The Walking Dead - Season 3 and into 4

What are you guys thoughts on Season 3 so far since we're soon to enter the 2nd half of it?

It's really taken some weird turns with Carl having to kill his own mother and things like that?

I know this is a modified take off on the comic books, (which I have not read the first one of them), but from the Talking Dead disclosure of characters brought forward and additionally added that weren't even in the original comic books.

I have to admit as a SciFi fan, this has been able to maintain my curiosity level as lately anything Science Fiction classification worthy is few and far between.

Who ever thought a prison could be a safe haven, (well if it was totally secure that is), because for the longest time in the first 2 seasons there were very few unaffected people compared to the mass of infected.

Seems the further into the seasons more and more survivors are popping up to join the munch festival! :lol:

The governor is one freaky dude!

Daughter kept as a loving pet with Zombie heads in fish tanks!

Merl still alive, (well at least as far as the ending episode! :) )!

Anyone know right off when season 3 resumes?

This is amended into season 4 at the end of the thread!

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
February 10th is when it starts up again. I'm not a huge fan of zombies, but I like to watch this show because of the social dynamics that are involved. Most scenes are very high-tension, and you never know when a huge mob of zombies are going to start chasing them. Lol.

I didn't like seeing Merl still alive...I'm very against bringing back characters randomly after they've been written off and are gone for literally 2 seasons, now playing a huge role in the events of the show. But I do like the character!

There's a lot of irony in the show too, such as the prison like you mentioned, but also the title. I think the title refers to those alive, not those dead. It's very poetic and changes the way I watch and process the show.

I'm looking forward to the second half of the season. And if I'm in a situation like that, I wish for a samurai sword too! XD

Regarding Merl, it's hard to picture him and Daryl teaming up together, Daryl has come through so much to even still be alive, and he has developed what's left of his own humanity, so he is past being subject unto Merl, and he knows who he trusts and doesn't trust.

At least I hope so as Daryl is my favorite character on the show, which is a dilemma in itself, having a favorite character on that show that could be killed off in the next episode?

I think the sword is an excellent weapon to have in your zombie survival gear, but it's still disturbing to see a head still active after being severed from the body, even though it cannot mobilize itself it can still bite, That's just Weird!

The only true advantage is the zombies have no use for weapons, so they should be in an abundance laying around everywhere in areas of police and military presence, the biggest issue is running out of ammo.

IMO staying stocked with ammo and food like MREs should be the highest priority, find a good sniper rifle from a military facility, cleaning kits, cases of ammo plenty of MREs and find some high ground that you make inaccessible from below, like some kind of water tower, or light house, etc..

Then shoot from a long distance, head shots only!

I know that sounds morbid and sick!

But if you were actually in that situation, what would you do?

Have you ever thought about what you would do if somehow this, or something similar actually happened?

We are living in an age of gene splicing, genetic engineering, weapons of mass destruction of all varieties, and experimentation going on Top Secret that the public is completely unaware of.

So it's just a matter of time before the Genie is released from the bottle!

That's really what the movies Frankenstein, Terminator, I Am Legend, etc. were about, man creating something he could not control.

Season 3 episode 9, That was interesting and disappointing at the same time?

Daryl has left the group with Merl, I just hope Merl doesn't end up getting Daryl killed!

Daryl is my favorite character, but you cannot get too used to a character as quick as they get killed off.

I thought it kinda funny when the jail newbies were looking at Carole and Carl, saying they would be a piece of cake taking out!

ROFLMAO :lol: That kid killed his own mother!

He won't have any remorse getting rid of you! :lol:

Easier said than done!

What the heck was with Rick at the end?

Season 3 Episode 10, Well Rick is off the deep end in the beginning with visions of his dead wife.

Daryl steps out from under big brother Merls shadow!

The Governor assaults the prison, then tosses in a walker bomb!

Altogether a great episode, IMO!

Love this one way conversation here! :lol:

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Things are getting better and better, or more interesting.

