Upgrading from:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2 x 512MB Corsair XMS
Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester)
Geforce 6800 GT

To:

Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 nForce 590
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB GDDR3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+ Socket AM2 (65W)
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400

Going to throw in a DVD burner too. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the upgrade. Been out of the loop for a while. I've had the old PC for about 3 yrs. Also I have a 480W power supply and hoping that will be enough to run this upgrade. I mainly use the pc for gaming and editing video with Sony Vegas.

More about : thoughts upgrade

April 1, 2007 10:07:20 PM

Need more info on your PSU. What model specifically? The 8800 cards have very specific requirements for power, so won't know without more info.

Also, is there any particular reason you're going AMD? If you're looking for pure performance, then go with Intel Core2Duo. Otherwise consider something lower than a 4600+ for a better budget build. Your specs seem "lost" in the middle between budget build and horsepower.

Also, will you be doing any overclocking?

You must understand, it's hard for us to give our judgement on whether it's a good upgrade without more info.....what the system will be used for, what your expectations are, what the budget is, etc, etc. So is that a good upgrade? Sure it is. Is it the best upgrade for your budget, needs, wants, and other criteria? Dunno. Need more info.
Related resources
April 1, 2007 10:25:50 PM

I agree with Skyguy. Your specs don't seem to be either budget or powerhouse.

Regardless, I would suggest getting a Gigabyte DS3 mobo (or S3 if you want to save a few dollars) and Intel C2D (which model depends on if you will be overclocking and what your budget is).

Also, note that CPU prices will be dropping substantially in April (9th for AMD and 22nd for Intel).
April 1, 2007 10:27:39 PM

Sorry about that. My PSU is an Antec NeoPower 480W
found here. Budget wise I wanted to try and keep it around $1,000, I'm going to be reusing my 2 WD Raptors in the new build.

Only reason I went AMD was due to the price drops recently but if I will get better performance from a C2D then I will go that route. i'm not one for overclocking unless all it takes is a few adjustments in the bios. I always stick with air cooling.

If I do go for C2D any suggestions on mobo? Doh, just saw your previous post, I'm guessing the DS3 has been a solid performer. Price isn't bad either.

Also if I do need a new PSU I was looking at this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002
April 1, 2007 11:39:04 PM

That's a very good PSU. I'd also suggest looking at the Seasonic S12 Energy+. The Corsair is actually made by Seasonic and the Energy+ is very quiet.
April 2, 2007 2:29:47 AM

Ok I'll look into that one. So I'm guessing I should wait until April 22 to upgrade then? How big of a price drop are we talking?
April 2, 2007 4:10:22 AM

Quote:
Ok I'll look into that one. So I'm guessing I should wait until April 22 to upgrade then? How big of a price drop are we talking?

As much as 40% price cuts. I can't find the nicely formatted table including percents, but here's a decent one.
April 2, 2007 5:09:04 AM

Looks like the 6420 or the 6600 will be a good buy at that time. Thanks for the help. I will wait until the 22nd and then order all my stuff. Itching to get my new pc and get vista on it.
!