Kojak00

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Hello, newbie here with an odd problem:

Some time ago, I had to reset my computer for some kind of hic-up, and since then, the sound won't work - that is, mp3, movie sounds, system sounds and so on. Game sounds are still working fine though, which surprises me. Now, what should I do? A dxdiag gave the result that Directsound didn't work, and neither did DirectMusic for my Realtek AC97 and Microsoft Syntheziser. Midi and wavetable worked fine though. I'm running a P4 with Windows XP pro with everything else working fine.

I'm getting desperate here - what could be wrong?

edit: nevermind - seems the sound controls just had dropped to 0... :oops:

Hehe... the other day I was sure there was something wrong with XP because my USB HD wouldn't show up. A glance at my hub made me think it was plugged in, and I spent hours trying to work it out before I realized I had unplugged it days before and forgot about it.

Enterra

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Well, what have you tried so far?

I would uninstall the sound driver, and reinstall it. (possible with updated drivers from the manufacturer.

If that doesn't work, pull out your trusty OS disk, and do a windows repair. That will restore most of your vital system files. Might just do the trick.

Let me know how it goes.

Kojak00

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Thanks, but it solved itself due to that the controls had dropped - I did do a reinstallation of the sound drivers though, right after my first post, but that didn't do any good either...
What I still find odd though is that the sound was affected by a reboot - I have never experienced that before.