Sign in with
Your question

Best budget core 2 duo chip to overclock? Is it the e4300?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2007 3:22:34 PM

Is it the e4300?
April 1, 2007 6:58:34 PM

Some would say it really depends on how fast you want to go, but the general consensus and my personal pick is the E4300.

The E6300 has a 7x multiplier and runs at 266 FSB. Upping it to 333 is the only way to achieve better that 2.3 gigahertz.

An E4300 comes with the same 9x multiplier as a E6600, and that means that taking it to 266 will net you a good 2.4 gigahertz. Yes you do not have the E6600s L2 cache, but that is of minimal impact and to get back that performance all you really need to do is put it to 280 perhaps instead of 266.

I run the E4300 at 26 FSB for a 2.4 gigahertz clock speed. All I did was set Vcore to 1.35, its original was 1.325. Some people are even taking this to 266 WITHOUT a Vcore adjustment.

So yes, on a budget the E4300 is the prefered chip. A few things though, do not expect to take this chip to 333 FSB on stock cooling. You will need a good thermal paste, and for more than 266 I really do think you will want a better fan and heatsink, like a Zalman or Tuniq Tower. As for thermal paste I recommend Artic silver, I am not using it but a friend of mine is on an E4300 also set to the same specs as mine, 266 FSB and 1.35 Vcore, but he is running anywhere from 2-5 degrees cooler running TAT full loads compared to me.

BTW, while a 333 on an E6300 will only net a 2.3 gigahertz rating, a 333 on a E4300 will run more like 3 gigahertz!
April 2, 2007 9:06:13 AM

If 3ghz sounds good the e4300 will get you there easier. Heck of a chip really. Scryer your board must have some serious Vdroop if you had to up your Vcore to get to 2.4ghz. I'm running undervolted @ 334x9.
Oh as far as cooling, check my sig :D  . With the inexpensive cooler master ($16 shipped) and ceramique my rig barely hits 65c with TAT @ 100% and chills @ 58-59c with Orthos. With video editing/games I see around 50c.
Related resources
April 2, 2007 1:17:33 PM

I have mine running at 3GHz (333FSB) and it's given me no problems. I do have water cooling, but from what I've seen in the forums I don't know that it's really necessary in my case.

This was my first overclock and was a real breeze.

I have a "dual boot" setup in my rig with two versions of XP. One is stripped-down and used exclusively for gaming. The other is "full boat" and is used for normal web surfing, document creation, etc.

I've also configured the ASUS BIOS to save two separate hardware profiles. One is OC'ed to 3GHz, the other runs pretty much stock. So...when I run my PC in "business mode" (90% of the time), I select the stock configuration and boot from the "full" XP install. When I run in game mode, I select the OC hardware profile in BIOS and then run the "lean" version of XP (which is on 2 WD Raptors in RAID 0).

It works absolutely fabulous for me, and I can honestly say that most of my benchmarks (@ 3GHz) are on par with what one would expect from a stock e6700 or e6800 system. I'm less of an "OC" enthusiast and much more of a game enthusiast--so while I might be able to OC quite a bit more, I'm just going to leave it alone since it already plays my games "like buttah" on my 24" LCD. Sweet!

If I can help you with any further info about my config, etc, just let me know. I'm a realy newb to OCing, but I've definitely been around the block a time or two with building gaming rigs. It's been my hobby for the last ten years.

C2D E4300 @2.99GHz (FSB 333x9)
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
2G Corsair PC6400 RAM @ 667MHz 4-4-4-12 2.1v
DangerDen CPU and HD water cooling
BFG 7800GTXOC @ Stock (PCIe clock bumped to 110MHz)
24" Samsung SyncMaster 244T LCD Display
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Logitech X-5300THX Surround Speakers
2x 74G WD Raptor 10,000 HDs in RAID 0
Maxtor 300G SATA HD
Plextor PX-760A DVD-RW
Enermax Galaxy 850 PSU
Saitek X-52 HOTAS
CH Products Pro Pedals
Nostromo N50 Speedpad
Logitech G5 Mouse
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
April 9, 2007 3:02:41 AM

Silly slightly off topic question...roughneck, why do you OC your PCIe buss? 110mhz dont do squat. Theres basically no difference in performance even if your only running an 8x channel so a 10% OC even higher than 16x is a waste of wear and tear on your gear...

my .02

Hide
April 9, 2007 3:10:13 AM

Quote:
Silly slightly off topic question...roughneck, why do you OC your PCIe buss? 110mhz dont do squat. Theres basically no difference in performance even if your only running an 8x channel so a 10% OC even higher than 16x is a waste of wear and tear on your gear...

my .02

Hide

Sometimes when you're OC'ing, you can get system intability that seems like its from OC'ing the CPU when in reality it is graphics related. That minimal increase on the PCIe can make a world of difference.
April 10, 2007 4:54:17 AM

Hmmm... I never thought about it. I think I only OC'ed it because someone said that they did it too! I'm a bit of a noob and I guess I'm prone to a little "keeping up with the Joneses" now and then...

