merlin666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have recently been given a processor (Intel P4 2.8,512L2,800FSB) by a friend who was having problems when trying to boot windows. It would get to the boot screen with the scrolling bar then freeze up. The friend said that when he booted in Linux he had no problems. I have a machine with a new MB (MSI 865GM3-LS) and new memory in which I installed the processor. I booted from my Windows XP Pro Disk and did a full install. When finished the same thing happened, it would freeze when it got to the Windows screen with the scrolling bar. I do not know much about computers so assumed that if the processor was faulty the computer would not go through a windows install or work with Linux. Can anybody tell me whether this is a problem I can fix or will I need a new processor. Is there any checks I can do on the processor?
Any help will be much appreciated.
thanks

merlin666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Update

I have installed Linux (ubuntu) on the computer this morning and it works perfectly. I just don't understand this, could this be a processor problem if Linux works?
Can anyone help me?

I suppose it's remotely possible that XP could be trying to use a portion of your CPU that is faulty, while Linux does not. It could also be true that XP puts demands on the processor that is overheating it, while Linux is not quite as intensive.

Will XP boot into safe mode?

Did you clean the top surface of the CPU and apply new thermal paste? Is the fan on the CPU spinning?

Have you updated the BIOS on the new MB? One thing that happens with XP is that it incorrectly identifies a motherboard, and so installs the wrong drivers. A BIOS update often helps with this. Because you were able to do an installation before the lock, I would suspect that before the CPU.

merlin666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I suppose it's remotely possible that XP could be trying to use a portion of your CPU that is faulty, while Linux does not. It could also be true that XP puts demands on the processor that is overheating it, while Linux is not quite as intensive.

Will XP boot into safe mode?

Did you clean the top surface of the CPU and apply new thermal paste? Is the fan on the CPU spinning?

Have you updated the BIOS on the new MB? One thing that happens with XP is that it incorrectly identifies a motherboard, and so installs the wrong drivers. A BIOS update often helps with this. Because you were able to do an installation before the lock, I would suspect that before the CPU.

Thanks for the suggestions Proximon.
I have updated the BIOS but this has not changed anything.
I cleaned the top of the CPU and applied thermal paste when I installed it and the heatsink fan is running.
I cannot boot into safe mode either it gets as far as "Mup.sys" then either restarts or freezes.
I tried other boot options including:
"Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)"
This went to a pale blue windows screen (not blue screen of death) saying

"Microsoft (R) Windows (R) version 5.1 (Build 2600)"
"2 System Processors [512MB Memory] Multiprocessor Kernel"
"The system is booting in safemode - Directory Services Repair"

Then it locked up again.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Again thanks for the help.

My suspicion here is that the CPU/MB are not being detected correctly. When this happens, the wrong HAL (Hardware abstraction layer) is loaded, which could cause this to happen.

MSI also warns that your MB does not always detect memory correctly... you may need to go into BIOS and manually set the memory timings and such.

Probably best to try another processor in this board if you can, as a test.

To make sure XP is installing the correct HAL, you need to interrupt installation by pressing F5... when exactly you do this is not documented, but I believe it's around the time when it tells you to press F6.

The F5 thing will allow you to manually select your HAL, which should be something like "ACPI uniprocessor computer." Note that your selections will be in a small scrolling screen controlled by your arrow keys: not all choices are at first available.

The MSI forums are a great place to get help. Very active. When I had a MSI board I got great support there...

http://forum.msi.com.tw/

merlin666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Thanks Proximon!
Brilliant work. I could not believe it. I changed the HAL at setup and everything now works.
Again thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D