PSU - all same size or not?

mcfly2000

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I'm about to replace my old 200W PSU in an Asus barebone.
... at least that's what i thought I was going to do.

I checked the dimensions (online) of some PSU's. Found out that they all were 15cm x 14cm x 8.6 cm.

Then I measured the one in my barebone... that one turned out to be 12cm x 12cm x 8,6cm

Is this even possible?

I thought all PSUs had standardised dimensions, no?

Don't think I will be able to fit a 'normal-sized' PSU in thos barebone now. :/

mcfly2000

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Basicly there are 2 standards. Ther is ATX and the mATX. Sounds like you have the mATX which is no suprise coming from a bare bones system. mATX are quite limited in the amount of power they can supply do to there small size. If you are in need of a good amount of power you may need to get a new cas as well as a new PSU.

Where can one buy mATX PSUs?

And btw, if I have to buy another case, I have to buy another motherboard, too.
And then I might as well buy a totally new PC.

I need a mATX PSU with more power. :(

mcfly2000

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
You should be able to take the motherboard out of that case and transfer it into a new case. mATX PSUs can be found anywhere regular PSU are sold.

Here are some options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+1131310094&name=MicroATX

As you can see you are limited in what is availible and how much power they offer.

Hmm, it would be really nice to see the exact dimensions of those mATX power supplies. I tried Googling, but can't find anything detailed.

The case I have is this, btw:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=1&l2=2&l3=405&model=508&modelmenu=1

I have a AMD 64 3400+ for it. The motherboard is already installed, obviously. I have 2x 256mb DDR RAM for it, as well + geforce 6800GT AGP video card.

So you see, how vital it is that I get a PSU for this thing.
If the PSU thing fails, I need a new case, then I have to buy a new mobo (presumably) and then I might as well buy a new CPU. CPU's don't cost much these days.
Soon it will have cost me a fortune, only because I can't fit a better PSU in this chassis. :(

mcfly2000

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Ok that holds a standard mATX PSU and the motherboard in it is a standard mATX motherboard. The motherboard will fit inside any case all you have to do is un screw it from that case and drop it onto the motherboard tray of a new case. All standard ATX cases can hold an mATX motherboard. They are designed or at least the mATX specification for motherboards was designed to fit in a standard ATX case. It really isn't too big of a thing.

OK, great.
So I guess I'll be buying a really cheap standard sized tower + a Corshair 520Q PSU and just move this motherboard.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I thought all PSUs had standardised dimensions, no?

No. Even if you stick within one class, such as micro-ATX or ATX, PS sizes vary widely. Some OEMs spec a unit of an oddball size and if yours dies a few years down the road, good luck finding a replacement that fits. For example, go try to find a replacement PS unit for a 5 year old Sony Vaio micro-ATX desktop. SOL.

Go to Newegg and look at the dimensions of the PCP&C 1KW ATX unit, then look at some lower wattage units. Just shop around and look for the physical size specs. Plenty of variation.

Latest posts