Compaq a8ae-le and smart memory slots?

scottse

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I've tried to reinstall Win XP on my PC and when trying to partition the hard drive, the smart memory slots appear first, thus providing me with a Windows partition letter starting with H. I want to start it with C.

Visiting BIOS (v 3.13) I don't see any mention of the smart memory slots.

There doesn't seem to be a reference to any jumpers on the m/b to disable them to try and "trick" Windows into giving me a C partition.

Other ideas?

Thanks.

Scott

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There are several things. First, if you have an existing OS on the system, Windows wil see that and won't want to overwrite the existing "C: drive" unless you do a repair install. One way to overcome that is to format from the DOS prompt (assuming you have a DOS boot disk available on floppy). You could also unplug the other drives (memory sticks and USB drives) during the install BUT, if there is an existing C drive, that may not help unless you tell the install to overwrite the existing OS.

scottse

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
There are several things. First, if you have an existing OS on the system, Windows wil see that and won't want to overwrite the existing "C: drive" unless you do a repair install. One way to overcome that is to format from the DOS prompt (assuming you have a DOS boot disk available on floppy). You could also unplug the other drives (memory sticks and USB drives) during the install BUT, if there is an existing C drive, that may not help unless you tell the install to overwrite the existing OS.

I only have the factory-installed drive and have used fdisk from a bootable DOS floppy to remove all partitions and ran fdisk /mbr to clear the master boot record. Thus, I am starting from scratch.

The problem is, if I insert my Win XP boot CD, then get to the screen to partition, it will first list all the memory slot devices as drives, so when I select the hard drive itself (which happens to be at the bottom of the list), and it shows as unformatted, and I opt to create a partition (say half the drive, leaving the other half unformatted), the first available drive letter is H.

That would fall in line with 4 "smart memory" slots plus a USB port (each slot being a drive letter, then the USB port also being a drive letter), leading us to H.

There are NO devices plugged into any of those smart memory slots, and there doesn't seem a way to disable them, either.

I found the same is true when trying to install Windows fresh on a machine that has an IDE/ATAPI Zip drive installed. The system will see that drive as drive C, making the hard drive's initial partition E or F, depending on how many IDE CD drives are also installed. If the ZIP drive is physically removed, then Windows will partition it as drive C.

But back to this story - how to disable (a jumper or hidden BIOS screen?) the smart memory slots...

Thanks.

Scott

scottse

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
The answer turned out to be removing my USB keyboard and mouse, which turned out to be powering the smart memory stuff. I replaced them with a PS/2 k/m and got a C partition with no problem.

Scott