April 1, 2007 10:26:45 PM

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-e
CPU: AMD 3800+
PSU: Antec Truepower 2.0 550w
Video: Evga 7900gt
Ram: 2gb Corsair XMS
HD: WD 250gb Caviar

First off, i dont know a lot about troubleshooting problems with computers, only really how to build them and about hardware.

OK, I went on vacation about a week ago and shut down my computer like normal. When i get home to boot up it just freezes at my motherboards splash screen. I cant press "DEL" to get into the bios or any other keys for that matter. All of my case fans light up and everything seems normal except it wont boot past this screen. It makes no beeping noises and the HD sounds like it is spinning.

So far i have tried to only have my MB, ram, CPU, and Videocard in but it still wont get past the motherboard splash screen. I have also tried to juggle around my ram with only having one stick in at a time and still no luck.

I think that it might be either my PSU or motherboard but i have no other computer to test out the hardware on.

I dont know how to reset the cmos because i cant get the battery to be removed and i cant find the jumpers for this, so if you know this motherboard and can help me then that would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Remember, if you think i should do something please explain how to do it before hand.

Thanks Again.
April 1, 2007 10:35:03 PM

Quote:
PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-e
CPU: AMD 3800+
PSU: Antec Truepower 2.0 550w
Video: Evga 7900gt
Ram: 2gb Corsair XMS
HD: WD 250gb Caviar

First off, i dont know a lot about troubleshooting problems with computers, only really how to build them and about hardware.

OK, I went on vacation about a week ago and shut down my computer like normal. When i get home to boot up it just freezes at my motherboards splash screen. I cant press "DEL" to get into the bios or any other keys for that matter. All of my case fans light up and everything seems normal except it wont boot past this screen. It makes no beeping noises and the HD sounds like it is spinning.

So far i have tried to only have my MB, ram, CPU, and Videocard in but it still wont get past the motherboard splash screen. I have also tried to juggle around my ram with only having one stick in at a time and still no luck.

I think that it might be either my PSU or motherboard but i have no other computer to test out the hardware on.

I dont know how to reset the cmos because i cant get the battery to be removed and i cant find the jumpers for this, so if you know this motherboard and can help me then that would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Remember, if you think i should do something please explain how to do it before hand.

Thanks Again.

Be sure the MB is hooked to a speaker. Remove the RAM and boot the system. If the MB does not beep with an error code recognizing there is no RAM in the system, you likely have a bad MB.
Related resources
April 1, 2007 11:13:00 PM

THANKS!
I posted somewhere else and they told me to reset the cmos but i couldnt figure out how. But i finally got it! thanks for all your help!
April 1, 2007 11:25:12 PM

Quote:
THANKS!
I posted somewhere else and they told me to reset the cmos but i couldnt figure out how. But i finally got it! thanks for all your help!

I hate mysteries, did it fix the problem? :) 
April 2, 2007 12:35:16 AM

yes it fixed the problem, but im afraid to shutdown again! :) 
September 12, 2010 3:53:27 AM

It may not be this, but I ran into the same problem where it would freeze at the motherboard splash screen and I had just been re-configuring some hard drives, so I unplugged them all and it got past the splash screen, plugged one in at a time and restarted, found the culprit, changed the Sata cable and then it worked the first time after that. It's a long shot, but sometimes if the cables are bent too tight around corners, or if it has a slight defect which does happen, try that next time. Just another troubleshooting tip.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2010 12:00:40 AM

My sister's computer was hanging at the same place after a storm knocked it out, I got it up and running just by unplugging all the USB stuff before booting.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 7:30:01 AM

Quote:
My sister's computer was hanging at the same place after a storm knocked it out, I got it up and running just by unplugging all the USB stuff before booting.

dude best tip ever :D  thx so much!
April 9, 2011 1:18:53 PM

Quote:

Absoloutely, worked like a charm
July 16, 2011 2:09:48 AM

Thank you so much for "uplug all the USB stuff solution. I'm sure you saved me much money and time in a repair shop.
August 18, 2011 9:04:55 PM

mr "unplug USB stuff" - I salute you!
thanks for a great tip.
June 5, 2012 11:12:37 PM

Quote:

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much
January 1, 2013 7:10:30 AM

Was sitting on the splash screen and i thought i had broke my brand new pc. I take all the USB's out and WAZAM. All fixed :)  Thanks for the help!
January 15, 2013 8:19:15 PM

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my thanks to it and describe the similar problem I had:

Mine was hanging on the motherboard screen for about 45 seconds or so but then would go through the rest of the boot sequence. however when it reached the loading operating system screen [before windows actually starts to load] it would stop and go no further roughly 6 out of 7 times. if it got past this stage it worked flawlessly.

unplugging all non essential usb devices solved my problem entirely, mobo screen is back down to roughly 5 seconds and windows always boots.

Thank you.
July 28, 2013 8:07:28 AM

Anonymous said:

this worked for me, thanks!!
August 8, 2013 9:22:40 PM

I was having the same issue with it hanging at POST screen, unplugged the USB hub and it worked fine again. I narrowed it down after that to a USB external drive I had plugged in that wasn't recognising in windows when I last had it working, removed that and all works fine with everything else plugged in. Thankyou so much to the "unplug all the usb" poster, I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong, you saved me big time!!!!!! :D 
!