to actually remove people from the game,
> whereas here we can't do much more than ignore them.

These two are a bit tricky. Before, it used to be we'd vote on whether to
remove a character and their posts from continuity (I'm sure many remember
the first time we had to do that.), but with mods, they could go around
snipping things at will.
Pro: Quicker and easier control
Con: Tends to shift power from the group as a whole.

> * Segregation of NS and NC: We can have seperate sections for non-story
> and non-continuity posts. This can make them easier to find and, of
> course, you won't need to use the tags.

Nice idea. Very nice.

> * Cool Stuff: Avatars, color and image signatures, basically what I've
> been telling people not to do around here. You could even turn them off
> so you won't have to see them.
> * Private messages: You can send board members personal messages without
> needing their e-mail address or IM screennames.
> * Information Station: We can have a section of the board dedicated to
> housing all RP-related Pokemon data, including movesets, breeding, and
> stuff like that. We can even put in a place for Writer's Guides/Character
> sheets.

OK, that last part about the WGs should be fundamental. However, are there
going to be a way to allow easy access to the up to 4 WGs or are the rules
going to be restricted to one? One board name controlling multiple
characters could cause some confusion. Then again, we've been doing OK
here...

> Basically, I'm thinking more organized and prettier. Also, more people
> can find the game. Plus, we can still run the original game here if we
> want to. What do you think?

It sounds nice. Once you got more concrete plans, it could be a good move.
And if I had the programming knowledge, I could whip up a map that would
show where people were at the moment.
--
Fluxxdog

The worst crime you can commit against another human is to make them think.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:16:33 PM

William Rendfeld wrote:
> Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
>
>>I am well aware the PokeWars has its own website. However, I have
>>recently started playing in a couple forum-based RPGs that are on the
>>web. You know, the HTML kind. Perhaps this is just the bandwagoning
>>part of my brain talking, but I started wondering what it would be like
>>to run my own role-playing forum. Unable to think up a subject I like
>>better (or, at least, one that isn't a recognizable franchise), I
>>thought, why not a Pokemon RPG based off of PokeWars?
>>
>>I'll probably never actually do this regardless of poll results (I may
>>be too busy, what with school and possibly my first job), but who thinks
>>it'd be a good idea to take PokeWars to the web?
>>

> It sounds like an excellent idea. Sadly, I'm not exactly one who can
> easily do something like this, as I'm busy with school and finding a
> job (not to mention the fact that I know next to nothing about HTML).

Understandable. Knowledge of HTML is totally unnecessary, though. I
think I know where I can get a free message board. My mentioning HTML
was just to further express that it wasn't Usenet or anything else
non-web based. Or Flash.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
August 25, 2005 6:30:55 PM

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
>
>> Also, more people
>> can find the game.
>

> That is potentially untrue, and the main killer.
>
> In AGNP, people come for Pokemon, and a few lurk the game.
>
> On its own Website, people wouldn't have any reason to come unless they
> already knew about the game (which, without active advertising, no one
> outside the game would).
>
> I've seen many RPGs try exactly this: switch from one forum (Web board
> or Usenet group) to their own Web site. Each and every one died a slow,
> painful death as many marginally-active people never switched and the
> remainder eventually stopped posting. (I know, you said we could run
> the game here at the same time - but that splits energy, and there may
> be some slight ill feelings from those who want more people to switch to
> the Web site.) I'd rather not subject any PW! authors to that avoidable
> experience.

The energy split crossed my mind, but I hadn't really thought about
causing a rift. It would be another reason to have the forum start off
without usenet's history, potentially being a whole 'nother game, but it
wouldn't necessarily prevent such polarization. I don't have to call it
PokeWars, if that'd help further the distinction, but I am mainly
interested in using the FAQ and adapting it to a web forum should I
actually attempt this.

> (Ironically, I could do this if I wanted. I run my own Web sites, and
> http://www.wingedcat.org/ could certainly host this. I even do Web
> programming professionally, although I suspect y'all'd want one of the
> established bulliten board systems.)

