olie

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Explorer doesn't load it just stops and when i close it i get this message.

The instruction at "0x1001cd11" referenced memory at "0x1001cd11". The memory could not be "read".

What does this mean???

archerman

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
It means you should DL FIREFOX and use that as your default web browser... then you will need to try and get IE reinstalled and only use IE if you absolutly have to.

Run spyware and virus scans... make sure everything is ok on that front. IE really isn't so bad as long as you make sure you're not downloading crap; ie ActiveX controls that look fishy or spyware.

LOL, ya... If you insist on going to questionable sites and downloading crap, Firefox is a must but won't save you.

I used to run Firefox, but I don't need it any more. Why? I don't put myself into positions where I'll be endangered. I only view plain text e-mail from a web based e-mail browser. I use both a router firewall and XP firewall. I keep my security software up to date and use it.

Zero viuses/trojans/hijacks in the last 2 years.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
This could be the result of spyware or a virus, but it could also simply be a matter of IE getting corrupted. Have you tried a repair on IE thru ad/remove programs? Also, you could schedule a disk check to verify integrity of files. If these fail, you could try a Windows repair with your install disk, as it may be corruption in Windows beyond just IE.

olie

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
hi guys, thanks for all your help. Have run spyware and mcaffee stuff and all ok there. The other thing is that when i try to open an email in outlook that contains pictures, like junk mail, credit cards and stuff, outlook just closes. Every single time, you open it and closes straight away, you open it it closes straight away. You have to open it and try and delete the email so quick before it crashes other wise it gets stuck in a loop.

On my regular emails it's fine. This started happening at exactly the same time as iexplorer wouldn't work. i haven't tried downloading firefox yet but i will. But if it's a problem with the memory (the image emails not loading) then surely this won't fix the problem?

I don't know....

It may or may not be due to memory. I'm still thinking it's possible you've been infected with something... have you made sure your McAffee definitions were always fully up-to-date?

I would suggest running an online scanner (such as Panda's Activescan) to make doubly sure you don't have a virus. What did you use to scan for spyware?