Ti 4200 fr3akin out!!!

DamnedViper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
My MSI 8x 128 Mb Ti 4200 AGP card is (possibly) overheating because of which i am having purple lines on the screen and some times the display hangs as well (means that pc working fine in background but display freezed). I have cleaned and applied thermal paste in large quantities because of which freezing has been stopped but still those purple lines which start appearing since the start of the boot up screen, are there. Also it works better in Safe Mode of WinXp. Sometimes when i switch on the system after a longer time (about 6 hrs) then it starts up fine but after some time ( 10 Mins approx.) the same thing happens. Is there any remedy?? Any help is appreciated . Thank you in advance.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i guess all i can say really, is to try different drivers, such as from guru3d.com... try reducing hardware acceleration in the troubleshooting section of display properties, see if that helps

if neither of those are able to change whats happening, then im definetly inclined to think that the card itself is beginning to fail

G

gpu might have got dammed with heating. try different drivers if thats fix the problem. which i think will not. time for you to get new video card man.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I am very familiar with the Ti 4200 series as I have owned two 4200s and a 4600.

The fan on the 4600 I had died before I got it.

It had been very slightly damaged from overheating and would display purple lines after a few minutes of operation.

I home made an air vent to keep lots of air blowing across the heatsink using a spare fan I had.

After that it was fine, overclocking was out of the question as it would do the same thing as soon as I tried to push 9mhz more out of the core.

My recommendation is to try the driver thing and if that doesn't work try underclocking it a bit.

The Ti series is very well aged and is past due to be retired.

I recommend you replace that card if it is reasonable to or if you can't get it to work.

DamnedViper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Tried different drivers but no improvement. btw i have the same prob even when i run the bios. Does that have to do anythin with the drivers.???

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
No. Your card is dying.

I would clean it one more time, including blowing out the fan. Then follow the instructions on applying thermal paste. More does not equal better when it comes to thermal paste. Just because the fan is spinning, doesn't mean it is working correctly. You could try directing a case fan of some sort directly at it to see if the problem resolves itself.

Most likely it is time to start looking for a new card.