I appreciate your pointing out the info about performance. Sounds like it's time for me to drop that sucker down a bit. No sense in overstressing parts unnecessarily!
April 10, 2007 4:55:27 AM

But then again... this it seems like it might be some good advice. I'll have to do some benching and figure out what works. But I think I'm going to try to crank it down if I can.
April 10, 2007 5:16:33 PM

@Roughneck

A piece of advice, lower your multi to 8, and raise the FSB to 375, this will push your ram to 750Mhz, still keeping it 1:1, and will give you a better overall performance. CPU will remain at 3Ghz.
April 10, 2007 6:01:46 PM

Quote:
Is it the e4300?

I think so.
April 10, 2007 7:14:09 PM

"Cooler Master C15-9HDSC-PL-GP"?

wtf is that? I can't find it anywhere. Is there perhaps an updated version with a different model number?
April 16, 2007 7:40:41 AM

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Langua...

Its the 5th one from the top.

PL refers to rifle bearing model. I'm not sure about the GP as it appears on the retail box but not the website

Wait...here it is on their US website
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1259

Ewiz has it for $9.50 cant say their shipping rates are very impressive though).
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-9HDSCP&c=fr&pid=4e...
A little searching should give you a low price plus good shipping rates :) 
April 16, 2007 8:36:52 AM

Woah dude, i have my e4300 at 3.6Ghz and i am only running 1.35vcore, you must have some horrid Vdroop. Also, you can take the e4300 easily to 3Ghz, if you are one of the lucky people who gets one without a soldered IHS (like me, quite unexpected, but yet still happy now), i found out by accident really...
April 16, 2007 8:56:59 AM

:?: 3ghz undervolted is awesome in my book. I'm not complaining. I'm sure I and others would be interested to hear how you had to mod in order to get 3.6ghz at 1.35 Vcore. That seems a little far fetched on a stock setup.
lol nevermind I read your sig. Still.... you aren't quite this side of believable. Give us some stability screenshots and your motherboard settings and we'll bite.
April 16, 2007 2:56:17 PM

Quote:
:?: 3ghz undervolted is awesome in my book. I'm not complaining. I'm sure I and others would be interested to hear how you had to mod in order to get 3.6ghz at 1.35 Vcore. That seems a little far fetched on a stock setup.
lol nevermind I read your sig. Still.... you aren't quite this side of believable. Give us some stability screenshots and your motherboard settings and we'll bite.

That 3.6ghz is nothing that impressive really, it's only a 400FSB which most decent motherboards are more than capable of delivering. I myself have my E4300 at 3.6ghz, although i'm using the Tuniq Tower 120 cooler and have it at 1.4 Vcore.
April 16, 2007 5:45:19 PM

tyvm Pax. Certainly an elegant low-profile design. Would be perfect for the direct intake mod I want to do on my X-Qpack case.

I bought a similar TT HSF at Frye's on saturday but the stupid fan on it is shroudless (they didn't have much of a selection for low-profile LGA775) with my e4300 ("OEM" $119 bundled with mobo... CPU appears to be used though... I'll see how it clocks but I might just return it, also seems I can return just the mobo for $31 for a $90 e4300 after taxes! ).
April 16, 2007 7:39:00 PM

I dont doubt 3.6ghz can be done. I am skeptical about the stability of such a setup though with only 1.35 vcore. I've played around with my setup and can OC and boot into windows up to 3.4ghz undervolted but not and remain stable with TAT at 100% nevermind Orthos. Thats why I asked about stability screenshots. Mind you Ive not got the latest and greatest of heatsinks either. So I'm quite content with 3ghz. Heck, if you look back at my pre E4300 release posts you'll see 3ghz with long term stability and system viability was my goal all along. This chip rocks :D 
April 16, 2007 8:10:02 PM

Quote:
I dont doubt 3.6ghz can be done. I am skeptical about the stability of such a setup though with only 1.35 vcore. I've played around with my setup and can OC and boot into windows up to 3.4ghz undervolted but not and remain stable with TAT at 100% nevermind Orthos. Thats why I asked about stability screenshots. Mind you Ive not got the latest and greatest of heatsinks either. So I'm quite content with 3ghz. Heck, if you look back at my pre E4300 release posts you'll see 3ghz with long term stability and system viability was my goal all along. This chip rocks :D 

Totally agreed - the chip does "RAWK!". Rocks almost as hard as Extreme, what a band they are/were.

Then again even the stock E4300 seemed to be almost as good as my old 4ghz D930 system, now it excrements all over it!

EDIT! I see you also have the DS3, what a stonking price/performance board that is.
April 17, 2007 5:55:21 AM

lol. Hey my rev 3.3 has treated me well (f10 bios) no reboot/cold boot issues whatsoever :p  And if I wanted to adjust the voltages beyond stock on both the board and CPU I could go alot further. But I like free speed (can't beat that) while being nice to my components. I still wake up some nights missing my old 1.4ghz T-bird :wink: Then I edit some video and I don't miss my old slowpoke so much......
March 30, 2013 12:34:57 PM

I am also having E4300 chip but couldn't get it above 3 Ghz. am i missing some steps in OC
My specs
MOBO- GIGABYTE G41 combo
RAM- Corsair vengeance 4GB DDR3
CPU cooler- CM TXT3 EVO

so can i get it to 3.2 or 3.4 or 3.6?
!