Why install 3 times: multiboot 3 cloned XP systems from ON..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Please help if you can as no thread seems to address this interesting
task:
Let's say I want 3 different windows XP (on 3 different volumes of
course) on my pc. But I just want to make ONE full installation once;
customize it, add basic applications (Winrar, Kerio, Wintask, Spybot,
Geforce drivers, Soundblaster drivers, etc....

Installing all 3 XP systems one by one is easy BUT really time
consuming. I guess you would agree on that.

Here is my amateur's way of doing it (It seems to be bug free but I
am not 100% positive on that yet): If you already have a bug free
method for doing that then just let me know (and don't waste your
time reading the rest of the post)
Remarks:
[ I am not confronted to "System" partition problems (XP's Disk
management terminology) because I always create on the first IDE drive,
a small and unique Primary partition holding only the boot sector,
boot.ini etc... All other partitions are created inside Extended
partitions. So drive letter problems would concern only "Boot
partition" (XP's Disk management terminology) the volume containing
the OS]
[Some non-critical details about the PC I used to (apparently) succeed
in the described task:
P4 (intel chipset)/ 2x Ide HDD/ 1x Scsi/ one primary/ rest is extended/
most 20 volumes are Fat32. One XP system is already installed ]

Now the procedure:

1) Installing and customizing a nice Windows XP SP2 system which would
become the Template.
2) disabling the swap file of this Template XP system, before I
3) clone it with Ghost (one could use another application) from another
independent XP system where I
4) use Disk Management to change the drive letter of the future target
partition to match the template's drive letter.

Summary part 1: I want to clone my perfect template XP system (logical
drive or volume) to another empty logical drive. When I boot my
Template XP sys, my "boot" drive letter is U: (It is also called
"systemdrive" terminology of the command "set" under command
prompt.)
So I need all my future target cloned XP systems to get U: as a
"boot" drive letter to avoid BIG PROBLEMS. Of course, the danger is
to work on a system which reads and writes on 2 different volumes (the
template and the clone) depending on registry inconsistencies.
Then :
5) Check my boot.ini file and add the necessary lines to be able to
boot the future system on the different volume I have chosen.
6) Then I reboot and get out of the independent XP system I just used
(it is not the template, and it is not a future cloned system)
7) I press F8, select safe mode, and then select my new
Frankenstein's cloned XP system to boot.
8) It will manage to boot because it is reading data on the Template XP
system (U:) (if I hide the Template's volume (or partition) then it
does not boot.)
9) Because I am in safe mode, I am not damaging any of the 2 systems
even if it is a bastard system at this stage.
10) Now here is the most mysterious question: If I run "set" on
command prompt, I see that 70% of paths refer to U: and 30% to another
letter X:
11) Problem 1: X: drive letter is the "Boot partition" (XP's Disk
management terminology) the volume containing my cloned XP system. How
did windows decide to use X: rather then another free letter? Why 30%
of paths are affected?
12) Problem 2: U: drive letter is still assigned to the Template XP
system.
13) With Disk management, reassign U: with another letter (not possible
if you did not disable the swap file previously like I said, because
the swap file would be now on U:)
14) To reassign X: to U: use regedit:
Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
Right-click \DosDevices\X, and then click Rename to DosDevices\U:
----------------------------------
For details see KB223188:
How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
Article ID:223188Last Review:July 15, 2004Revision:4.1
-----------------------------------
15) Reboot, check with the "set" command if everything is ok, all
paths show U:\
16)enable a swap file
If you know a better way or can answer questions on point 11, then
please share it with me... I am wondering how does XP manage drive
letter assignment priorities, because something is happening as I boot
my clone in safe mode for the first time and tells XP to keep most
paths as U: but assign to "program files" and "systemdirectory"
(set command) letter X:

Thank you for your patience and cheers from Switzerland
Mick
11 answers Last reply
More about install times multiboot cloned systems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In article <1112869450.260267.269980@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    mickrose@infomaniak.ch, says...

    > Please help if you can as no thread seems to address this interesting
    > task:
    > Let's say I want 3 different windows XP (on 3 different volumes of
    > course) on my pc. But I just want to make ONE full installation once;
    > customize it, add basic applications (Winrar, Kerio, Wintask, Spybot,
    > Geforce drivers, Soundblaster drivers, etc....

