Backing up Hollywood VHS to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fa_ranger

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I do not want to do anything Illegal Like my Albums I own them and since the 60's I have made Cassette tapes ( now CD's) of MY OWNED movies on VHS tape movies. I want to convert them to DVD lets face it tapes wear out break and over time fall apart. I Paid for the rights to watch these movies in my home I have no interest in loaning them out or selling anything. Lets Take the Original Stars Wars movies for example I own 2 Different 3 VHS tape box sets and I have one on DVD. Store bought and paid for. I want to back them up on DVD how would I do this.
I want to be able to box up and store the Larger VHS tapes in a cool dry place and play the movie's on DVD which take up less space. Now some movies you can only buy on VHS. I as the consumer want to protect my investment of my video library. Copy rights protect the Industry from Bootleg copies meaning for sale as undercut Illegal competion. Or free distribution over the internet. I have no desire to do either as I have stated before I know I am not alone in this quest. Here is my system so any hardwear I need and softwear is not a problem.

AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4800
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Corsair 3500ll Pro Ram 2 Gigs
4 WD 250 gig Hard drives in Raid0 and Raid 1
One light scribe dvd rw
One sony dvd rw
Evga G-force 7800GTX

pat

Expert
I do not want to do anything Illegal Like my Albums I own them and since the 60's I have made Cassette tapes ( now CD's) of MY OWNED movies on VHS tape movies. I want to convert them to DVD lets face it tapes wear out break and over time fall apart. I Paid for the rights to watch these movies in my home I have no interest in loaning them out or selling anything. Lets Take the Original Stars Wars movies for example I own 2 Different 3 VHS tape box sets and I have one on DVD. Store bought and paid for. I want to back them up on DVD how would I do this.
I want to be able to box up and store the Larger VHS tapes in a cool dry place and play the movie's on DVD which take up less space. Now some movies you can only buy on VHS. I as the consumer want to protect my investment of my video library. Copy rights protect the Industry from Bootleg copies meaning for sale as undercut Illegal competion. Or free distribution over the internet. I have no desire to do either as I have stated before I know I am not alone in this quest. Here is my system so any hardwear I need and softwear is not a problem.

AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4800
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Corsair 3500ll Pro Ram 2 Gigs
4 WD 250 gig Hard drives in Raid0 and Raid 1
One light scribe dvd rw
One sony dvd rw
Evga G-force 7800GTX

I did it with some VHS of demo I got over the time.

You need a capture card. Maybe the macrovision protection will prohibit you to make good copy, but there is some way to disable it. I know that ATI software enable that, but maybe some kind of video card don't. Google is you friend here..

Then, when the VSH is captured, you may use some editing software to make the DVD.

Some are free with capture card. You even have software that allow direct burn to DVD of video sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.