I'm curious to know more about Rick's plans to go against Woodbury, and which side will Andrea stand on.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
It would seem that the governor is going to try and use that smaller party to plan a trojan attack on the prison, perhaps.

Andrea just needs to go ahead and kill him while she has the chance...

@calmstateofmind

Well Andrea had her butt naked chance, :) but she didn't go through with it?

The governor must be giving her some good loving she doesn't want to give up.

Anyone know how many more episodes are left in season 3?

@vaironl

It is getting better and better!

Whatever Rick's plans are I'm glad he is taking Michon with him, that girl is seriously deadly, it's much better having her with you than against you!

I just hope nothing happens to Carl, if it does Rick would totally loose it, he is hanging on by threads now.

Well this is somewhat of a shock, wouldn't have put you as a Walking Dead fan Ryan :D.

The gap between the episodes was the mid-season finale, so I'm guessing there will be 16 episodes.

I'm kinda disappointed with how the show handled Tyreese, he's such a vital character in the comics (I'v read till issue 90 something, cant remember) and he is just nothing in the show. Maybe he will play a role in the later episodes and see's how the Governor is crazy, but I don't think so. Have a feeling he is little more than a shout-out to those who have read the comics, at least they got his hammer right.

Don't think anything overly negative will happen to the prison gang from now on, they'v been bashed and killed off for 2/3rds of a season, its gonna hit a point where they will just start winning.
Though if the show follows the comics at all...

I'm really a SciFi fanatic, but really good SciFi movies are few and far between!

The Walking Dead got my curiosity up but in the beginning I did not know it was a comic book take off, haven't read any of the comics and do not intend to.

My biggest question is why?

Why is this all happening in the first place?

How did this infection get started and could it be stopped?

I guess if it's a never ending comic book festival, they'll just milk the cow for all it's worth, and we'll never find out the whys?

All really good SciFi needs some kind of reason why it's happening?

But now, for me, it's a curiosity adventure as to what happens next!

Robert Kirkman (creator of TWD) has said that he will never explain how and why the infection started and he's held true to that so far. Even the explanation we get at the CDC (end of Season 1) just never happens in the comics.

There's a reason most Zombie fiction (28 days later) starts with a coma patient, too difficult to explain how it all got started :lol:.

New episode and the return of an old character!

Morgan is just as crazy as he is in the comics :D
Rick leaves a man for dead on the side of a road.
Michone is finally accepted into the group, and Carl demonstrates how much he lets Rick "think" for him with that "common interests" argument. Will be interesting to see how he copes with suspected (comic foretold) events.

That was a great episode!

What a dilemma Morgan has been through, couldn't put his infected wife down and that leads to loosing his son by her!

Carl has to shoot his own mother, there really are some morality decisions taking place that if were real, would be devastating having to live with!

Robert Kirkman (creator of TWD) has said that he will never explain how and why the infection started

So no light at the end of the tunnel eh, just more zombies. :pfff:

The problem with that is keeping interest, there needs to be a why this is happening?

The events in "I Am Legend" unfolded from a mutated cancer cure drug, "Resident Evil", from genetic experimentation basically opening Pandoras Box onto the world.

Very few movies are successful leaving out the why, Alien was very successful with no explanation of why the ship was downed on LV426, Aliens was so good we didn't care, we just wanted more but eventually zombie killing is just mundane and they have to get more and more shocking or the audience looses interest.

How many different ways can you kill zombies?

In time that's about as interesting as "How many Ways Can You Use Duct Tape."

Though I do know a doctor that used Duct Tape to hold his $90,000.00 Mercedes front bumper on! :lol:

That's the character importance relating to these individual survivors, or the series would have already dropped off the charts!

But we know the path the Alien movie progression took after Aliens was released, it just went downhill.

I think what bothered me the most in this episode was leaving the guy on the road!

If you don't at least try to help those not infected, you've already lost the compassion that makes you human in the first place.