    You're walking in to a mine field......period! Cloning a primary
    installed OS to logicals will not ever work properly(IMHO)....Unless
    someone else knows a successful fix manipulating and changing the
    boot.ini file, I'd be happy to hear it........

    > Installing all 3 XP systems one by one is easy BUT really time
    > consuming. I guess you would agree on that.

    Yes I do, but it is the best way..........Why? I have 4 OS's on 1
    Primary IDE drive, all Primary partitions......and will not have any of
    the complicated scenarios you are describing.....The order: Win2K,
    WinXP, WinXP, Win2k........
    In this scenario though I do have other physical drives to store data as
    only 4 primary pt's are allowed on one drive at a time.
    Install clean on all 4 and image and save each one......The important
    part is to use a 3rd party boot manager to hide each independent OS
    installed and all your drive letter assignments will all be C and will
    successfully hide each OS that is not booted to at the time..........If
    you are not interested in this way than that's fine I'm expressing my
    opinion from my own experience...........If you have PartitionMagic and
    am interested I can tell you how I setup my system......If not, good
    luck..........
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thank you for your time,

    ByTor, you said: « Unless someone else knows a successful fix
    manipulating and changing the boot.ini file, I'd be happy to hear
    it........"

    The boot.ini is the least of my problems: it is very well documented
    and very easy to edit once you understood the rules. I prefer using the
    notepad rather than bootmagic or stuff like that...

    The main problem is drive letters and registry hives, "period!"
    Absolute path and relative path, I see no other limit than that.

    Years ago, we used to hide partitions of win95, 98 and it was just fine
    since Windows was not counting them as partitions when hidden. But NT
    does.

    About Xosl, bootmagic, system commander...

    I don't want my OS on primary IDE partition as C: I want my OS to run
    on my SCSI Hardware Raid0 extended partition. Why? Not because I like
    complicated scenarios but because it has a buffered read time of 113
    MB/s and average access time of 4 ms. So I want my OS on it.

    What info I cannot find in the online manual (dating December 2000) of
    XOSL is how it is going to solve the problem since hiding a partition
    is not a solution, read http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/
    Quoted:
    Hiding Partitions in Windows NT or 2000

    So don't hide partitions in XOSL for Windows 2000. That Operating
    System wants to know everything about your partitions and if you hide
    any it is confused and "restarts" all the time to reread the
    preferences.

    See my system as an example:

    DISKPART> select disk 1
    Disk 1 is now the selected disk.
    DISKPART> detail disk
    IC35L120AVVA07-0
    Disk ID: F780E8AD
    Type : IDE
    Bus : 1
    Target : 1
    LUN ID : 0

    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
    Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
    --------
    Volume 2 C C_SWAP2 FAT32 Partition 1012 MB Healthy
    System
    Volume 3 K TEMP2 FAT32 Partition 4479 MB Healthy
    Volume 4 D DELTA SYS FAT32 Partition 20 GB Healthy
    Volume 5 E ELLIPSE FAT32 Partition 49 GB Healthy
    Volume 6 F FEDERAL FAT32 Partition 40 GB Healthy
    Volume 7 G GAMA FAT32 Partition 28 GB Healthy
    Volume 8 H HAL FAT32 Partition 267 MB Healthy
    Volume 9 I IODA FAT32 Partition 9 GB Healthy
    Volume 10 S SWAP1 FAT32 Partition 1004 MB Healthy
    Volume 11 T TEMP1 FAT32 Partition 2000 MB Healthy
    Volume 12 J JASON SYS FAT32 Partition 16 GB Healthy
    Volume 13 L LARRY_16GB FAT32 Partition 16 GB Healthy
    Volume 14 M MISTY_34GB FAT32 Partition 34 GB Healthy
    Volume 15 N NANO_45GB FAT32 Partition 26 GB Healthy
    Volume 16 O ntfs volume NTFS Partition 20 GB Healthy
    Volume 17 R GEN_SYS_R1 FAT32 Partition 20 GB Healthy
    * Volume 18 Q GAME_SYS_R2 FAT32 Partition 20 GB Healthy
    Volume 19 U MUS_SYS_R3 FAT32 Partition 20 GB Healthy
    Boot
    Volume 20 P Ntfs_box_R4 NTFS Partition 26 GB Healthy

    Let's say I install this good old freeware XOSL, how is it going to
    make the ghost of volume number 19 become U: on volume number 18 ? I
    repeat here, let's forget about NTLDR and Boot.ini this is not the
    point; that is working just fine. The mystery is how does XP when it
    boots, modify the registry of the new cloned system from position
    Volume 18 when it expects to be on 19?

