some issues with ME and a Compaq Presario 5010US

bilmo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hi All....

this is an ok old PC for a boat anchor. it apparently really is as proprietary as Compaq's and HP's are reputed to be.

I recently downloaded Windows Media Player 9, and it worked for a couple days.

Then, it didn't :)

what a surprise! I get this error message now:

<You've encountered error message 80040154 while using Windows Media Player. We are investigating the cause of this error. We will post more information about this error when it becomes available>

does that look familiar? more about the PC: 128mg of pc100/40GIG HD/ya know, a Compaq motherboard.

I suppose it's possible that WMP9 tilted the dang puter. it's doing other weird stuff too.

anyway, thanks for any feedback. feel free to email as well, if you would like!

Thanks all.

Bill

bilmo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
while I'm asking goofy questions about compaq presarios, why not one more?

would it be a good idea or a disaster to use an XPHomeSP2 upgrade CD on this machine?

I am considering it. But am afraid it might blow up or something :)

thanks for any help with xp upgrades and/or media play 9

thanks all

Bill

sturm

Splendid
Try it and see. If theres not anything on it thats important then try it and see. The worst that can happen is it doesnt run well and then you can just load up ME again.

bilmo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Try it and see. If theres not anything on it thats important then try it and see. The worst that can happen is it doesnt run well and then you can just load up ME again.

actually, the PC came from Comp USA with Millenium loaded on it. It didn't include an entire operating system CD.

it came with a system restore CD. but doesn't that wipe out all the stuff that is saved on the HD?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Have you tried to just reinstall media player 9?

Yes, a restore cd is "usually" just a disk image that wipes your hard drvie clean and installs the OS, programs and settings that originally were on the computer.

I think XP sp2 will work fine as long as you add another 128 MB of ram.