Will penryn require a new socket?

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
As the tittle says..

Having the IMC would it require a new socket? new motherboard?? or will it be a seamless upgrade?

Thx

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
As the tittle says..

Having the IMC would it require a new socket? new motherboard?? or will it be a seamless upgrade?

Thx

The Penryn 45nm refresh will not require a new socket nor a new motherboard.
But for Nehalem CPUs in late 2008, two new sockets will be introduced. :wink:

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
As the tittle says..

Thx
penryn may or may not need a new motherboard. since motherboards nowadays may not be able to support FSB 1600Mhz at stock (without overclocking that is), so a new motherboard may be needed.

as for nehalem, which includes an IMC, it may or may not require a new socket, but a new motherboard and chipset is needed for sure.

i think AMD is better in terms of seamless upgrades.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
i think AMD is better in terms of seamless upgrades.

754, 939, 940, AM2, AM2+, AM3, Socket F!

Exscaaabuse meeeeee? AMD has more sockets than Hector has brain cells!

let's see, almost eveyr revision of the intel cpus needed a new mobo, so what?

thats like intel = 40 diferent mobos, AMD = 6
AM3 isnt even out pfff
and socket F /940 are for servers, so that doesntcount :p

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

AM3 isnt even out pfff

Socket F is for QFX and that may not be a server or an enthusiast platform because nobody has ever bought one!!! :p

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

AM3 isnt even out pfff

Socket F is for QFX and that may not be a server or an enthusiast platform because nobody has ever bought one!!! :p
The funniest thing ever is on Newegg:

Pros: It is Pretty Fast at buisness programs and encoding.

Cons: My brothers AMD 4x4 Smokes My q6600. He wins in Almost every workstation app. Running PSP pro I can not keep up with him as the 4x4 is much more responsive, Exspecially when Multiple Apps are running. I believe its something to do with the memory bandwidth. On Gaming I hold My own but serving He Smokes Me. Also Be Warned this Thing Runs hotter Than the afterburner on an f-15 eagle.

Other Thoughts: I bought this for bragging rights over My Brothers AMD 4x4. What a Disapointment. Does anyone wanna trade My qaud core settup for there 4x4 setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
:p so is that socket f for FUD?!?

Yup. AMD pays me royalties for my FUD copyright every time they sell one. That's why I haven't seen a check yet!!! :lol:

That's not true though, many companies are tossing the 4/8 socket 940 mobos in favor for the newer socket f. It just happened that they put qfx with socket f, it was originally designed for socket am2, and everyone was wondering if they could just drop in two say 3600s instead of paying $1000 for a pair of fx-74s, so to simplify things, amd just took a server platform and enthusized it or whatever it's called (remember qfx uses windsor cpus, which were designed for am2).

Anyways, I'd also have to agree with talmero that almost every new intel cpu has a new mobo requirement, so while they don't change sockets, you can't pop in a c2d on an ancient p4 built like you could pop in a dual core into any ol' 939 board after a bios flash. It balances out in the end, many people forget about the mobo requirements for intel cpus, then try to put in a c2d on their ancient dell only to find out it won't work

Yeah, but I don't think that it's a motherboard compatibility issue with the sockets only. The Penryns are supposed to go to 1.6 G on the FSB, and I don't think that too many "ancient Dells" support that kind of bus!!! :D

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
My bfg 680i has clocked 400 (1600qdr) So I guess its alright.

But yes, one thing i have hated with intel its the mobo requirements.

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Its really true... If AMD keeps it that way they will have a good part of the customer base.

Its really stupid what they are doing really, and in some ways I really hope that AMD comes with something quite big. If I require a new mobo I will definitely go AMD this time.

When I bought the Pentium D 805 in the beginning AMD was more expensive to build comparable power and overclockability. I had a P5nd2-sli and I had to change it because it wouldn't boot with the C2D.

So, Intel. Customer loyalty is one important thing.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I don't know when it comes out, but that's supposed to be the next 975x as intel's top feature packed chipset (kinda funny how everyone basically says screw you to intel and gets either their p965 or an nvidia mobo instead though)
Well the 975x is an older part and supports 8x + 8x crossfire but AMD/ATI still haven't coughed up the R600 so high-end dual graphics users are going to go nVidia. Compared to the 975x the 965 is newer, cheaper, OCs better, and is paired with arguably the best southbridge available, the ICH8/ICH8R. I imagine there may be more interest in the 975x if/when R600 arrives - assuming its successor, the Bearlake X38, hasn't come yet, which might happen at the rate AMD/ATI are moving.

Supposedly the midrange Bearlake (P35 and G35) comes out May/June timeframe and the X38 is sometime in Q3. They demo'd a P35 board at CEBIT.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I agree that 965 is clearly superior to 975, I was just saying that xfire was the only reason to even think about 975 over 965. With the new ATI cards some people may pick up a 975 for xfire as the board with the AMD/ATI xfire express NB gets mixed reviews.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
anythings a possibility (except lordpoop getting a date 8O :lol: )

Don't be so mean. He can so get dates. When I was having my drunken one night stand with Baron he blurted out Lordpope's name while in flagrante delicto. :lol:

Now, given the impossibility of devising a motherboard in 2003 that can accomodate a 1.6 G FSB, I'm not overly concerned about tossing the old board onto Ebay and getting a new one in order to take advantage of the new capabilities. Most of 'em are certainly cheap enough, especially for me since I don't OC.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Well, you shouldn't be mean. But I can be! :lol:

With the current ridiculously low prices for both CPUs and motherboards, I think much of the discussion about using outdated mismatching circuitry is pointless. Although you'd never know it by hanging around THG, but OCing is completely unknown to the vast majority of the computer-using public. Show me an IT Manager who OCs his company's equipment and I'll show you an IT Manager who is gonna be flipping burgers next week. Perfectly adequate, modern motherboards that will beautifully run any given CPU on the market are available well south of a C note. That's not gonna break anyone who is upgrading a system.