    So Pegasus, yes I am in the other case you mentioned, OS not on primary
    master.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In article <1112882214.222522.242230@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    mickrose@infomaniak.ch, says...

    > Thank you for your time,

    Dude you freakin lost me......Sorry if I misread your first
    posting......Good Luck..........
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    <mickrose@infomaniak.ch> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Right-click \DosDevices\X, and then click Rename to DosDevices\U:
    > ----------------------------------
    > For details see KB223188:
    > How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
    > Article ID:223188Last Review:July 15, 2004Revision:4.1
    > -----------------------------------
    > 15) Reboot, check with the "set" command if everything is ok, all
    > paths show U:\
    > 16)enable a swap file
    > If you know a better way or can answer questions on point 11, then
    > please share it with me... I am wondering how does XP manage drive
    > letter assignment priorities, because something is happening as I boot
    > my clone in safe mode for the first time and tells XP to keep most
    > paths as U: but assign to "program files" and "systemdirectory"
    > (set command) letter X:
    >
    > Thank you for your patience and cheers from Switzerland

    What you want to do can easily be done but your method is
    far too complicated and thus likely to fail. Here is a simpler
    and completely modular way:

    1. Install your primary WinXP OS. Make sure it is exactly
    the way you want it.

    2. Create an 8 GByte FAT partition at the far end of any
    of your disk. It can be a primary or logical partition. Name
    it "XOSL".

    3. Install XOSL in this partition. It's free. When you do,
    make absolutely sure that it does NOT go somewhere else.
    If you let it go elswhere then you lose that partition.

    4. Add WinXP to the XOSL menu. Test it.

    5. Create suitable partitions for the other copies of WinXP.
    They can be primary or logical partitions. Give them suitable
    names.

    6. Use a cloning tool (e.g. Ghost) to copy WinXP to those
    other partitions.

    7. Add those other OSs to the XOSL menu. Give them
    suitable names.

    8. Test those other OSs.

    That's it, your'e done!

    If any of your OSs are on a logical partition or on a drive
    other than your primary master drive then you need to do
    a little tweaking. Post again if this is the case.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In article <ewfQfH2OFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, I.can@fly.com,
    Pegasus (MVP) says...

> [...]
    > it "XOSL".
    >
    > 3. Install XOSL in this partition. It's free. When you do,
    > make absolutely sure that it does NOT go somewhere else.
    > If you let it go elswhere then you lose that partition.
    >
    > 4. Add WinXP to the XOSL menu. Test it.
    >
    > 5. Create suitable partitions for the other copies of WinXP.
    > They can be primary or logical partitions. Give them suitable
    > names.
    >
    > 6. Use a cloning tool (e.g. Ghost) to copy WinXP to those
    > other partitions.
    >
    > 7. Add those other OSs to the XOSL menu. Give them
    > suitable names.
    >
    > 8. Test those other OSs.
    >
    > That's it, your'e done!
    >
    > If any of your OSs are on a logical partition or on a drive
    > other than your primary master drive then you need to do
    > a little tweaking. Post again if this is the case.

