Sign in with
Your question

LAN question, need to know for college

Last response: in Networking
February 3, 2007 9:35:24 PM

I'm building a desktop for college next september.

I checked with my college about internet access, and they say I will need an ethernet card to connect to their internet.

The motherboard I'm buying has a gigabit LAN port, would that work? Or do I need to buy an ethernet card?

My home setup is a cable modem, connected with one of those cables with the telephone end *I don't know what they're called, but here's a link to what they look like http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150...* to my router. And my router has another one of those cables connected to my computer. Whenever my router gives me trouble I just disconnect it and connect the modem directly to my computer with the cable. So I don't know if my LAN port is an ethernet port or not.

To sum it up, would onboard gigabit LAN work for my position, or do I need to go out and buy an ethernet card? I think the college uses highspeed.

I would test it out myself, but I haven't built the computer yet and it won't be until spring. I'm just planning everything out a head of time :lol: 

More about : lan question college

February 4, 2007 5:54:46 PM

Quote:
I checked with my college about internet access, and they say I will need an ethernet card to connect to their internet.

The motherboard I'm buying has a gigabit LAN port, would that work?
Yes.
Quote:
My home setup is a cable modem, connected with one of those cables with the telephone end *I don't know what they're called, but here's a link to what they look like http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150...* to my router. And my router has another one of those cables connected to my computer. Whenever my router gives me trouble I just disconnect it and connect the modem directly to my computer with the cable. So I don't know if my LAN port is an ethernet port or not.
While the cable connector might LOOK like a telephone connector, it isn't... it is larger. Ethernet uses an RJ-45 connector; your telephone uses an RJ-11.
February 6, 2007 4:14:43 PM

i second that... Yes it will work fine... If you are living in the Dorms i HIGHLY recommend that you invest in a good software or hardware firewall. Unless you like your computer\files screwed with.

Good luck

~Cheers
February 6, 2007 8:25:28 PM

Thank you for the answers, yes I am living in a dorm *or will be

I will get a secure firewall. Thanks
:) 
!