32 bit dual channel vs 64 bit single channel

razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
which would be better home a home - lan based server...

I realize when the bus speed and the memory speed are in proportion, it doesn't make much of a difference... but when the memory processor/bus speed start exceeding the memory speed, it creates quite the bottleneck.

I have a P4/HT 2.6 Ghz system thats dual channel.... and I have a S754 2.4 Ghz AMD system.... I figured that the 64 bit wide bus would make for some nice speed, and of course its also a cooler system - the motherboard I have is smaller, and I couild pack this thing away a lot easier than the full ATX intel.

the server is setup using RAID0 SATA, which is why I currently have it runnin on the dual-channel system...

but in everyones opinion... which would offer the better performance, the intel or the AMD system? dual vs single channel memory, 32 vs 64 bit.

makaka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I would go with A64 system it should be faster.
between runing Raid 0 with server is bad idea.it is better to go with raid 1 or even raid 0+1 :wink:

razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
yeah I realize the data loss but it ain't too important, besides the 64 system only has 2 raid ports and I'd rather have the performance gain from 0 than the reliablility from 1 haha

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The A64 system should be faster, even though it doesn't support dual channel. The integrated memory controller of the A64 systems helps to make the PC considerably faster in server type environments.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I think you should keep the Intel system.
The Hyper-Threading enabled P4 can be much faster than a Sempron, regardless with the bus speed.