    Does XOSL actually modify the original installed OS's ini once it's
    cloned to a different position to the new correct "partition" position??
    I have never had success cloning an OS(except win98) from any position
    and try to move it around........
    Example: 4 primary PT's on one drive.....Position order: 1,2,3,4.....
    If I tried to restore an image of position 4 to 1 it never works......Or
    not even restoring an image, just trying to move OS from 4 to 2 etc,
    etc......I'm not challenging you, I **would** be curious as to how this
    is done.........I have tried to change boot.ini's for the correct
    positions and it never worked, always got NTLDR missing???? It will save
    me the trouble of seperate installs myself......... ;0)
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > other than your primary master drive then you need to do
    > > a little tweaking. Post again if this is the case.
    > >

    > Does XOSL actually modify the original installed OS's ini once it's
    > cloned to a different position to the new correct "partition" position??
    > I have never had success cloning an OS(except win98) from any position
    > and try to move it around........
    > Example: 4 primary PT's on one drive.....Position order: 1,2,3,4.....
    > If I tried to restore an image of position 4 to 1 it never works......Or
    > not even restoring an image, just trying to move OS from 4 to 2 etc,
    > etc......I'm not challenging you, I **would** be curious as to how this
    > is done.........I have tried to change boot.ini's for the correct
    > positions and it never worked, always got NTLDR missing???? It will save
    > me the trouble of seperate installs myself......... ;0)

    XOSL does not modify any of the OSs or their boot environments.
    It simply hides all but one of the nominated partition, then passes
    control to the single unhidden partition for booting. Each OS
    will thus be visible as drive C:. You would usually make a
    data partition too. This must be a higher partition that any of
    the OS partitions, and it would be visible to all OSs.

    I forgot one important item in my first reply: The OP must
    adjust boot.ini for each OS so that it reflects the correct
    partition number of that OS.

    Don't worry about questioning or challenging what I write.
    It's all part of the newsgroup peer review process. I'm usually
    right but sometimes I get it spectacularly wrong!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In article <#wDsho2OFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, I.can@fly.com,
    Pegasus (MVP) says...

    > "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <ewfQfH2OFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, I.can@fly.com,
    > > Pegasus (MVP) says...
    > > >
    > > > <mickrose@infomaniak.ch> wrote in message

    > drive,
    > extended/

    > another

    > (logical
    > XP
    > possible

    > > > What you want to do can easily be done but your method is
    > > > far too complicated and thus likely to fail. Here is a simpler
    > > > and completely modular way:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Install your primary WinXP OS. Make sure it is exactly
    > > > the way you want it.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Create an 8 GByte FAT partition at the far end of any
    > > > of your disk. It can be a primary or logical partition. Name
    > > > it "XOSL".
    > > >
    > > > 3. Install XOSL in this partition. It's free. When you do,
    > > > make absolutely sure that it does NOT go somewhere else.
    > > > If you let it go elswhere then you lose that partition.
    > > >
    > > > 4. Add WinXP to the XOSL menu. Test it.
    > > >
    > > > 5. Create suitable partitions for the other copies of WinXP.
    > > > They can be primary or logical partitions. Give them suitable
    > > > names.
    > > >
    > > > 6. Use a cloning tool (e.g. Ghost) to copy WinXP to those
    > > > other partitions.
    > > >
    > > > 7. Add those other OSs to the XOSL menu. Give them
    > > > suitable names.
    > > >
    > > > 8. Test those other OSs.
    > > >
    > > > That's it, your'e done!
    > > >
    > > > If any of your OSs are on a logical partition or on a drive
    > > > other than your primary master drive then you need to do
    > > > a little tweaking. Post again if this is the case.
    > > >

    > > Does XOSL actually modify the original installed OS's ini once it's
    > > cloned to a different position to the new correct "partition" position??
    > > I have never had success cloning an OS(except win98) from any position
    > > and try to move it around........
    > > Example: 4 primary PT's on one drive.....Position order: 1,2,3,4.....
    > > If I tried to restore an image of position 4 to 1 it never works......Or
    > > not even restoring an image, just trying to move OS from 4 to 2 etc,
    > > etc......I'm not challenging you, I **would** be curious as to how this
    > > is done.........I have tried to change boot.ini's for the correct
    > > positions and it never worked, always got NTLDR missing???? It will save
    > > me the trouble of seperate installs myself......... ;0)
    > >

    > XOSL does not modify any of the OSs or their boot environments.
    > It simply hides all but one of the nominated partition, then passes
    > control to the single unhidden partition for booting. Each OS
    > will thus be visible as drive C:. You would usually make a
    > data partition too. This must be a higher partition that any of
    > the OS partitions, and it would be visible to all OSs.

