Best CRT rear projection?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 17, 2004 6:23:16 PM

Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets

More about : crt rear projection

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:23:17 PM

Pioneer Elite.

=================
"me" <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message
> Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:25:57 PM

Pioneer or MGA, Samsung have way too many service related issues.
"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Pioneer Elite.
>
> =================
> "me" <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message
>> Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets

October 17, 2004 8:19:56 PM

me <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95854B23DFD60menospammcom@207.217.125.201>...
> Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets

Yes, Hitachi 51S500 or the new Hitachi 51S715, the best
rear-projection for the money. Loaded with features, excellent feature
set, excellent out of the box configuration. Deep blacks. Hitachi has
the best auto-convergence, an upconverter for all analog sources,
etc..

Right next to the Hitachi models mentioned I'd place the Toshiba
51HX93, another excellent choice.

Pioneer no longer makes Elite series CRT-rear projection sets. If you
can find one it should be discounted. If you find a good bargin, the
Elite series is a good choice as well the only problem I have with the
Elite series is the price. They have grossly overpriced compared to
what Hitachi and Toshiba offer. Comparing apples to apples, their
technology isn't good enough to justify the $1000+ difference in cost
between Hitachi and Toshiba's high-end product (Hitachi's S series and
Toshiba's HX series), Pionner's strategy was excellent service and
only select retailers could sell their product. When you buy a Pionner
Elite, you're paying for that service. It's was bit like buying a
Royals Royce. Pionner had the choice to lower their prices on CRT
rear-projection sets or exit the market, they wisely exited the CRT
rear-projection market last year and focuses now only on Plasma and
LCD sets which matches their marketing strategy of targeting the high
end consumer. Pioneer continues to sell CRT-rear projection sets, but
they aren't part of the Elite series, they can't compete with the
other models I've mentioned.

Visit these websites for feature comparisons (they both have all the
same features, both models are competitive):

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?mod...
http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/projection_i...
October 17, 2004 8:32:07 PM

Samsung has the best bang for the buck, Pioneer Elite is the best
Consumer version. Not sure if the Elite's are available any more.

Check www.avsforum.com they have the best forum around.

Clay

"me" <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message
> Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:46:13 PM

My wife and I recently purchased the Mitsubishi WS55315 from Sears in one of
their no interest or payments for a year sales. This is an outstanding TV.
I Mitsubishi is the king of the Rear projections. The price was only $1899.

Great, Great TV!

<><

me <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message
> Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:15:35 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:23:16 +0000, me wrote:

> Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets

I really like my Mitsubishi WT42313. Great picture, adequate connections,
and (relatively) dirt cheap. I was looking at the various DLP models, but
I wasn't satisfied with the picture quality (mainly black levels)
compared to the CRT. Of course, this is last years model...

feroce
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:57:29 AM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Pioneer or MGA, Samsung have way too many service related issues.

Art, Mitsubishi has not been MGA for many years. Mitsubishi is MDEA,
Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America. Most consumers these days would
have no idea what you are referring to when using MGA.

Leonard
October 18, 2004 4:31:44 AM

While I agree that both the Hitachi and the Toshiba are good products,
the Pioneers were in a different class as far as picture quality.
Expensive yes, but the best none the less. IMO. I've looked at a LOT
of properly set up set too. The OP didn't mention a price, so I didn't
really factor that accept to say I thought for the money Samsung was
the best bang for the buck. Best picture for the money, not the best
picture, and not the best price.

The problem as I see it is people are swayed by the new technologies
even if they're not as good as the old. There fore the price of CRT
set's is going to drop as demand dies and companies can change over to
the new equipment.

Clay

"JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
> me <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message
> > Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets
>

> Yes, Hitachi 51S500 or the new Hitachi 51S715, the best
> rear-projection for the money. Loaded with features, excellent
feature
> set, excellent out of the box configuration. Deep blacks. Hitachi
has
> the best auto-convergence, an upconverter for all analog sources,
> etc..
>
> Right next to the Hitachi models mentioned I'd place the Toshiba
> 51HX93, another excellent choice.
>

> Pioneer no longer makes Elite series CRT-rear projection sets. If
you
> can find one it should be discounted. If you find a good bargin, the
> Elite series is a good choice as well the only problem I have with
the
> Elite series is the price. They have grossly overpriced compared to
> what Hitachi and Toshiba offer. Comparing apples to apples, their
> technology isn't good enough to justify the $1000+ difference in
cost
> between Hitachi and Toshiba's high-end product (Hitachi's S series
and
> Toshiba's HX series), Pionner's strategy was excellent service and
> only select retailers could sell their product. When you buy a
Pionner
> Elite, you're paying for that service. It's was bit like buying a
> Royals Royce. Pionner had the choice to lower their prices on CRT
> rear-projection sets or exit the market, they wisely exited the CRT
> rear-projection market last year and focuses now only on Plasma and
> LCD sets which matches their marketing strategy of targeting the
high
> end consumer. Pioneer continues to sell CRT-rear projection sets,
but
> they aren't part of the Elite series, they can't compete with the
> other models I've mentioned.
>

> Visit these websites for feature comparisons (they both have all the
> same features, both models are competitive):
>
> http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?mod...
> http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/projection_i...
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:56:14 AM

I'll second that on my Hitachi 46" RPT.
"JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
> me <me@nospamm.com> wrote in message
> > Any thoughts on the best 42 to 52 inch rear projection CRT sets
>

> Yes, Hitachi 51S500 or the new Hitachi 51S715, the best
> rear-projection for the money. Loaded with features, excellent feature
> set, excellent out of the box configuration. Deep blacks. Hitachi has
> the best auto-convergence, an upconverter for all analog sources,
> etc..
>
> Right next to the Hitachi models mentioned I'd place the Toshiba
> 51HX93, another excellent choice.
>

