Apple could double market share at the expense of Microsoft

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Yes, let's hear it for pointless, immature comments. Fanboyism (or 'brand loyalty' as that article called it) isn't good either.

The debate for/against Intel Macs could go on forever. The things we know are that it's physically faster. However, part of the Apple loyalty was because they were so stable, and the 'in house' nature of all the hardware and software contributed to that, which Intel detracts from.

The 'iPod doesn't fit into Apple brand' crap is ages old, and, well, crap. iPod has hailed a prosperous era for Apple. But I think that's partly because people now see Apple as a design icon, and that's what you want in your home. I have yet to see a PC that looks as nice, even nearly, and that, at the end of the day, is what most of the consumer public see when they look at a computer. We're talking about people who decide whether to get a Dell or an HP depending on what colour it is.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
No, let's hear it for opinions, because just like you, that's what I gave. You are entitled to yours, and I'm entitled to mine. Call my comments whatever you like, I don't really care. I've worked on enough of them to formulate my opinion of them being overhyped and overpriced. I apologize for not being one of those trendy people that simply have to have something from a "design icon" sitting around my house that I've paid through the nose for. As for the iPod, I'm also not the only one that thinks they are an overpriced piece of junk. Check the web, lots of others share my opinion. Then again, lots don't. We're all entitled. Perhaps the really pointless, immature people are those who are buying this stuff only because it has become trendy and reached "design icon" status. Vanity, a poor reason for buying anything. It's not my problem people are becoming more concerned with form than function and value. By the way, because I think they are overhyped and overpriced, that makes me a fanboy of what? Nothing that you can discern from my comment. It makes me NOT a fanboy of Apple. Don't make unwarranted suppositions.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
First of all I was just saying that being a fanboy was stupid in general, and I realise that you definitely aren't a fanboy of Apple. Although I think you should qualify your opinion if you don't want it challenged.

The point I was making was that most PC users are the sort that will just say 'oh, Dell, they're good, aren't they?' who are the same people who will buy something because of it's colour, like all the people who will pay extra for a BMW convertible, for example. They've heard of Apple, and they think - 'Well, I like my iPod, and it does look nice. I'll take it!'.

And you can't argue with the fact that people see Apple as a design icon because of iPod and are quite happy to 'pay through the nose' for one.

Vanity is a poor reason to buy anything, and most 'power users' who switch from PC to Mac do so for reasons of stability or just being more suited to what they need, rather than the fact that it's just so darn purdy.

I don't see how people can argue against Mac because the :eek: shock horror :eek: don't look like a rejected design for R2D2 that's watched the Fast and the Furious too many times.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm saying that the average somebody who goes into a computer store looking to buy a computer isn't going to be impressed by how many cold cathodes and neon fans a PC has, they're going to be impressed with how the computer is almost (or is) silent, and how the 'all in one box' design means that there is no spaghetti hanging out of the back.

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Anyone who is serious about computing has to ask the following questions to him/herself:
-what is it, that I want to do?
-what software is available to accomplish that?
-what O/S do I need to run this software?
-What are the hardware requirements to accomplish this?

Unfortunately, thare are masses of feeble minds who think there is discussion going on about Apple vs Windows. These sheep in a herd don't have frigging clue what they are talking about. Going for marketshare of MS or the good looks of Apple is absolutely nonsense. Clueless.
:wink:

The many disadvantages of a "all-in-one" design far outweigh the single advantage you mentioned. For instance, if that monitor dies off warranty, you're stuck with a very expensive repair bill... or you have to put out the cost of a whole new unit.

Does it happen often? Nope. But I've had it happen enough where I make sure I'm able to replace only the component that dies... rather than have to replace the entire unit.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides, sure.

You have to pick and choose which advantages you need more - for example I'm soon buying an Apple desktop computer. The advantage is the Apple stability, which is great for what I want. But in another situation a PC might be better.

If I don't point out the Apple advantages nobody will - I'm not really playing devils advocate because I happen to lean toward Apple right now, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Apple's stability is a little over-rated, IMO.

Comparable stability is definately possible and achieved on Wintel machines as well... not to mention Linux. I know I haven't had any stability issues in quite some time... and never had any whatsoever at work.

I think Mac "enthusiasts" like to exaggerate stability issues with Wintel platforms. I'm not denying they exist, but they do exist on Macs as well... and to hear a MacHead talk, you'd think a Mac never crashed.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
My Mac has never crashed (I've not been a convert for long, though, so I can't comment first hand. Runs better than Windows IME, though).

Example, a fellow musician I know has written and recorded 3 albums, produced all of the press releases and created his website, all on an iBook 12" with an 800mhz G4 - not exactly high performance, but it's never crashed on him.

Although I do appreciate your point about 'enthusiasts' (read: FANBOYS) exaggerating stability issues with Windows. I'm not in the best of moods with Windows at the moment, my W2K server just totally crashed :x

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Windows is really a good deal...
You get at least 3 Service Packs, daily Critical Updates and the constant never ending trhreat of viruses.....all for just 1 price. Unlimted updates for free! :D

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I updated my P'book earlier for what I think is the first time, there was a pretty big list, but I think most of it was updates for iLife etc...

Obviously no security howlers like the ones that MS seem to be able to make headlines worldwide about.

"ZOMBIE COMPUTER NETWORK ASSEMBLES ROBOT SPAMMING GIRLFRIEND FOR HACKER BECAUSE OF INTERNET EXPLORER"

....or something like that :roll:

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
ROFL

I had an Apple Lisa back in '84 with the 7/7 office operating system. It would do things that MS Windoze XP can hardly do today. Never imagined that in all the time passed, so little would change in GUI.
Hats off to the Rank Xerox Lab. people who invented the windows concept with point and click GUI. Shame on their management who didn't know what to do with it. Sold the stuff to Gates and Jobbs. Ever wondered how the world would look like today if they hadn't?
Now, don't call me a an Apple fan, cause I also use XP on a PC (for games). Real work that pays the bill and put butter on my bread will be done a Mac, as it has since '84 when people who were getting by on C/PM were mocking that a computer with a mouse could not be taken seriously......
/End nostalgic mode
:roll: