California 911 tieup on Christmas day

Last response: in Network Providers
December 29, 2004 2:00:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

911 numbers get tied up with non emergency calls every Christmas.

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/200...
D1.DTL>

Thats because more new cell phones are unwrapped that day than any
other, but the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
phones. So folks call 911 to verify their shiny new Nokia is working.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:00:56 PM

Jack Zwick wrote:

> 911 numbers get tied up with non emergency calls every Christmas.
>
> <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/200...
> D1.DTL>
>
> Thats because more new cell phones are unwrapped that day than any
> other, but the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
> phones. So folks call 911 to verify their shiny new Nokia is working.

And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...

Notan
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:00:57 PM

> Jack Zwick wrote:
> >
> > 911 numbers get tied up with non emergency calls every Christmas.

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/200...
> > D1.DTL>
> >
> > Thats because more new cell phones are unwrapped that day than any
> > other, but the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
> > phones. So folks call 911 to verify their shiny new Nokia is working.
>
> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>
> Notan

Why don't they just call their home phone?
December 29, 2004 2:00:58 PM

ceg wrote:

>>>911 numbers get tied up with non emergency calls every Christmas.

> Why don't they just call their home phone?

Because it's much more fun to take emergency dispatchers away from handling DUI
calls... duh :-P

December 29, 2004 8:17:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <10t5lhcb7tmo378@corp.supernews.com> "ceg" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>> > Thats because more new cell phones are unwrapped that day than any
>> > other, but the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>> > phones. So folks call 911 to verify their shiny new Nokia is working.
>>
>> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>>
>> Notan
>
>Why don't they just call their home phone?

What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
is activated it can't call a home phone.

The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
phone "works"

--
Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.
Anonymous

DevilsPGD wrote:

> What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
> phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
> is activated it can't call a home phone.
>
> The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
> would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
> phone "works"

No, the bigger question is "why can't the dipwads wait until the day after
Christmas to activate and test their cell phones" :)

I think a lot of people probably don't realize *611 is the standard Customer
Service number, and some carriers don't use *611. Sprint, for example, uses *2.

December 29, 2004 10:00:08 PM

"DevilsPGD" <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote in message

> >> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
> >>
> >> Notan
> >
> >Why don't they just call their home phone?
> >

> What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
> phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
> is activated it can't call a home phone.
>
> The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
> would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
> phone "works"

Is 911 fully on?
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:01:24 PM

> DevilsPGD wrote:
>
> > What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
> > phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
> > is activated it can't call a home phone.
> >
> > The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
> > would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
> > phone "works"
>
> No, the bigger question is "why can't the dipwads wait until the day after
> Christmas to activate and test their cell phones" :)
>
> I think a lot of people probably don't realize *611 is the standard
Customer
> Service number, and some carriers don't use *611. Sprint, for example,
uses *2.

Sounds like the kind of people who make "test" posts to any newsgroup except
the "test" ng's.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:45:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <cqviat$u9o$1@ratbert.glorb.com> Steve Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>DevilsPGD wrote:
>
>> What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>> phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
>> is activated it can't call a home phone.
>>
>> The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
>> would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
>> phone "works"
>
>No, the bigger question is "why can't the dipwads wait until the day after
>Christmas to activate and test their cell phones" :)

I can think of a few possibilities:

1) The gift giver isn't paying the bill. The gift giver obviously
cannot commit the recipient to paying bills or to a rate plan or
whatever.

2) The gift giver is paying the bill (or is going the pay and talk
route), but doesn't want to pay for the time between purchasing the
phone and Christmas day.

3) Phones often aren't returnable after being activated, so I could see
it being worthwhile to wait to see if the recipient wants it.

>I think a lot of people probably don't realize *611 is the standard Customer
>Service number, and some carriers don't use *611. Sprint, for example, uses *2.

While true, the documentation probably has the right number to call.

--
There was a survey just recently that revealed the following results;

40% of women said they thought their ass was too big.
40% of women said they thought their ass was too little.
20% of women said they didn't care what their ass looked like, they were
going to stay married to him anyway.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 12:53:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

>The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of ...
The yet bigger question is why anyone would expect 100% of people to
think before acting, in the face of massive evidence to the contrary.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:07:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <ulh6t0huhgqccj7udhq9ar1q2jjph8carj@news.octanews.com>,
DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> >> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
> >>
> >> Notan
> >
> >Why don't they just call their home phone?
> >

> What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
> phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
> is activated it can't call a home phone.
>
> The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
> would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
> phone "works"

611 is unique to Cingular. There ARE other carriers.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:07:29 AM

> 611 is unique to Cingular. There ARE other carriers.

It is not unique- other carriers use 611 for Customer Care.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:07:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <jzwick3-3EDC53.21060329122004@news1.west.earthlink.net> Jack
Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>> phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
>> is activated it can't call a home phone.
>>
>> The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
>> would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
>> phone "works"
>
>611 is unique to Cingular. There ARE other carriers.

Having never used Cingular in my life, I would disagree. 611 is the
NANP defined number to contact the telco for repair issues.

--
I know what "Cheese" is, and I know what "Whiz" is...
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In <ulh6t0huhgqccj7udhq9ar1q2jjph8carj@news.octanews.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004
17:17:29 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>>> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>>>
>>> Notan
>>
>>Why don't they just call their home phone?
>>

>What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
>is activated it can't call a home phone.

<quibble> With GSM, what's activated is the SIM, not the phone. </quibble>

>The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
>would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
>phone "works"

The bigger question is why the phone wasn't activated and tested in advance.

December 31, 2004 8:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In <cqviat$u9o$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:36:43 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>DevilsPGD wrote:
>
>> What part of "the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>> phones" makes you think the phone would be activated? Until the phone
>> is activated it can't call a home phone.
>>
>> The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
>> would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
>> phone "works"
>
>No, the bigger question is "why can't the dipwads wait until the day after
>Christmas to activate and test their cell phones" :)
>
>I think a lot of people probably don't realize *611 is the standard Customer
>Service number, and some carriers don't use *611. Sprint, for example, uses *2.

Actually just 611, which works with every carrier I've ever used.

December 31, 2004 8:12:06 PM

John Navas wrote:

>>I think a lot of people probably don't realize *611 is the standard Customer
>>Service number, and some carriers don't use *611. Sprint, for example, uses *2.
>
> Actually just 611, which works with every carrier I've ever used.

I'll have to try 611 on Sprint. Verizon, Alltel and Northcoast PCS (the other
carriers I've used) tell you to dial *611, FWIW.

December 31, 2004 8:12:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>
>>>I think a lot of people probably don't realize *611 is the standard Customer
>>>Service number, and some carriers don't use *611. Sprint, for example, uses *2.
>>
>> Actually just 611, which works with every carrier I've ever used.
>
>I'll have to try 611 on Sprint. Verizon, Alltel and Northcoast PCS (the other
>carriers I've used) tell you to dial *611, FWIW.

Could be, but 611 works on Verizon Wireless. I don't know why they
would say to use *611.

--

<> "There are some upon this earth of yours," returned the Spirit,
<> "who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion,

Jack Hamilton wrote:

> Could be, but 611 works on Verizon Wireless. I don't know why they
> would say to use *611.

That's what I recall, but it's been a while since I called VZW CS.

December 31, 2004 8:15:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <IKfBd.15745$_3.181332@typhoon.sonic.net> John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
>>would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
>>phone "works"
>
>The bigger question is why the phone wasn't activated and tested in advance.

The gift giver might have only been giving a phone, not paying for the
monthly service. Personally I think it's a really shitty idea to give a
gift that requires the recipient to pay money to use it, but it happens.

--
If stupidity persists, consult your psychiatrist.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <kipbt0tv87ohpr1cgefqjlbkg8bbrjdpgb@news.octanews.com>,
DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <IKfBd.15745$_3.181332@typhoon.sonic.net> John Navas
> <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> >>The bigger question is why an idiot would dial 911 instead of 611 (which
> >>would let them talk to a carrier's automated interface) to confirm the
> >>phone "works"
> >
> >The bigger question is why the phone wasn't activated and tested in advance.
>
> The gift giver might have only been giving a phone, not paying for the
> monthly service. Personally I think it's a really shitty idea to give a
> gift that requires the recipient to pay money to use it, but it happens.

A Razor V3 is hardly a sh_tty gift.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 4:11:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <jzwick3-D56EDA.19110031122004@news1.west.earthlink.net> Jack
Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> The gift giver might have only been giving a phone, not paying for the
>> monthly service. Personally I think it's a really shitty idea to give a
>> gift that requires the recipient to pay money to use it, but it happens.
>
>A Razor V3 is hardly a sh_tty gift.

While true, it's still the principle of giving a gift which requires
investment to work.

--
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man. That dang ol'
Internet, man. You just go on there and point

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <jzwick3-D56EDA.19110031122004@news1.west.earthlink.net> Jack
> Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

>>>The gift giver might have only been giving a phone, not paying for the
>>>monthly service. Personally I think it's a really shitty idea to give a
>>>gift that requires the recipient to pay money to use it, but it happens.
>>
>>A Razor V3 is hardly a sh_tty gift.
>

> While true, it's still the principle of giving a gift which requires
> investment to work.

