Keeping Track of Use

April 7, 2005 9:25:04 AM

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way Windows XP keeps track of the
amount of time a user logs off and on. The reason I ask is because I'm doing
some work for a charity; they will give me an "in-kind" receipt for the
number of hours I spend on their project...I figured if XP had a way of
tracking for me, it would save me manually keeping a log of my time on/time
off, etc.

Thanks for the help!

More about : keeping track

April 8, 2005 1:17:45 AM

"showme_brand" <showmebrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out if there's a way Windows XP keeps track of the
> amount of time a user logs off and on. The reason I ask is because I'm
> doing
> some work for a charity; they will give me an "in-kind" receipt for the
> number of hours I spend on their project...I figured if XP had a way of
> tracking for me, it would save me manually keeping a log of my time
> on/time
> off, etc.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Go into Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy.
Open up Local Policy, Audit Policy and double-click Audit Logon Events (on
the right) to enable Successful events.
This will log each instance of a user logging on to, logging off from, or
making a network connection to this computer in the Security Event Log.

You can 'dump' the security event log (or any other log for that matter)
through:
Start, run, eventvwr.msc, right-click Security in the left column, Save log
file as and choose the name and location where you want it.
Note, it may be a good idea upon save to use 'Save as type...' Text (tab
delimited) or CSV (Comma delimited).
That will produce a file you can easily import and manipulate in Excel in a
column format for tallying, reporting, whatever.

hth

george
!