PC2-4200 or 6400 for E6600 + what brand/model?

I guess my other post was too long so here’s a shorter version:

I’m gonna build a PC with a C2D E6600 CPU. I am not going to overclock. I want 2 GB dual RAM. What should I get? PC2-4200 or 6400? And what brand/model?

I would really appreciate your input.
7 answers Last reply
More about 4200 6400 e6600 brand model
  1. I would go for the 6400. If you're not overclocking, any brand would do. Just looking at signatures on this forum I can see people using an E6600 with OCZ or Patriot or G.Skill.
  2. Thanks, dsidious.

If I bought PC2-6400, could I just use them without further ado,or should they be adjusted somehow to make them synchronous to the FSB?

(I ask because I read the following on another forum: "If DDR2-800 is run with a non-overclocked 1066FSB CPU, it should be underclocked to DDR2-533 speed.")

I'm hoping that's incorrect? :)
  3. Honestly, you're better off if one of the more experienced people in this forum answers that one. There are all sorts of technical details here, for example the faster memory can be used with better settings (lower latency, etc.)

It's true about the underclocking.

With the DDR2-800 you have a better chance to reuse it if you later decide to upgrade the CPU, say in a year or so. Intel is talking about fsb1600 for Penryn, and that's where the DDR2-800 should do very nicely.
  4. Quote:
    I guess my other post was too long so here’s a shorter version:

I’m gonna build a PC with a C2D E6600 CPU. I am not going to overclock. I want 2 GB dual RAM. What should I get? PC2-4200 or 6400? And what brand/model?

I would really appreciate your input.

As far as the brand of RAM you should consider buying, check your MB's website for the QVL listings. RAM that has been tested and approved for use on your MB will be listed on the QVL( qualified vendors list). You can also search around the forums amd user reviews of the RAM you are considering to see what MB they are using and having success with. PC 4200 runs at 4.2 MB per second transfer rate while PC 6400 kas a transfer rate of 6.4 MB per second. PC4200 could never run at the default of 800 mhz. RAM even if overclocked. HTH.
  5. Quote:

It's true about the underclocking.

I’m sorry to be so obtuse, but are you saying that if I buy PC2-6400 RAM sticks, they will only work if I go into the bios and underclock them to 533 MHz?

Thanks.
  6. Don't know if you HAVE to. I know it's a possible solution, but there are other solutions too. There have been debates about this before. This might help:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=226950&highlight=underclock+ddr2

Try creating a new thread in the CPU section. The Memory section is all dead, nobody seems to answer questions in here these days.
  7. Okay, thanks for you help, Dsidious. (And also Prong.) :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory