Need help - not sure which component is the problem!

jeffrg270

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hi there,

I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm just not sure what is causing the problem.

I recently assembled the following system:
CPU+cooling: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, Thermalright Ultra 120
Mobo: ASUS Striker Extreme
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
RAM: Corsair TWIN2x2048-6400C4 dual channel kit
GPU: XFX Geforce 8800gtx
HD: 2 x WD Raptor 150gb 10,000rpm in RAID 0 config
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty

No problems to report.
Yesterday, made the following changes:
Switched PSU to OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Added second XFX Geforce 8800gtx in SLI config

Since then, I have had this problem, which I've never seen before:

When I go to reboot the system, it shuts down windows, but doesn't reboot. The monitor just goes blank, and it hangs. I have to hit the reset button, and then it goes through the normal boot sequence. Same thing happens when I go into CMOS: I can make changes, but when I exit, it just goes to a blank screen and hangs, until I hit the reset button and the boot happens with the changes I just made.

So basically, I have to reboot twice each time. I'm not sure what was causing this, so I removed the 2nd 8800gtx card, and tried resetting the bios to default settings. Same thing happened - I get a blank screen after exiting CMOS or telling windows to restart, and have to hit reset in order to boot.

Tried flashing my bios with the newest version (ver. 1004). Same result when I try to reboot.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I get the feeling it's something really simple, that I'm just completely overlooking. Or maybe it's a problem that someone else has had and found a solution for.

Either way, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Jeff.

tik

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
My advice is try to assemble as few components as you can. And if you have any old components that you know it still work, make them handy.

First, you will need new mobo, cpu, memory (use only one stick of ram 1st), and old (but working) video card to make your system posts. If everything work fine, you should get it post. You can have PCI video card in PCI slot instead of the new PCI-e.

Then add a hard drive (only one). If you have an old HD (with OS installed), make your system boot, and see what happend. If it unstable, then you know it should be your mobo or cpu. You may need to reinstall OS to the old HD to make sure it's not the OS problem.

Now you can switch to a new hard drive (remove the test one). If something go wrong, it could be either you HD or the OS. Try reinstall the OS too.

By trial error with logical steps, you should be able to identify the bad component(s). Let us know what you're up to. Good luck.

PS. Try not to attach any optical drive when you try to identify the problem, unless you need it to install OS. Sometime bad optical drive that share PATA controller causes the problem. Moreover, wrong jumper setting on both HD and optical drive cause the problem too. You need the CORRECT basic knowledge to do these jumper setting too.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I have the ASUS P5B Deluxe with an e6600 C2D and 700 watt Thermaltake 4 x 12v rail. I experience a similar symptom when I overclock heavily. The system will briefly shut off, then start up normally after restart or power on. Same thing with my Enermax 535 watt PSU. When I do not overclock the system, the symptoms go away.

It sounds like your BIOS is resetting every time you power on. I'm not sure. Instead of just hitting the reset switch, try turning off the power supply for a few seconds. Turn the PSU back on and hit the system power button. Try setting your BIOS to default and see if the symptoms persist. Your overclock could be causing the start up problem,

You might also go to control panel>power options and set the power to 'always on'. HTH.

jeffrg270

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
One other thing that I failed to mention (because I thought it was inconsequential) was that I also bought an OPTI-UPS Uninteruptible Power Supply to connect everything to. I had previously been using a cheap power strip. I wouldn't think that would cause anything like this though.

Tik, I understand what you're saying, but I was hoping to avoid having to completely disassemble. I tried converting back as much as I could to the system that I remember booting fine (removed the 2nd vid card, reset the CMOS defaults, etc). I may end up doing what you're suggesting if I absolutely have to, but at this point, I was hoping for a less labour-intensive solution. Also, if there's a specific cause someone can direct me towards, I'd rather attack that than do blind trial and error.

Prong, I should mention that I tried resetting the bios to no effect. So right now, nothing is overclocked. Also, the PSU I'm using has no power switch. So it's on all the time (as long as it's plugged in). Also, I should have clarified: The bios is actually not getting reset when I boot up. That's what's so strange. I reset, and the computer hangs. So I hit the reset button, after which a normal boot sequence occurs, with absolutely no change to the bios settings.

That's what has me confused. Since it's a reset/bootup issue, I'm almost certain it's bios related. But if that's the case, why does it not boot up, then boot up after hitting "reset" with no change in bios settings?