I was actually thinking of using an established system like Invision or
EZBoard. Have you created message boards before?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
August 25, 2005 7:06:34 PM

Fluxxdog wrote:

> "Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker" <ZeroOhki@netscape.net> wrote in
> message news:430cf38b@news.usenetzone.com...
>
>>I suggest the following stipulations to the PokeWars webRP:
>>* The new forum will follow the PokeWars FAQ already in play here. This
>>includes, most importantly, the rules on cannon characters and
>>Legendaries.
>
> This will make it easier if veterans decide to go over. And it's really
> simple enough for newbies too. Hell, when I started in PW!, I was there at
> day one. It wasn't too hard.

In one board I go to, they prefer you to play cannon characters until
they decide you're good enough to make your own without messing up
history or something like that. I agree with the PokeWars stance,
especially since you don't need to know as much about a character
(including what other players did with them before you) in order to play
them.

>>* The game will include the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Orre regions (this is
>>negotiable) even if no one has to play in them. We can always add more
>>regions when they come out.
>

> Well DUH! This is covered by the PW! rules IIRC. ^^

Yeah, but I wanted to state this as opposed to letting people wonder if
it'll only take place in one region.

>>Advantages to using a webforum:
>>* Automatic archiving: We won't need anyone to run an archive or use
>>Google to search for old posts. They'd be in one place for easy access.
>>* Group by location: In the newsgroup, it's not unusual for a single
>>thread to stretch from town to town. In a webforum, we could divide the
>>board into sections based on region, city, even landmarks like gyms and
>>buildings. Smaller or more general areas, like rooms or streets, can just
>>have their own threads. Instead of writing in one thread until it's too
>>long to handle, you could move characters from one thread to another and
>>back again as the situation dictates.
>

> Question: How would created locations (such as Azure Heights) be handled?
> Would the rules be changed to disallow this? Otherwise, you're gonna get a
> HELL of a lot of messes when people go on a creation binge. That'd make for
> a messy forum.

A player can start a thread that takes place in (and, ideally,
describes) the location. This makes creating Azure Heights as simple as
creating your own house or even a secret hideout. If the area becomes
important enough, I could turn into a "sticky" (giving it a permanent
place at the top of the list) or even create another section for it.
Otherwise, it'll slowly (or rapidly) drift down the list as more active
threads take precidence and move upward.

>>* Post editing and deleting: I don't know about you, but I can't edit my
>>own newsgroup posts.
>>* Banning: Banning can be used to actually remove people from the game,
>>whereas here we can't do much more than ignore them.
>

> These two are a bit tricky. Before, it used to be we'd vote on whether to
> remove a character and their posts from continuity (I'm sure many remember
> the first time we had to do that.), but with mods, they could go around
> snipping things at will.
> Pro: Quicker and easier control
> Con: Tends to shift power from the group as a whole.

I could make it policy to put up a poll before mods or admins take
drastic action. Other than that, there's not much I can do to prevent
them from taking drastic action unless I remove their power to ban
people. But then, only I (assuming I'm the root admin) would have that
power, and I don't want to force my own attendance if I lose total
interest in running the board.

>>* Information Station: We can have a section of the board dedicated to
>>housing all RP-related Pokemon data, including movesets, breeding, and
>>stuff like that. We can even put in a place for Writer's Guides/Character
>>sheets.
>

> OK, that last part about the WGs should be fundamental. However, are there
> going to be a way to allow easy access to the up to 4 WGs or are the rules
> going to be restricted to one? One board name controlling multiple
> characters could cause some confusion. Then again, we've been doing OK
> here...

There will be a section (a subboard, if you will) for, well, almost
everything, including WG's. The policy of the WG board will be that
each player starts a WG thread in which they can only have up to four
WGs. Admins and Mods can concatenate or seperate threads if need be.

>>Basically, I'm thinking more organized and prettier. Also, more people
>>can find the game. Plus, we can still run the original game here if we
>>want to. What do you think?
>

> It sounds nice. Once you got more concrete plans, it could be a good move.
> And if I had the programming knowledge, I could whip up a map that would
> show where people were at the moment.

In a couple of the boards I go to, player indicate their location in
their signatures, as well as some basic information about their
characters. Although, they tend to do this with only one or two of
their characters, but they don't usually have more than that.