Not really sure what the show writers are portraying there, because if the guy walking down the road was bad enough to have survived to that point, he wouldn't have been found dead when they returned.

He would have never been at their mercy!

I guess the show writers did not realize that was Rambo! :lol:

To me TWD has never been about a deep plot, its about the characters that populate the world. I'm not particularly concerned that we don't know how it started and IMO we don't need to know.
Besides, try writing an explanation into the plot. Unless Rick and the gang suddenly develop a scientific interest and try to find out themselves (when Jenner couldn't despite having a safe haven, resources, laboratories and much better education on the subject), they will be running, trying to survive, not to figure it out.

Actually in the original novel "I Am Legend" they are vampires and intelligent, not zombies at all. The movie took great liberties. The virus also just mysteriously appeared and is never explained despite Neville's (Will Smith's character) best efforts.

Also about how many ways can you kill a zombie, AMC I think are deliberately trying to find out. Lot of criticism for Season 2 essentially being an extended conversation, not much happened in the way of zombie action.
Have a look at the scene where Daryl slams the car trunk on a zombies head, after watching it a few times you just notice the Tarantino-level amounts of blood :lol:.

Rick leaving the hitchhiker had a mixed reaction from me, on one hand it affirmed that the show was following the themes of the comic (That even hero's will become corrupted) and that Rick isn't some kind of paragon of all goodness character. This is only really starting to show at the end of Season 2 and in Season 3, and I like how it is happening.

On the other, its the final confirmation that the paragon of goodness, our clear hero of the story is gone. Subconsciously we as an audience assume the narrative perspective to be from a hero character, that is just so ingrained that now that it has changed, leaves confusion. We no longer have a benchmark to establish morality in TWD now, as our previous one has become corrupt.

But yeah, did question how he dies so easily if he's survived this long. Rick and the group don't even consider the Walkers that much of a threat anymore, by now they are just the backdrop to the real threat, other people.

It's easy to get taken in to the ooh and aah, as I've already said I have no comic book background of the walking dead, and also have not read the book I am legend, just saw the movie.

I think the last comic book I read was when I was 15 and that was 45 years ago!

I'm just saying SciFi does need some believability or it's just fantasy period.

If I was in the walking dead low on ammo and I was Carl, would I have shot Morgan in the chest?

No!, I would have shot him in the head, period!

If he was shooting at me!

I would have put him down, period!

There would have been no show about Morgan, other than his death!

Maybe that's my military background coming out and partially why I want to see the governor slaughtered, because of his slaughter of those surviving soldiers.

A shotgun straight to the face of the governor and blow his whole head off, that's his just rewards IMO.

So comic book relating or not, is irrelevant to me.

According to what I've gleaned regarding the relation to comic book, the TV series is not dedicating to that path, aren't Merl and Daryl added characters?

I'm pretty sure they addressed that in talking dead.

I suggest you do read it, I don't read comics at all and its the first that I have actually read beyond a few issues. There is at least one site out there that has them all available I'm sure.

The TV is loosely following the comics, though there are several large departures. For instance, Shane is killed off before they even leave Atlanta.
And yeah, Daryl and Merle (T-Dog and Jacqui as well) are completely new characters, same with Milton in Woodbury.

I suggest you do read it, I don't read comics at all and its the first that I have actually read beyond a few issues.

No offense but I'm not going to read the Walking Dead comics, I don't care that much about it, besides Justified, there's not much on TV presently even worth watching.

And it's definitely not a TV show I can share with my wife, so it's total value is that it's free, on air as part of a very, very, small percentage of the TV service we're already paying for.

The more you learn regarding how the show is actually made the less appealing it becomes, until you're taking apart each scene discounting it's relevance.

IMO some of the best SciFi ran a total of 15 seasons starting with Stargate SG1 on through Stargate Atlantis, the Walking Dead will probably go the route of Babylon 5 maybe 5 seasons.

But we'll see, Right. ;)

I guess the Walking Dead would be classed as SciFi Horror?

Maybe it cannot even be classed as SciFi at all?

I see you disregarded Carl not shooting Morgan in the head. :)

That is the classic known kill take out of a walker, to put them down the head has to be destroyed, and since according to the quick change of Shane they're already dead anyway, why waste a bullet and shoot in the chest.

Maybe that episode was a wake up call for Rick to see where he was headed, if he doesn't snap out of his haze.

Personally Rick's haze is guilt from not being closer to his wife before she died because of her relationship with Shane, but Carl should be the most mentally traumatized he shot his own mother?

And he seems to have it together better than anyone else on the show!

mohit9206

Distinguished
i love TWD tv series. the characters, the story, the setting, are some of the best on tv. the two episodes after the mid season finale were boring but the last one was good. ive never read the comics but i still enjoy the show.

Season 3 Episode 14, That was interesting!, Andrea is now a victim of her own hesitation to kill the governor, how many chances did she pass up on, now she'll find out what the governor is really like!

The governor seems to have nine lives! :lol:

Bit of backstory between Andrea and Michonne, though it doesn't do much to further either character.
Governor looks a bit masochistic with those chains.

Milton is betraying the Governor, engineering his downfall but refuses to kill him for fear of a greater evil taking his place and the hope of reclaiming his old character.
Have a feeling Martinez running Woodbury would quickly turn into a Dictatorship (a la Rick at the end of Season 2).

Andrea runs off and perpetuates Tyreese's character arc. Him realizing that Woodbury is not what it seems, that others are delusioned by its safety. Then he's back where he started, about half an episode of character development gone. Really hope that he's just lying, that he doesn't accept just accept The Governor's weak excuse.

I know The Governer is tough, but how the hell did he fight off that many walkers! All he had was a shovel and an empty pistol while backed into a corner!
That being said, the warehouse scene was very well done. Suits the name of the episode.
Would have been fairly good if Andrea had killed The Governor actually, would be an anti-climax against the massive build up to the inevitable Rick vs Governor showdown.

The Governor saw through Milton pretty quickly, might just end up being Milton that shoots him in the back rather than Andrea considering she a bit tied up at the moment :lol:.

Wonder how the showdown will happen...
My knowledge of the comics says that there will be a battle at the prison, but that was anti-climactic as Rick never directly fights the Governor. But the show seems to be moving in a completely different direction. Seems that it will all go down at the Michonne swap meeting.

My guess on who will kill the governor.
15% - Tyreese
15% - Andrea (somehow)
30% - Rick
20% - Michonne
10% - Milton
5% - Walker/s
5% - A currently show unknown character named Lilly, need to read the comics to know why, but I'l avoid potential spoilers.

Also, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct releases tomorrow on all three major gaming platforms...
Doesnt look like anything more than the typical horrible Hollywood sanctioned game to me, just this is for a TV show instead of a movie. Though wont judge as the embargo hasn't lifted on it yet, so no reviews. Who knows, might be as good as Telltales The Walking Dead, which I enjoyed very much and I dont usually play Point and Click's.

Andrea thought the governor was finished off by the walkers and he didn't have a chance that's why she left, I kinda thought she would have at least took off with the truck though, she knew it was out there?

If nothing else checked it for keys or stashed weapons!

The writers leave a lot of loop holes that's for sure!

I think Milton will be the one to kill the governor, the evidence that the mind of his old friend is just not there anymore is too obvious now!

Milton has to make the decision between the worst of 2 evils, and what he can continue to live with, it would be best if he went for a 2 for 1 and killed Martinez too!

That would be best for Woodbury, Milton may become the new governor!

Of course that's just my opinion, as we have no idea what the show writers are going to do, and according to what I've discovered it's not paralleling the comics anyway.

Which is good, because it is interesting to those that think they already know what's going to happen! :lol:

As far as the game releases I got my zombie killing fill with Left 4 Dead. :)