I don't know....it depends. A college student would probably be
greatful to receive a car as a gift, but it requires insurance and
gasoline (or another fuel) which can be comparable to monthly service
fees and additional uses (such as SMS or data).

TH
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 4:46:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <pkubt0htrt9toia0d731lslv1kf7k45jg9@news.octanews.com>,
DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <jzwick3-D56EDA.19110031122004@news1.west.earthlink.net> Jack
> Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >> The gift giver might have only been giving a phone, not paying for the
> >> monthly service. Personally I think it's a really shitty idea to give a
> >> gift that requires the recipient to pay money to use it, but it happens.
> >
> >A Razor V3 is hardly a sh_tty gift.
>
> While true, it's still the principle of giving a gift which requires
> investment to work.

Or maybe the gift giver is going to pay for service, but why activate in
advance and pay for service not used until Christmas?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:39:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In <jzwick3-82B2FF.19444531122004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Sat, 01 Jan
2005 01:46:12 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <pkubt0htrt9toia0d731lslv1kf7k45jg9@news.octanews.com>,
> DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>> >A Razor V3 is hardly a sh_tty gift.
>>
>> While true, it's still the principle of giving a gift which requires
>> investment to work.
>
>Or maybe the gift giver is going to pay for service, but why activate in
>advance and pay for service not used until Christmas?

Because it's not a big deal in the great scheme of things, and much nicer to
have it actually working.

January 1, 2005 11:56:44 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:07:07 -0600, "ceg" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> > 911 numbers get tied up with non emergency calls every Christmas.
>> >
>> > Thats because more new cell phones are unwrapped that day than any
>> > other, but the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>> > phones. So folks call 911 to verify their shiny new Nokia is working.
>>
>> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>
>Why don't they just call their home phone?

Things that make ya go "DUH!" :)

Nowadays, police departments are beginning to charge people with alarm
systems a fine whenever they respond to a false alarm. How long will
it be before they start charging people for non-emergency calls to
911?

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for resale on eBay).
(See http://tinyurl.com/6efhd)

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>>
>>Why don't they just call their home phone?
>

> Things that make ya go "DUH!" :)
>
> Nowadays, police departments are beginning to charge people with alarm
> systems a fine whenever they respond to a false alarm. How long will
> it be before they start charging people for non-emergency calls to
> 911?

They already are in Texas. Recently, a friend tells of two incidents
where 911 received calls from the same business with an internal PBX
phone system. Both times it was a hangup, the PD showed up, searched
the building for bodies, and finding all okay, filed their field
incident reports. Later, the company got a $500 bill for each
occurrence. According to informal comments from one officer at the
time, this was not the only company where this had happened.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"Scott en Aztlán" <slothkills@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message

> >> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
> >
> >Why don't they just call their home phone?
>
> Things that make ya go "DUH!" :)
>
> Nowadays, police departments are beginning to charge people with alarm
> systems a fine whenever they respond to a false alarm. How long will
> it be before they start charging people for non-emergency calls to
> 911?

We've been paying 911 fees in our house phone bills for as long as I can
remember.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:54:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In <10t5lhcb7tmo378@corp.supernews.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:07:07 -0600,
"ceg" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> Jack Zwick wrote:
>> >
>> > 911 numbers get tied up with non emergency calls every Christmas.
>> >

><http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/200...
>> > D1.DTL>
>> >
>> > Thats because more new cell phones are unwrapped that day than any
>> > other, but the carriers are closed and aren't available to activate
>> > phones. So folks call 911 to verify their shiny new Nokia is working.
>>
>> And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>>
>> Notan
>
>Why don't they just call their home phone?

Because the phone isn't activated. An unactivated phone can only call 911
(and possibly 611).

January 2, 2005 12:54:16 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <10t5lhcb7tmo378@corp.supernews.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:07:07 -0600,
> "ceg" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>><http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/200...

>>>And the world just keeps getting dumber and dumber...
>>>
>>>Notan
>>
>>Why don't they just call their home phone?
>

> Because the phone isn't activated. An unactivated phone can only call 911
> (and possibly 611).

Well, since a cell phone is supposed to connect to 911 almost regardless
of anything, I'd have to think using 911 for a test call is practically
pointless. If testing a cell phone is the intent, ringing a "real"
number would be a minimal consideration for any results to be meaningful.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In <10tfqs4s9nc7j06@corp.supernews.com> on Sun, 2 Jan 2005 06:39:29 -0600,
"FossilButt" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Scott en Aztlán" <slothkills@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message

>> Nowadays, police departments are beginning to charge people with alarm
>> systems a fine whenever they respond to a false alarm. How long will
>> it be before they start charging people for non-emergency calls to
>> 911?
>
>We've been paying 911 fees in our house phone bills for as long as I can
>remember.

