x1950xt in AGP

honestjohn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hi everyone,
I'm new to FORUMZ, this my first post, so I wanted to make a good first impression
OK, here are a few my not so quick impressions of the Gecube X1950XT. The first thing that struck me even before getting to the card was the Box it came in. It's huge with a very nice picture of Ruby I might add. (I dig redheads) It reminds me of the good old days when men were men and graphics cards came packaged in boxes the size of a small piece of luggage. Anyway, after opening the box I could see why. The card was massive, taking up the AGP slot plus 2 PCI slots. The pictures really don't do it justice and I think if I put it on top of my FX 5200 (tweener card) it would probably crush it. Luckily I have plenty of room in my case. The next thing I did was to examine the card to see if everything was attached properly and to my horror I immediately noticed they did not have any ramsinks attached to any of the memory chips and that there is about ½ inch of clearance between the memory chips and the cooler. So at this point I had visions of my 2 faulty HIS cards dancing around in my head.
Next, the install. Took 5 minutes and even as big as the card is, it fit fine and had plenty of clearance on all sides. Now for the part you've been waiting for, the performance. This is probably going to disappoint you as it did me briefly but it is not a whole lot faster than the HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo, at least on my rig anyway, but at least this card works CPU bottleneck and all! The default clocks on the card are 648 Mhz. Core and 700 Mhz (1400 mhz. Effective) for the memory. I have only done a few runs of 3DMark05/06 so far and the results are below. Note, you can't expect the same performance from this card as you would get from the PCI-E card. The PCI-E X1950XT's generally have their memory clocked at 1800 Mhz. Effective as the default.

HIS ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB (when it worked) Core 620 Mhz. / Memory 1480 Mhz. effective - $289
3DMark05: 9231
3DMark06: 4390

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 648 Mhz. / Memory 1400 Mhz. effective - $269
3DMark05: 9526
3DMark06: 4683

The next thing I tried was to see how far I could push the card and to be honest I didn't have much hope for the card considering the memory does not have any ramsinks as I mentioned before. I first used ATI's Cat.7.3 Overdrive but that did not allow for memory overclocking as the slider only went from 701-702 Mhz. So I loaded up ATI Tray Tools. After a little trial and error I found stable clocks of 675 Mhz. for the core which is actually the recommended maximum by Gecube and they're right, pushed it up a few notches to 683 Mhz. and the GPU shut down. As far as the memory goes, I was pleasantly surprised and managed 800 Mhz (1600 Mhz. effective). Artifacts began appearing around 850 Mhz. and decided to back it off a bit since perfromance gains are nominal. I'm actually pretty amazed I could overclock the memory at all. For testing stability I ran ATI Tray Tools 3DRenderer for 3 hours with maximum temps reached 70c which is normal and given as the average temp under 3D load by Gecube. I also bumped up the FAN speed to 90% with ATI Tray Tools with no noticeable noise from my already noisy case. Overclocking results below.....

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 675 Mhz. / Memory 1600 Mhz. effective - $269
3DMark05: 9763
3DMark06: 4860

Enough of that, now how about gaming. Haven't had much time unfortunately but I tested it with Prey, Quake 4, Doom3. Graphics quality is outstanding as is the X1950 Pro. Gaming at 1680x1050 whenever possible and with everything maxed and getting decent frame rates. Speaking of framerates, how do you shut the counter off in ATI Tray Tools. Everytime I load the thing I forget. One thing I noticed almost immediately was, I'll call it “perceived speed. Everything I played just “felt” faster with movements appearing much more fluid and realistic.

So am I happy with the purchase. Hell yeah. It's $20 cheaper than the HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 I had, it's faster, although not by much, but most importantly the x1950xt WORKS!!

Well, that's all for now and of course I'll be doing some more tweaking so see if I can squeeze any more performance out of the card. I'll keep you posted.

.....and as for all you guy with working X1950 Pro's. Keep'em, they're great cards and I wouldn't even think about upgrading to this one unless you have money to burn. For those sitting on the fence right now about buying the Pro. Jump off and buy THIS card instead. Although talking bang for the buck !

honestjohn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I'm just blowing my own horn, cause I am so happy with this upgrade. I just wanted you all to know. Sorry if its's a little to much, I'll keep it down next time.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Glad you're satisfied with it. I almost envy you. (My CPU would seriously bottleneck that card so I'm happy with my X800XL.)

To disable ATI Tray Tools overlay, right-click the program's icon in the system tray, click Tools and Options and then Onscreen Display. Uncheck Enable Onscreen Display.

pauldh

Illustrious
It is a beast of a card. Too bad it didn't have the same 1.0ns mem as the PCI-e X1950XT. I hadn't seen the mem clocks advertised, so I found your post informative in that aspect. Still, it will hold all bragging rights in AGP for now (and maybe always).

I'm overrun with decent AGP cards, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are eyeing up that $260 beauty and will be happy to read about your expereinces with it. Some people will find that post informative, others will find it annoying, so don't take any critisim personally. Anyway, Welcome to the forums and happy gaming with the beast.

honestjohn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
For those who are interested...These were the numbers on my rig ....and some history. As you can see, I have been though hell, but with a happy ending! I've been really into this lately, but now all is good, I'm just about finished with this for now,,, till my next upgrade anyway!!
Here are some other benches just for reference .......