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Well, you shouldn't be mean. But I can be! :lol:

With the current ridiculously low prices for both CPUs and motherboards, I think much of the discussion about using outdated mismatching circuitry is pointless. Although you'd never know it by hanging around THG, but OCing is completely unknown to the vast majority of the computer-using public. Show me an IT Manager who OCs his company's equipment and I'll show you an IT Manager who is gonna be flipping burgers next week. Perfectly adequate, modern motherboards that will beautifully run any given CPU on the market are available well south of a C note. That's not gonna break anyone who is upgrading a system.

Show me about those ridiculously low prices? and don't come now with the next price drop on april. Its not pointless to make something available that extends the life out of your machine. Penryn can be made to use existing boards and FSB and not have ANY negative impact on the performance.

We are mainly a performance site and enthusiast. Most IT Managers are not obsessing about every single new processor that is coming out. And if you find one that is constantly upgrading to the latest and foremost technology w/o needing it, then HE or YOU will be the one flipping burgers in FUDROCKERS

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Show me about those ridiculously low prices? and don't come now with the next price drop on april. Its not pointless to make something available that extends the life out of your machine. Penryn can be made to use existing boards and FSB and not have ANY negative impact on the performance.

We are mainly a performance site and enthusiast. Most IT Managers are not obsessing about every single new processor that is coming out. And if you find one that is constantly upgrading to the latest and foremost technology w/o needing it, then HE or YOU will be the one flipping burgers in FUDROCKERS

It's pretty well agreed that Vista requires 2GB to not be a slug. Therefore, do you think it is "normal" that you can configure a brand new system with a very capable dual core sitting on a reasonably competent motherboard where the RAM costs more than the CPU and motherboard put together? Today's CPUs are being sold at firesale subcost pricing due to the disastrous price wars that are taking chunks out of the market value of the entire duopoly. It may be good for the consumer in the short run but the long term effects are completely unpredictable and could turn out to be short term gain for long term pain.

As for IT managers, I was clearly referring to OCing. I strongly doubt that any corporate IT guys are OCing the data entry clerk's PCs. If you want to debate that fact, go for it.

And BTW, Fudruckers is my favorite Fast Fud Restaurant. 8)

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007

It's pretty well agreed that Vista requires 2GB to not be a slug. Therefore, do you think it is "normal" that you can configure a brand new system with a very capable dual core sitting on a reasonably competent motherboard where the RAM costs more than the CPU and motherboard put together? Today's CPUs are being sold at firesale subcost pricing due to the disastrous price wars that are taking chunks out of the market value of the entire duopoly. It may be good for the consumer in the short run but the long term effects are completely unpredictable and could turn out to be short term gain for long term pain.

As for IT managers, I was clearly referring to OCing. I strongly doubt that any corporate IT guys are OCing the data entry clerk's PCs. If you want to debate that fact, go for it.

And BTW, Fudruckers is my favorite Fast Fud Restaurant. 8)

I saw your avatar, hence why i said it.

Anyways... IT managers never care for data entry people... If their computers are slow, let them deal with it. Besides with the applications that a data entry runs, there is no need for overclocking, just a fast ethernet connection and a fast server to process the data.

Overclocking is exactly like modifying a car. You wouldn't modify your every day company car. Period.

The point I am trying to get accross is: Look at all the signatures in this forums and look at all the reviews on every single magazine. most of them deal with overclocking. Most of the ones that shell the most amount of money are the enthusiasts and spanking on the enthusiasts really hurts business also. What if everyone started to write. I prefer AMD because it has the longest run of upgrades you can get. ALl of them... Wouldn't that hurt intel? AMD making the chips overclockable enough and providing future upgrades as they have had.

Have you seen lately that intel is advertising in Formula 1 and other places? Advertisement is the most important aspect to a business in most cases. One angry customer represents 25 potential NON buyers.

Vista is a pig. Less than 2gb and you are totally crawling, but its a good OS and it makes well use of every single mhz you put into it. But I think there has been some issues with drivers and maybe its because they have failed to release all technical documents needed for the development of such. Such is the case for intel and its motherboard requirements for processor upgrades.

If they release a roadmap of the sockets and future possible technical specs or specifications needed and standards I guess its possible to have a longer run of hardware. There is always the need for new cheap motherboards. Why not give something back to the enthusiast (the one that overclocks to hell) that is the one plaguing this forum and recommending INTEL and making intel what it is today?

Why do you think that they are upping the bandwidth?? /because it is bottlenecked. Please.... It hasn't been bottlenecked since it was 533MHz. We just need faster memory with better execution time to make the most out of the bandwidth (DDR3 for RAM). They are doing it to stop the amount of overcloking being done to a chip and now they have finally released an unlocked multiplier in the X series. Aren't they forcing you to shell out the money for the same level of overclock?

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Its really true... If AMD keeps it that way they will have a good part of the customer base.

Its really stupid what they are doing really, and in some ways I really hope that AMD comes with something quite big. If I require a new mobo I will definitely go AMD this time.

When I bought the Pentium D 805 in the beginning AMD was more expensive to build comparable power and overclockability. I had a P5nd2-sli and I had to change it because it wouldn't boot with the C2D.

So, Intel. Customer loyalty is one important thing.

OK.... we get it. You don't want to buy a new motherboard. Honestly, how many times do you need to post the same thing? You have a total of 16 posts, and almost every single one is belly-aching about how Intel is screwing it's customers.