Games think I have Windows NT?

Braxas

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi there--

I am trying to re-install some old classics (might and magic, uprising). For some reason when I try to install them it says "This game was not made for windows NT.."

I have Windows 2000 pro. I have ran these games on this computer before, so I know it works. Why would they suddenly think I have NT, and how do I fix it??

My windows folder is called "WINNT". It is supposed to, right? I certainly have never changed it.

Thanks!

Windows 2000 Pro = Windows NT 5.0

Basically, older software not designed for NT will recognize 2K as NT. Try using the compatibility settings... I think they are there if I remember right.

Braxas

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Where might i find 'compatibility settings?' I looked in the control panels and did a search.. found nothin'. Also looked at system settings and just poked around relevant areas...

WilliamT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Many older games checked the version of your Windows OS before continuing. The Application Compatiblity layer basically added an API hook to reroute the Windows GetVersionEx API call to return back an older version number than what the OS usually returns.

I don't think the App Layer is available through Microsoft anymore because they want you to buy Windows XP instead.

You can download a trial version of Virtual PC from Microsoft and install an older Windows OS on it. You can then install your software on your virtual PC and run it from there.

If you have some programming experience, you can write your own GetVersionEx API hook. I'm running a Win2k OS, but some of my programs think I'm running on Windows 98. (I use Visual C++ 6).

http://www.osix.net/modules/article/index.php?id=728