shadowjagans

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
when vista comes out, i was wondering if one of my older comps can handle it, if not maybe i'll jus buy one of my old comps a second hand vga, though i was thinking; wat is the lowest-end card to b used for windows vista?

sturm

Splendid
depends on how much eye-candy you want to have with vista.
The more eye candy the higher end card you will need.
If you run it with no eye candy you will probably get by with a fairly low end card.
Do some googling on vista which should give you some specs on whats needed for what.

TerryF

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
If you are going for Vista, then you must be going for the eye candy because there isn't much else compelling about it! You'll need something like a Radeon X300 with 128MB memory minimum for Vista. The better the card, the better it will perform.

To give you an idea...

I've tried Vista beta on several PCs. An integrated Intel GMA900 (AGP) was very poor. An integrated Intel GMA950 (PCIE) was barely acceptable (Office 12 beta struggled with this one too). An AGP Radeon 9550SE (256MB) was just bordering the acceptable.

I would aim for something better than the Radeon 9550 or X300 for Vista.

Terry

duke8989

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
from experince with graphics and vista , dude your gonna need a really good 256mb graphics card to see vista areo glass well. A good 128 will do you fine, but you cant run old PCI , it would have to be a AGPx8 atleast. I would definately believe running a radeon x1000 because of the nice avivo. This would put you in the Safe range with vista. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102666
at 100 bucks is it worth it, well thats your choice. And its kinda useless after beacuse no PC's of today use AGP nor have the option to. You might be able to slide by with a old radeon 9600. But thats 1600 is 100 bucks and a decent radeon 9600 is proabably 85. Unfourtuneately they charge more for AGP now.

sailer

Splendid
I suppose the answer really depends on knowing the specs on your machine. After all, even if you got a Vista compliant video card, if the rest of the equipment won't do Vista, then the card won't help.