Sign in with
Your question

Help! New system I just built not wanting to work...Asus P5B

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2007 10:34:20 PM

Hey there, I just wanted to see if anyone here had any insight as to what might be going wrong with the system I just built. It's been about 2 years or so since I built my last system and I never ran into any problems like this. It's actually a system I'm putting together for a friend, but thats besides the point. Anyways, I have an Asus P5B motherboard and a SATA HDD and SATA CDRom/DVDRom, and while the BIOS lists them both in the correct channels I cannot seem to boot from my windows xp cd. I have set the option in the BIOS to boot from cdrom drive first, but this still does not work, every time I start it up the cdrom starts spinning and all I get is a blank screen. Is there some BIOS options I should be checking also or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
April 1, 2007 10:44:47 PM

Have you tried a different cable or connector? You can download 6 Floppy XP start up disks and try to install XP from these. At least you'll see if the computer is recognizing the DVD, i.e., is it just a boot problem or is the DVD not being recognized.
April 1, 2007 10:50:53 PM

Well, I hooked up an IDE cd/dvd rom drive and the same thing happened, and I also tried the disc in another computer and it works there. Its just weird that it recognizes it in the BIOS but then nothing happens.
Related resources
April 1, 2007 11:21:40 PM

I'd check any DVD settings in the BIOS. If nothing there, while a pain, I'd try the install Floppies. It sounds like for what ever reason, the computer is recognizing the start up files on the Disk.
April 1, 2007 11:37:13 PM

Asus has some pretty standard bios setups, but it can be a little tricky. ther are two ploaces to look in the BOOT menu on the BIOS. Check Boot settings AND boot device priority. Make sure the CD is on the top of the list. I have heard that SATA CDroms are 'picky' BUT just keep trying. check the cable connections also.

Hope you get it up
April 2, 2007 12:09:28 AM

there are 2 settings in here that im not quite sure about, Under Boot Settings -> the AddOn ROM display mode and the Interrupt 19 Capture. Also under Advanced -> Onboard devices configuration -> the JMicron SATA/PATA Controller and SATA Controller mode. Any info regarding what these do and what to set them as would be great.
April 2, 2007 12:10:52 AM

Also should I have the SATA Configuration set to IDE or AHCI. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what AHCI is.
!