> Pioneer no longer makes Elite series CRT-rear projection sets. If you
> can find one it should be discounted. If you find a good bargin, the
> Elite series is a good choice as well the only problem I have with the
> Elite series is the price. They have grossly overpriced compared to
> what Hitachi and Toshiba offer. Comparing apples to apples, their
> technology isn't good enough to justify the $1000+ difference in cost
> between Hitachi and Toshiba's high-end product (Hitachi's S series and
> Toshiba's HX series), Pionner's strategy was excellent service and
> only select retailers could sell their product. When you buy a Pionner
> Elite, you're paying for that service. It's was bit like buying a
> Royals Royce. Pionner had the choice to lower their prices on CRT
> rear-projection sets or exit the market, they wisely exited the CRT
> rear-projection market last year and focuses now only on Plasma and
> LCD sets which matches their marketing strategy of targeting the high
> end consumer. Pioneer continues to sell CRT-rear projection sets, but
> they aren't part of the Elite series, they can't compete with the
> other models I've mentioned.
>

> Visit these websites for feature comparisons (they both have all the
> same features, both models are competitive):
>
> http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?mod...
> http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/projection_i...
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:37:20 AM

>From: jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats)

>Yes, Hitachi 51S500 or the new Hitachi 51S715, the best>rear-projection for
the money. Loaded with features, excellent feature>set, excellent out of the
box configuration. Deep blacks.> Hitachi has
>the best auto-convergence>>

Bought me a 51s a year ago, absolutely love it, then got my Mom a 57s few
months later, she loves it too. No probs. Preciseness of convergence
dialing-in is wonderful. I even have my own set precisely converged to be
perfect with my thick nearsighted glasses. I.e., my thick glasses make ANY tv
automatically out of convergence because the colors separate the farther from
the center of the line of sight. (You nearsighted people know what I'm talkin
about.) I just adjusted the convergence so from where I watch the set (very
close to the screen), it is now perfect again! This was actually an odd bonus
that I got as opposed to a fixed display like a plasma or lcd. Of course if
somebody drops by and watches my set, it will be very slightly out of
convergence for their perfect eyeballs, but....F*** em! ]8 )
.....Frenchy
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:07:19 PM

> My wife and I recently purchased the Mitsubishi WS55315 from Sears in one of
> their no interest or payments for a year sales. This is an outstanding TV.
> I Mitsubishi is the king of the Rear projections. The price was only $1899.
>
> Great, Great TV!

Wow, that sounds like a great deal!
I am actually in the market for the same kind of thing.
What are your favorite features?
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:53:15 PM

"The Man From Mars" <deaded77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I recently purchased the Mitsubishi WS55315 from Sears in one
of
> their no interest or payments for a year sales. This is an outstanding
TV.
> I Mitsubishi is the king of the Rear projections. The price was only
$1899.

> Great, Great TV!

I've read that Hitachi makes their own CTS's, etc., and that Mitsubishi sets
actually use the Hitachi components.
October 28, 2004 4:15:56 AM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:53:15 GMT, "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com>
wrote:

>I've read that Hitachi makes their own CTS's, etc., and that Mitsubishi sets
>actually use the Hitachi components.

Hitachi makes the CRT's for most of the other brands.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 11:07:43 AM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've read that Hitachi makes their own CTS's, etc., and that Mitsubishi
sets
> actually use the Hitachi components.

What are CTS's? What you have heard is as meaningless as saying that we
share DNA with worms. All manufacturers use parts made by other suppliers,
including those with the same names as their competition. Occasionally a
vendor will source an entire chassis or set from another, such as some of
the Zeniths that had chassis made by Hitachi. Hitachi CRTs have been used
in some Sony sets, as have Panasonic CRTs. I don't know of any Mitsubishi
that has used Hitachi CRTs or circuit boards, nor vice versa.

That said, some Hitachi sets have very good CRTs and optics, as do the Mits
sets. You could also get a real dog from either, or any other manufacturer.
Both are among the best sets to consider and you should look at the
resulting performance and the service available when comparing for a
purchase.

Leonard
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 4:23:16 PM

> That said, some Hitachi sets have very good CRTs and optics, as do the Mits
> sets. You could also get a real dog from either, or any other manufacturer.
> Both are among the best sets to consider and you should look at the
> resulting performance and the service available when comparing for a
> purchase.
> Leonard

I have heard that Sears has the best warrenty and service program around.
I am thinking of getting a flat screen from them.
Any advice?
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 5:34:16 PM

"Lola" <hoppie_2k3@yahoo.com> wrote

> I have heard that Sears has the best warrenty and service program around.
> I am thinking of getting a flat screen from them.
> Any advice?

Sears has a good reputation for its TV service and extended warranties.
Also, they will negotiate prices with you. Based on my own experience with
Sears, where I bought a TV well under not only MSRP but also Sears' listed
price for it, you should not just pay "sticker price". Make Sears an offer
and see what they say. Check ads, go around and get some written price
offers from other retailers, then take your best price to Sears and let them
beat it.

mack
austin
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:39:48 PM

> Sears has a good reputation for its TV service and extended warranties.
> Also, they will negotiate prices with you. Based on my own experience with
> Sears, where I bought a TV well under not only MSRP but also Sears' listed
> price for it, you should not just pay "sticker price". Make Sears an offer
> and see what they say. Check ads, go around and get some written price
> offers from other retailers, then take your best price to Sears and let them
> beat it.

Thanks for the tips.
Based on all the sales that Sears has been having lately on all their
TVs, this has now become my place of choice for my new TV.
Go Sears!
!