That's not the same thing.

January 2, 2005 7:32:12 PM

> In <10tfqs4s9nc7j06@corp.supernews.com> on Sun, 2 Jan 2005 06:39:29 -0600,
> "FossilButt" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >"Scott en Aztlán" <slothkills@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
> >> Nowadays, police departments are beginning to charge people with alarm
> >> systems a fine whenever they respond to a false alarm. How long will
> >> it be before they start charging people for non-emergency calls to
> >> 911?
> >
> >We've been paying 911 fees in our house phone bills for as long as I can
> >remember.
>
> That's not the same thing.

No, not the exact same thing...just another way people are paying for 911
use. Many places have charged for false alarms for alot of years now.
Georgia has been doing it for years and years.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:30:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <cr8pjd$tek@library1.airnews.net> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

>> Because the phone isn't activated. An unactivated phone can only call 911
>> (and possibly 611).
>>

>Well, since a cell phone is supposed to connect to 911 almost regardless
>of anything, I'd have to think using 911 for a test call is practically
>pointless. If testing a cell phone is the intent, ringing a "real"
>number would be a minimal consideration for any results to be meaningful.

What part of "the phone isn't activated" are you having trouble
comprehending?

--
Can I get a w00t w00t?
January 2, 2005 10:51:46 PM

DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <cr8pjd$tek@library1.airnews.net> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>

>>>Because the phone isn't activated. An unactivated phone can only call 911
>>>(and possibly 611).
>>>

>>Well, since a cell phone is supposed to connect to 911 almost regardless
>>of anything, I'd have to think using 911 for a test call is practically
>>pointless. If testing a cell phone is the intent, ringing a "real"
>>number would be a minimal consideration for any results to be meaningful.
>

> What part of "the phone isn't activated" are you having trouble
> comprehending?

Well, none that I recall. Maybe it was some other poster else with the
issue.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <cr8pjd$tek@library1.airnews.net> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
>wrote:
>
>>> Because the phone isn't activated. An unactivated phone can only call 911
>>> (and possibly 611).
>>>

>>Well, since a cell phone is supposed to connect to 911 almost regardless
>>of anything, I'd have to think using 911 for a test call is practically
>>pointless. If testing a cell phone is the intent, ringing a "real"
>>number would be a minimal consideration for any results to be meaningful.
>
>What part of "the phone isn't activated" are you having trouble
>comprehending?

The point he was trying to make is that calling 911 doesn't tell you
whether a phone has been activated. Even if 911 answers.

--

<> "There are some upon this earth of yours," returned the Spirit,
<> "who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion,
<> pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our
<> name, who are as strange to us and all our kith and kin,
<> as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their
<> doings on themselves, not us."
<>
<> The Ghost of Christmas Present
January 3, 2005 7:01:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular, alt.cellular (More info?)

The phone is not activated in advance because many of us (me included)
buy phones for our teenagers and don't want to pay for time we are not
using between the purchase and Christmas day.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:21:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <v4nht0dd0hp633d511ccjsnn7dta1mv98s@4ax.com>,
Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

> The point he was trying to make is that calling 911 doesn't tell you
> whether a phone has been activated. Even if 911 answers.

The point is folks CAN'T get it activated on Xmas, so ** some ** call
911 to see if the hardware is working, and what the voice quality might
be, etc.
January 3, 2005 12:30:22 PM

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <v4nht0dd0hp633d511ccjsnn7dta1mv98s@4ax.com>,
> Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>The point he was trying to make is that calling 911 doesn't tell you
>>whether a phone has been activated. Even if 911 answers.
>

> The point is folks CAN'T get it activated on Xmas, so ** some ** call
> 911 to see if the hardware is working, and what the voice quality might
> be, etc.

And how much the fine will be.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular; PLEASE REPLY THERE]

In <1104753684.065892.125610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Kev"
<KevinXKitchen@aol.com> wrote:

>The phone is not activated in advance because many of us (me included)
>buy phones for our teenagers and don't want to pay for time we are not
>using between the purchase and Christmas day.

It's a simple matter of calling to have it activated on the day before
Christmas (as I did for my daughter). Surely it's better to give a *working*
present at the expense of one day of service. ;-)

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <1104753684.065892.125610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Kev" <KevinXKitchen@aol.com> wrote:

> The phone is not activated in advance because many of us (me included)
> buy phones for our teenagers and don't want to pay for time we are not
> using between the purchase and Christmas day.

EXACTLY

If you bought over the web from AT&T Wireless they activate it before
shipping, and you pay (if you dont complain) starting the day they
activated it.
!