Upgrading XP home to Pro

Tags:
  • Clean Install
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows XP
April 25, 2006 7:03:53 AM

Hi,

I've been told by my IT department that there's no way of upgrading an installation of XP home to XP pro. The only way to do it, they allege, is to do a clean install of Pro and loose all the data on the machine.

This short article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix...
would suggest that, as I suspected, this is nonsense. However, since they're supposed to be the experts I just thought I'd double check with you guys before I challenged them!

More about : upgrading home pro

April 25, 2006 11:11:55 AM

A clean install doesn't mean losing your data - you just back it up onto CD/DVD before you wipe the hard disk.
April 25, 2006 9:55:01 PM

You can upgrade just fine. I've done it several times myself. I would recommend a clean install if possible, but it's not neccessary.
Related resources
April 25, 2006 11:43:36 PM

A better question would be why would you want to?

You have more than 5 computers on your home network?

Do you need to connect to a domain?

If the answer is no to both questions, then you really don't need Pro and can stick with Home.
April 26, 2006 7:29:25 AM

Quote:
A better question would be why would you want to?

You have more than 5 computers on your home network?

Do you need to connect to a domain?

No to both.

However, I do need to run IIS and I do need remote services. AFAIK I can't get either on home without indulging in some dreadful hacks.

What's really annoying me about this is the price of the Xp pro upgrade disks. I've already paid for a home licence, but the price of an upgrade is almost as much as I'd pay for an off-the-bat copy of Xp pro.
May 2, 2006 1:51:31 PM

There is a way to convert a home installation into a pro one but I wouldn’t recommend it as it is not exactly legal.
May 10, 2006 7:36:07 AM

What I do is use Partition Magic and Ghost or Image and make a partition for my data.

Example:
C: = OS, D:= Data.

This way if you need to redo your OS the data is safe. Those backing up to a CD/DVD is best.
Anonymous
May 30, 2009 8:55:40 AM

choknuti said:
There is a way to convert a home installation into a pro one but I wouldn’t recommend it as it is not exactly legal.

how?
May 31, 2009 3:50:17 AM

@ choknuti:
yes, am interested as well. :-)
am on SP1 but would like to upgrade to SP2 as newly installed LCD display cannot accept new driver.
!