My personal concern is culture clash between the folks here on usenet
and anyone I'd invite from a webforum. Here, it's pretty much a given
that another player will take control of your character, whereas
everywhere else it's a good way to get people mad at you. On the web,
it's all "I attempt to punch you" and "I try to throw you into a wall,"
but in PokeWars it's not unusual for someone to write the entire fight
scene, for instance. It's the same way with conversations. I,
personally, have little doubt that anyone I'd want to bring over from
here would be courteous enough to not to take control of someone else's
character, but the number one rule of Game Mastering is "Expect the
players not to do what you think they should." I trust you all with my
character's lives, but I want to make sure you all realize not everyone
else will.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
August 26, 2005 9:58:14 AM

Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
> The energy split crossed my mind, but I hadn't really thought about
> causing a rift. It would be another reason to have the forum start off
> without usenet's history, potentially being a whole 'nother game, but it
> wouldn't necessarily prevent such polarization. I don't have to call it
> PokeWars, if that'd help further the distinction, but I am mainly
> interested in using the FAQ and adapting it to a web forum should I
> actually attempt this.

I would strongly suggest renaming the Web-based one, to make it clear
that it isn't PW!. (You can acknowledge the ancestry in the FAQ, but
make it separate.) That way, if it fails, its failure has minimal
backwash over here, while if it suceeds, newbies don't think they have
to even know what AGNP is.

You'd still have the problem of attracting new members, though. The
root of that problem is, a game is almost never enough to draw people on
its own, and without a constant (even if minimal) influx of new blood to
replace the inevitable losses, it always drags to a halt as people drop
out. Thus, the only survival strategy is to be a parasite (or symbiote,
depending on your point of view) on something else that can attract new
members on its own - say, an established Pokemon discussion board.

....although, if you seriously want to try to tackle that problem, I
wonder if you could get this going on Nintendo's own forums at
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board?board.id=poke... ? You'd have
to ask the mods politely, and even then expect a possible no due to
culture clash. (I'd rather not diss them outright, but a quick check of
their forum, and reflecting on the fact that they are by definition the
professionals at running a Pokemon forum, should give you sufficient
insight as to what I mean.) Of course, if they say yes, then
*definitely* the new game should be named something else.

> I was actually thinking of using an established system like Invision or
> EZBoard. Have you created message boards before?

From scratch. But, I agree, it'd be a lot easier to use an established
system.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:19:18 PM

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> You'd still have the problem of attracting new members, though. The
> root of that problem is, a game is almost never enough to draw people on
> its own, and without a constant (even if minimal) influx of new blood to
> replace the inevitable losses, it always drags to a halt as people drop
> out. Thus, the only survival strategy is to be a parasite (or symbiote,
> depending on your point of view) on something else that can attract new
> members on its own - say, an established Pokemon discussion board.

You mean taking the game to an established Pokemon board? I could see
how it would keep my game alive, but it's not the same as having my own
forum, which is part of the reason (if not the only reason) I wanted to
do this in the first place. Unless you think they'd actually give me
that much control over part of their forum?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
August 29, 2005 4:15:33 PM

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> From scratch. But, I agree, it'd be a lot easier to use an established
> system.

I've started looking at message boards and I'm wondering what one made
by you would look like. Can you provide me with an example?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
August 30, 2005 8:59:12 AM

Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
> You mean taking the game to an established Pokemon board? I could see
> how it would keep my game alive,

Error 1: it is not "your" game. To manage a good game, the first thing
to acknowledge is that it belongs to everyone participating in it.
(This is even more true of GM-less games like PW! than of traditional
RPGs.) This has to do with the state of mind you approach decisions
about the game in, especially when players start doing things you don't
really care about one way or another.

> but it's not the same as having my own
> forum, which is part of the reason (if not the only reason) I wanted to
> do this in the first place.

Error 2: if you want to run your own forum, set that out as your primary
objective. A shared game running on your forum can be one of the
features...and then maybe it will be "your" game, since you'd
automatically be the GM (being the board's main administrator).
However, it takes far more than a one-trick pony to make an even
moderately successful forum. Example: the Webcomics with attached
forums I've seen, which try to limit forum discussion to just the comic,
tend to not have that much traffic (with exceptions like Secret of Mana
Theater's, but that's primarily because that's just an awesome comic, in
the opinions of its fans). The successful forums allow all kinds of
other discussions...but they tend to be fairly small, borderline dead
communities without some other draw (say, multiple comics, or
semi-related content generated by the fans; active RP sections can help
a little bit too).

