Bellsouth Westell 6100 and want to add a 327w for wireless..

cwiseguy

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I have a bellsouth dsl connection and am using a Westell 6100 modem...This modem is not wireless...My question is can I somehow connect a Westell 327w and use its wireless capability?

I supposedly cannot use the 327w in place of the 6100 because Bellsouth says their firmware is different in the 327w that they supply...I bought this 327w from someone who had verizon and the serial number is different in the verizon supplied 327w and the Bellsouth 327w...

Thanks for any and all help...

Cwise

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
To make this work, you will need to set up the 327 to operate as an access point. I'm not sure that is possible, but if you want to give it a try, connect your computer to the LAN port on the 327 to access its management screen. Turn off the firewall and the DHCP server. Enable the wireless with no security (for now). Then, connect the LAN port on the 327 to the LAN port on your 6100. (Your computer is now, of course, disconnected.)

See if you can connect wirelessly to the 327, and then to the internet.

With this setup (if it works) you have no wired network connections left, so all your computers will need to connect wirelessly (or, possibly the USB port on the 6100 will work - you'd have to try it to see).

If this setup works, and you also need a wired LAN, you will need to purchase an ethernet switch to add more LAN ports to your network.

If you can get the wireless to work, now add security. I'd recommend you do this through a wired connection.