Looking to Build a System Need Vista Compatibility

flyer128

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I would like to build a system but would like to make sure it will be Vista compatable. Does anyone know where to find component compatibility for this.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Vista isn't out yet, so there won't be a definitive HC list yet. However, things you can be sure to need:

- AT LEAST 2gb RAM if you want to run any 'proper' apps or game
- AT LEAST 1gb RAM just for running it stably
- Dual core is probably a good idea
- A good graphics card. My 9200 didn't cut it at all.
- At least 3ghz/3000+ processor, or equiv. Opteron etc...

But like I said, you're talking about an OS that won't be out until Jan/Feb '07 and isn't near completion yet.

Plus you have to factor in DirectX 10 support, of which there is none so far. You're much better off waiting.

flyer128

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Vista isn't out yet, so there won't be a definitive HC list yet. However, things you can be sure to need:

- AT LEAST 2gb RAM if you want to run any 'proper' apps or game
- AT LEAST 1gb RAM just for running it stably
- Dual core is probably a good idea
- A good graphics card. My 9200 didn't cut it at all.
- At least 3ghz/3000+ processor, or equiv. Opteron etc...

But like I said, you're talking about an OS that won't be out until Jan/Feb '07 and isn't near completion yet.

Plus you have to factor in DirectX 10 support, of which there is none so far. You're much better off waiting.
Thanks for the feedback, maybe I will wait a while longer. Have you downloaded Vista in Beta test.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Yup I've used Vista beta 1 and have used many builds of Longhorn also, and while the performance has improved over time (mainly due to the total ditching of the frankly rubbish WinFX active file system) it's still not really stable enough to use day-to-day, or at least for work. If you're curious and have a spare day I reccommend trying it out for yourself so you can see how your current PC performs and judge what needs improving. Just don't install it on a hard disk you depend on (very important).