> Unless you think they'd actually give me
> that much control over part of their forum?

Error 3: a PW!-like game doesn't *need* control over part of a forum,
save for minor administrative tasks like booting players...and usually
any player doing that will run afoul of whatever admins are there in the
first place. It does, however, require that the admins agree with the
concept of the game - thus the potential culture clash I mentioned,
given the apparent character of Nintendo's forums. If the admins do not
agree, they are more likely to kick the game itself off - threads
deleted, main player accounts possibly banned, et cetera.

But like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask. Explain to them what you want,
impress upon them that you wouldn't need to be made an admin (unless
they wouldn't mind another volunteer admin, say if they're overworked),
and ask if the game is compatible with their forum or if they'd be
willing to create a subforum for it. The worst they can do is say no.
(They're professionals. They'd lose their jobs if they tried to do much
more than that. However...don't rub PW! in their faces before they ask
for details or say yes or no, and especially if they do say no. If it
turns out they don't want something amounting to multi-author fan
fiction on their official servers, it's in our best interests if they
continue turning a blind eye to AGNP.) Or they could say yes, and let
you set up the game...but only as an ordinary user, with any disputes
about banning to be routed through them for judgement.

> Adrian Tymes wrote:
>> From scratch. But, I agree, it'd be a lot easier to use an established
>> system.
>
> I've started looking at message boards and I'm wondering what one made
> by you would look like. Can you provide me with an example?

http://www.wingedcat.org/cgi-bin/whydah.cgi
Username: Test
Password: test

This is one I made for a game that people wanted to try moving to a
board after failed attempts to coordinate an IRC session. Note that
there hasn't been any new content for over a year - I'm calling the move
failed, and the game dead in the attempt to transition, so I'm not
worried about the content. Also note the distinct lack of tons of cool
features, as opposed to (say) a phpBB system: this was a minimal board
created solely for the game, without need of many features. (Although
I've yet to see a phpBB-alike with an integrated dicebot, not that PW!
has need of one.) It took me less than 24 hours to code and test, and
more importantly I thought there was a good chance it'd be useful for
its intended purpose. (No new players were anticipated, and the
campaign had a pre-planned storyline and ending.)

It is within my ability to create a phpBB-alike, given enough time. But
it is also within my ability to see that that would be a major waste of
my time and effort, when you could simply use one of the major BB
systems already in existance. (Unless you want to pay me. The exact
rate is negotiable, and how long I'd need would depend on the features
you'd want, but at a rough estimate expect to pay several thousand
dollars a month for a few months: I'm good, so I'm not cheap. You can
find cheaper programmers, but I guarantee you, they'll give you an
inferior product and/or take so much longer - whether or not they say
they can code as fast as I can - that they'd wind up costing you more in
the end.)

It is within my ability to install one of said major BB systems on my
servers. However, I still think it is an Extremely Bad Idea to put this
on its own server without any other traffic to draw players in: all
evidence suggests that such will die slowly without new players, and
wind up a disappointment to all involved. (You don't even have to have
many - heck, PW!'s survived with but a minor trickle. But having it on
its own shuts out everyone who doesn't already have a reason to be
looking at it.)

Unless you can answer my objections to my satisfaction, you won't get my
help (beyond my advice) in setting this up, either in writing another
board or in using my servers in any way, shape, or form. So far, you've
made no apparent effort to do so. You say you want to do this, but
that's different. I want to fly - but that doesn't mean I can simply
jump off a cliff and successfully imitate an eagle, nor does it mean
that building my own airplane and getting a pilot's license is cheaper
than buying an airline ticket.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 8:37:03 PM

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
> > You mean taking the game to an established Pokemon board? I could see
> > how it would keep my game alive,
>
> Error 1: it is not "your" game. To manage a good game, the first thing
> to acknowledge is that it belongs to everyone participating in it.
> (This is even more true of GM-less games like PW! than of traditional
> RPGs.) This has to do with the state of mind you approach decisions
> about the game in, especially when players start doing things you don't
> really care about one way or another.