    I've used XOSL & understand it's capability but thought I may have
    missed something......But at the time I found BootMagic to suit my needs
    better.....I'm just still in awe that I have never been succesfull at
    modifying the boot.ini......must have missed something, it obviously
    appears easy to do.....Oh well, than again that was a few years back,
    sorta gave up after a few ill attempts and just decided to do it my
    way....Been successfully multi-booting since.........

    > I forgot one important item in my first reply: The OP must
    > adjust boot.ini for each OS so that it reflects the correct
    > partition number of that OS.

    Yeah, I don't think the OP woulda been a happy camper.... ;0)

    > Don't worry about questioning or challenging what I write.
    > It's all part of the newsgroup peer review process. I'm usually
    > right but sometimes I get it spectacularly wrong!

    Usually right?? Okay.....Ego check at the door maybe?.... <;0>

    Just kidding, thanks for your input...........
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi, I know 8GB isn't much these days, after all the first HDD bought was
    5MB, but last I knew XOSL needed less that 8MB?

    FYI: I ran XOSL for a while and was quite impressed with it.

    http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > it "XOSL".
    >
    > 3. Install XOSL in this partition. It's free. When you do,
    > make absolutely sure that it does NOT go somewhere else.
    > If you let it go elswhere then you lose that partition.
    >
    > 4. Add WinXP to the XOSL menu. Test it.
    >
    > 5. Create suitable partitions for the other copies of WinXP.
    > They can be primary or logical partitions. Give them suitable
    > names.
    >
    > 6. Use a cloning tool (e.g. Ghost) to copy WinXP to those
    > other partitions.
    >
    > 7. Add those other OSs to the XOSL menu. Give them
    > suitable names.
    >
    > 8. Test those other OSs.
    >
    > That's it, your'e done!
    >
    > If any of your OSs are on a logical partition or on a drive
    > other than your primary master drive then you need to do
    > a little tweaking. Post again if this is the case.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In article <d3357u$340$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, me@spam.com, Mercury says...

    > Hi, I know 8GB isn't much these days, after all the first HDD bought was
    > 5MB, but last I knew XOSL needed less that 8MB?
    >
    > FYI: I ran XOSL for a while and was quite impressed with it.
    >
    > http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

    TechTV had an episode once where a guy installed 37 OS's with
    XOSL......Whew! Lotta time on his hands obviously..... ;0)
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Are you perhaps mixing up 8 MBytes with 8 GBytes? XOSL
    needs 8 MBytes, as you say, which is a drop in the ocean on
    an 8 GByte disk. And if the OP wants three or more OSs
    then he would have at least a 40 GByte disk.

    "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > it "XOSL".
    > >
    > > 3. Install XOSL in this partition. It's free. When you do,
    > > make absolutely sure that it does NOT go somewhere else.
    > > If you let it go elswhere then you lose that partition.
    > >
    > > 4. Add WinXP to the XOSL menu. Test it.
    > >
    > > 5. Create suitable partitions for the other copies of WinXP.
    > > They can be primary or logical partitions. Give them suitable
    > > names.
    > >
    > > 6. Use a cloning tool (e.g. Ghost) to copy WinXP to those
    > > other partitions.
    > >
    > > 7. Add those other OSs to the XOSL menu. Give them
    > > suitable names.
    > >
    > > 8. Test those other OSs.
    > >
    > > That's it, your'e done!
    > >
    > > If any of your OSs are on a logical partition or on a drive
    > > other than your primary master drive then you need to do
    > > a little tweaking. Post again if this is the case.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

[...]

    The point of the whole exercise is to keep the drive letter
    of every OS as C:, not U: as you suggest. You achieve it
    by making the current OS THE FIRST VISIBLE PARTITION.
    Regardless of what some links say, this works extremely
    successfully. I have several systems to prove it.

    And no, XOSL does NOT modify anything on any OS.
    It leaves them exactly as they are. It simply makes the
    selected OS partition visible, then passes control to that
    OS. Simple, effective, and extremely robust. It also
    means that you can boot without XOSL, if you make
    the first visible partition active.

    About running some of your OSs off a disk other than
    your primary master: You may have to tick a box within
    XOSL to "swap disks". It's by trial and error.

Microsoft Windows XP