Visiontek X1950 Pro 256MB (my 1st X1950 Pro) - returned for refund

3DMark05: 8756
3DMark06: 4034

Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB (my second X1950 Pro) - sold for more on Ebay (Really ripped-off that guy!! I'm ashamed to say)

3DMark05: 9119 / OC'd to HIS - 9261
3DMark06: 4232 / OC'd to HIS - 4356

HIS ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB (x2) (when it worked, third and last X1950 Pro) - refunded after 2nd bad card

3DMark05: 9231
3DMark06: 4390

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 675 Mhz. (recommended OC by Gecube ) / Memory 1400 Mhz. effective

3DMark05: 9616
3DMark06: 4683

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 675 Mhz. / Memory 1600 Mhz. effective

3DMark05: 9818 (tweaked some from previous post)
3DMark06: 4860

Hope this helps you people still stuck with AGP !!

honestjohn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
i may or may not change my mind about you.

it is just a very odd first post. some people post for help other posts to learn and other help.

very few post just to tell people their experiences with a product as their first post.

especially with the 8800's by nvidia hogging the limelight it did sound a bit fishy someone mentioning the fact that ATI rules the AGP front.

I can see your point, I'm not selling anything, just MY experiences! At this time there isn't much info about the x1950xt, as this is like Xmas for AGP people looking to upgrade. To balance things out, Yes nVidia is also due for some new AGP action.. With DX10 nvidia may just be the way to go...
But I needed a good AGP card NOW !

May I add that ATI is not is good, I, like many others have gone though HELL with the x1950pro, I'm just happy I have ONE unit that works, others may or may-not be so LUCKY !

pauldh

Illustrious
it is just a very odd first post. ...
very few post just to tell people their experiences with a product as their first post.
Agreed, but I don't really mind. I can however see a broad range of reations from flame, to ignor, rolleys, welcome, and even cool.... thanks.

pauldh

Illustrious
AGP SUX..... wait wrong thread
:lol:

Don't get me started on the other thread though. I ust flew off the coupe in that one because right now, AGP and S939 both suck when looking forward. Which basically means I am overrun with expensive garbage. :x

honestjohn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
But eBAY means you can still make a killing! 8)

God bless the uninformed. :twisted:

I just was dumping one card !! Cause I wanted better and by being 'greedy' ..
I got burnt bad, it was 110% hell. I should of kept it, and been happy, I'm retarded that way..

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
AGP SUX..... wait wrong thread
:lol:

Don't get me started on the other thread though. I ust flew off the coupe in that one because right now, AGP and S939 both suck when looking forward. Which basically means I am overrun with expensive garbage. :x

I'll gladly take the "garbage" off of your hands, especially that RAM and video card :lol:

Mackle

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Are there any new cards coming out on the AGP front, or is the X1950XT going to be the last relatively fast card for this interface?

Orion63

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I have heard that there will be Directx10 cards made for the AGP interface. Still some life left for us holdouts!

Honestjohn = rage3d?

cleeve

Illustrious
It's a safe bet the X1950 XT will be faster then Nvidia's 8600 GTS, even if it does show it's face in the AGP side.

Well, if the leaked specs are valid, anyway. It's supposed to have a 128-bit memory interface. Based on prerelesase pricing leaks the 8600 GTS looks like it might even have a tough time against the X1950 PRTO and 7900 GS.

Or course this is all speculation until the actual cards show up, but it seems like a reasonable conclusion.

pauldh

Illustrious
I'll gladly take the "garbage" off of your hands, especially that RAM and video card
lol, I'll keep that in mind. Right now it's all I got.

Hey, have you noticed it's about impossible to find a S939 X2? Just search the big sites and almost every model is out of stock. Rumor is an AMD price cut is coming, but probably just AM2 right. Anyway, I pulled the plug on an el cheapo 3800+ (to replace a 3000+) since it came back in stock today: $92 isn't too bad. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103052

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
aren't there any socket 939 mobos with pci-e slots?

personally, i have a p4 2.8 northy and for the price of that x1950xt agp, i would have gotten a mobo that supported socket 478 and pci-e so i could get the x1950xt pci-e. this way, if i ever upgrade the computer, i can still use my pci-e video card

I_AM_Honestjohn

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hello all, I post on several forums using the username Honestjohn and quite a bit on Guru3D.com. The sick twisted little freak who is posting under my identity was banned at Guru3D twice and for some reason has decided to come after me. He is stealing my posts, copying them here, linking to them, and then adding his inane little comments to them. If he give you any advice on the lastest cards, ignore it. He owns none of them. I have notified Guru3D.com of what is going on and I will be reporting his posts here. I just happend across this thread when doing a Google search on reviews for the X1950XT.

Guruboy you are reprorted and for this sick little game you should be put in jail.

To verify what I am saying here, I just made the post below under MY userID on Guru3D.com about the insanity going on here.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2213181&postcount=30

He copied my signature exactly from OverclockersUK Forum.....see the note in green I left to further verify my identity.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9036198&postcount=10