By "my game," I meant "The game I'm starting" as opposed to "the game
we're already playing." By "the game," I meant "the web-based
incarnation of PW!" as opposed to "dragging everyone from Usenet to the
web." I just couldn't think of better terms at the time. Or maybe I
didn't and I'm trying to spin this so I don't totally look like a greedy
bastard. Either way, I apologize.

> > but it's not the same as having my own
> > forum, which is part of the reason (if not the only reason) I wanted to
> > do this in the first place.
>
> Error 2: if you want to run your own forum, set that out as your primary
> objective. A shared game running on your forum can be one of the
> features...and then maybe it will be "your" game, since you'd
> automatically be the GM (being the board's main administrator).
> However, it takes far more than a one-trick pony to make an even
> moderately successful forum.

I meant RP Forum, actually, but you still have a point. I personally
subscribe to the "it's all on-topic, even if it isn't" philosophy. The
NS section of the board won't exist purely for game discussion and would
have many subsections, including General Discussion, Fan-Created Stuff,
Non-Continuity Battle Arena and other things that I think deserve their
own section. At this point, I feel it necessary to point to an example
of what I'm shooting for, at least organization-wise. Submitted for
your approval, a game I'm currently playing, Mega Man Crosswars:
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Mega_Man_Crosswars/

> > Unless you think they'd actually give me
> > that much control over part of their forum?
>
> Error 3: a PW!-like game doesn't *need* control over part of a forum,
> save for minor administrative tasks like booting players...and usually
> any player doing that will run afoul of whatever admins are there in the
> first place. It does, however, require that the admins agree with the
> concept of the game - thus the potential culture clash I mentioned,
> given the apparent character of Nintendo's forums. If the admins do not
> agree, they are more likely to kick the game itself off - threads
> deleted, main player accounts possibly banned, et cetera.

Eh... I was seduced by the glitz and glamour of running my own board,
and that was guiding my thinking. In terms of bringing PW! to the
masses, Nintendo's forums would be more than adequate, I agree. In
terms of giving me total administrative power, not so much. That's
where error three comes from, as I was originally asking for permission
to use PW!'s FAQ for my own board. I see what you mean, though. This
is merely an explanation, not an argument or an excuse.

> But like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask. Explain to them what you want,
> impress upon them that you wouldn't need to be made an admin (unless
> they wouldn't mind another volunteer admin, say if they're overworked),
> and ask if the game is compatible with their forum or if they'd be
> willing to create a subforum for it.

I remember reading an article in Nintendo Power back in the day about
how they had Metroid and Legend of Zelda RPs in their forums. They
eventually took them down, but I forget why.

> Unless you can answer my objections to my satisfaction, you won't get my
> help (beyond my advice) in setting this up, either in writing another
> board or in using my servers in any way, shape, or form. So far, you've
> made no apparent effort to do so. You say you want to do this, but
> that's different. I want to fly - but that doesn't mean I can simply
> jump off a cliff and successfully imitate an eagle, nor does it mean
> that building my own airplane and getting a pilot's license is cheaper
> than buying an airline ticket.

I was originally planning on setting up the board myself, anyway.
Although, I was considering making you an admin as well if you were to
join. There's not many people I would trust enough to make an admin,
but you were one of the first to come to mind.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
September 2, 2005 7:14:24 AM

Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:

> My personal concern is culture clash between the folks here on usenet
> and anyone I'd invite from a webforum. Here, it's pretty much a given
> that another player will take control of your character, whereas
> everywhere else it's a good way to get people mad at you. On the web,
> it's all "I attempt to punch you" and "I try to throw you into a wall,"
> but in PokeWars it's not unusual for someone to write the entire fight
> scene, for instance. It's the same way with conversations. I,
> personally, have little doubt that anyone I'd want to bring over from
> here would be courteous enough to not to take control of someone else's
> character, but the number one rule of Game Mastering is "Expect the
> players not to do what you think they should." I trust you all with my
> character's lives, but I want to make sure you all realize not everyone
> else will.