-Jeff.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Can you try unplugging the PSU from the outlet for maybe 10 seconds. Plug it back in then hit the system's power on switch on the case. By completely cutting the power off to the MB this way, using the Power On switch instead of the reset switch should work. Exactly what 9is causing your system to work this way, I don't know. My system does the same thing when I overclock heavily. On another ASUS board I have, when the system fails due to overclocking it 'hangs'. I have to turn off the PSU and swith it back on to get the system back up and running via the main power on switch.

Orion63

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Sounds to me like the initial surge of powering your system is overloading the PCU or the UPS. Typically, most of the amps occurs on powerup, then lower within a few seconds when things are powered. This is why when you hit reset, everything works.

Try without the UPS to see if things power up ok. IF yes, then try it with the UPS. If things are quirky then, then the UPS of course is at fault. Let the UPS "charge" for a couple days and try it again.

Brambb

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Hey, Ive got the same problem.. I googled for this problem and I found this topic..

My setup is kinda the same as your original setup, same motherboard/ PSU and the SLI config. Yes 750W PSU for that setup :), I though it would be that but it seems to be something else. As few ppl say it can be PSU problem cause it takes the most power when booting up.. But i think that is strange, cause it DOES boot when you boot from a 'cold' start. (and warm when you turn it off and on :)). But it just doesnt reboot proper..

I also updated the BIOS to the latest version and also got the problem when you change BIOS settings and exit it wont reboot, BUT I though it DOES save settings here but im not completly sure, gotta check that out when im back home. I also think that it has something to do with the BIOS.

I was about to test a few things out over the weekend, like Tik suggested, ill keep you updated if I find a solution.

jeffrg270

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks for the message, Brambb.

Yeah I really don't know what is causing it. If it was the power supply, I would expect it would not be able to cold boot, just not when you restart from windows. And it's not the UPS, because when I just plug it into a regular power strip, the same thing happens.

Another thing I found was that if I just hit the reset button, I get the blank screen. I have to hit the reset button again, and it all works normally.

So basically, there are 3 ways I can restart my computer:

1) Complete shut down (which happens no problem from windows). Hit the power button - it works no problem.

2) Click on "restart" through the windows start menu. This leads me to the blank screen. I have to hit the reset button. It boots no problem.

3) Hit the reset button. After the first press, I get the blank screen. I press it again, it boots normally.

So it's either the bios or the hardware. But here's the issue:

I don't think it's the BIOS because it happens regardless of the BIOS settings (even if they're at default settings), and when it does happen, it doesn't reset the BIOS.

I don't think it's the hardware because a) I'm switching to a more powerful power supply. b) if it's a defective power supply, Why does it work with a cold boot, but not with a warm boot or a single press of the reset button?

What kind of setup do you have? I liked my 750W power supply, but SLI 8800gtx's like I have recommends a minimum of 800W. I just thought I'd go for the OCZ 1000W since it's got such great reviews.

But nobody ever mentioned this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff.

Brambb

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Hi,

Got precisely the same three reset/restarts problems as you discribe.

Same setup as yours, different type of memory (4GB tho) minus the soundcard, but instead I got myself a QX6700 CPU :').. And yes with a 750W PSU I know I need a bigger/better/stronger PSU but I dont think thats our cause of the problems, as you have more then enough power to turn that beast on :).

I guess no other thing then the mainboard/BIOS itself is the cause, but I cant find any other issue's like these on internet with a STRIKER. (except this topic..)
I'm gonna try some different BIOS versions/setups and hardware setups (no HDD/CD-ROM/ect) tonight/tomorrow to see if these problems still occur... Else I guess we need to send the STRIKER back to his factory ;'( for such a small issue :f.

/edit
Seems I had something enabled in the main screen of 'Extreme Tweaking' tab, cant remember what, but the computer reacting normal now.. Can reboot like normal!
Only Vista acting strange now.. but that needed a reinstall anyway ;_;! hope you have some help with this...

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
First things first, you are using your latest BIOS?

Does the system hang after the screen goes blank?
Or does it just sit at "Shutting down Windows"?

Also, did the system reboot without problem every time during the OS install?

If you answered yes to questions 2 and 3 it may be a software that refuses to unload.
Test again in safe mode and see if the system acts better.
If it does, go run msconfig from the "run" line, go to startup and start disabling things and rebooting until it goes away.

If the system did not have the same problem while installing, but still does in safe mode, try re-loading windows again, could just be an OS corruption.

If the system had the same problem while installing windows, try re-loading windows again, but hit F5 when installing windows right when that blue screen pops up (and before you hit f6 if you install raid) you can choose to not install ACPI, You want to use "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" The menu will look like there are only two options but the others are there, just hidden.)