Well, the culture clash will be absolutely unavoidable. But I think
your concerns are a little unfounded ^^ Something like this will
warrant trust between individuals, otherwise, we'd have to wait what
basically boils down to waiting a day between...

"I throw a punch!"
1 day later...
"I dodge it!"
1 day later...
"Uh, now what?"
"oops. I forgot to tell you I kicked you in the stomach."
"No you didn't! I'd have dodged it!"
The hell with the one day laters, you get the point...
"No you wouldn't! I'm too good!"
"No your not! L4M3R!!" And as we all know, once insults start getting
slung around in 733+, it's over. Having the forum set up to allow for
people to temporarily take some artisitc license shouldn't be too much
of a problem. After all, it's one hell of an interwoven story.

Tell you what, if you get it started, I'll help with laying down the
ground rules. Years of DMing helps when you make house rules ^^
--
Fluxxdog

The worst crime you can commit against another human being is to make
them think.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:16:59 PM

Fluxxdog wrote:

> Tell you what, if you get it started, I'll help with laying down the
> ground rules. Years of DMing helps when you make house rules ^^

I was just considering modifying the PW! FAQ for webforum use, but I was
working on it last night and I'm not entirely certain what parts need to
be specifically stated and which parts are standard enough that they
tend to be implied. Except for the tags, which I'm sure I can just dump
since the board will be divided into sections. I'm also trying to come
up with a name. Right now, I'm thinking "Pokemon: Special Operations,"
or "PokeOps" for short. I find it funny. PokeOps. Heh.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

Most Screwed-Up Headline Ever: Coke Found in Baby Shot by Cops

Blog: The Chet Weaver Diaries (http://chetweaver.blogspot.com)
AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: The Virtual Life (http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com)

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
September 2, 2005 10:07:31 PM

Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
> Fluxxdog wrote:
>

>> Tell you what, if you get it started, I'll help with laying down the
>> ground rules. Years of DMing helps when you make house rules ^^
>

> I was just considering modifying the PW! FAQ for webforum use, but I was
> working on it last night and I'm not entirely certain what parts need to
> be specifically stated and which parts are standard enough that they
> tend to be implied. Except for the tags, which I'm sure I can just dump
> since the board will be divided into sections. I'm also trying to come
> up with a name. Right now, I'm thinking "Pokemon: Special Operations,"
> or "PokeOps" for short. I find it funny. PokeOps. Heh.

Crud... I don't have the link to the FAQ! Left it on my Windows drive.
Care to post a link or or the FAQ itself with your suggested changes?

--
Fluxxdog

The worst crime you can commit against another human being is to make
them think.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:36:38 PM

Fluxxdog wrote:
> Chet Weaver - Intersteller Hitchhiker wrote:
>
>> Fluxxdog wrote:
>>

>>> Tell you what, if you get it started, I'll help with laying down the
>>> ground rules. Years of DMing helps when you make house rules ^^
>>

>> I was just considering modifying the PW! FAQ for webforum use, but I
>> was working on it last night and I'm not entirely certain what parts
>> need to be specifically stated and which parts are standard enough
>> that they tend to be implied. Except for the tags, which I'm sure I
>> can just dump since the board will be divided into sections. I'm also
>> trying to come up with a name. Right now, I'm thinking "Pokemon:
>> Special Operations," or "PokeOps" for short. I find it funny.
>> PokeOps. Heh.
>>

> Crud... I don't have the link to the FAQ! Left it on my Windows drive.
> Care to post a link or or the FAQ itself with your suggested changes?

There's a copy of it at the PokeWars! Pavilion
(http://pokewars.pipian.com/), but it's version 3.5. I had to search on
Google for version 3.6. I think I'll go ahead and post it, and hope
no one minds it. I've already rewritten part of it into a character
creation post (in a seperate file, of course). I'll put it up for
comments here, if you think it's a good idea.

I'm considering making the PokeOps board on ezBoard since I already have
a global account there, although the Nintendo.com Forums idea has piqued
my interest. I know I rejected it earlier since it doesn't involve me
having my own message board, but for some reason the idea intrigues me
now. I'll try to keep it in mind for when I ultimately lose interest in
having my own board completely.