450$ rig my friend wants to sell me: a good deal?

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I already have a P4 2.8Ghz with 1GB of ram and an AGP X800XL video card, but it's the "family computer" and it gets crowded, so I would like to have my own computer in my room.

Of course I could go out and buy a full system for cheap, I tried a couple scenarios but it always comes out at more than 1000$ (I need all new peripherals) and I don't have that kind of money.

Now my friend is buying a new system for himself and wants to sell me his old computer, including 19" LCD monitor, for 450$. It's an A64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM, an FX5200 or 5700. I would still have to buy speakers, a router and a wireless network card, so the total is probably more like 650$ (I want good speakers).

I'm a gamer at heart and if I get any sort of comfortable money in the bank I'll upgrade to something much better, but that won't be before a while (in 2 years maybe) and in the meantime I'm wondering if for that price it would be a good idea to buy his computer.

What do you think?

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
you could get a nice system for around $500 at newegg.com, the x2 3600 is going for around $69 with the combo. it's like about $133 but memory is cheap and you could get a better video card pci-e. i mean you can make a nice system for $500-600 how ever you want to go about it. and if its 754 or 939 they are dead. you can build a nice x2 3600 and 1gb ddr2 800 and 160gb hdd and a nice video card. i just built a nice system if you see my spec's below. i spent around $550 or so

Mondoman

Splendid
Unfortunately, given your extremely limited budget, you will have to choose between the LCD monitor and gaming performance. You can buy a used 19" CRT monitor with better quality and resolution than the LCD monitor off of craigslist for $25; your friend's used LCD monitor might be worth $100, and a new 19" LCD will run you around $190.

If you shop *patiently* and very carefully, you should be able to get a case and decent power supply for around $75 total (on sale/after rebate). Say $70 for 1GB RAM. $30 for a DVD-R/W drive. $70 for a 250GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA hard drive. $75 for a 7600GS PCIExpress video card.
Total so far w/CRT: $345 or so, leaving $105 for CPU+MB.
$60 for a good-quality used nForce4 socket 939 MB on ebay.
$50 for an Athlon64 3400+ Venice socket 939 CPU OEM
$10 for a CPU cooler

Total: $465 (I'm over by $15, but at least shipping is included)

markish

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
i wouldnt do it if i were you especially if you are a gamer that video card with his system is a very dated card and the one in your house is far better then it. you could build one yourself for as much as his and be about 10x better. those amd's are pretty cheap now off of newegg also.

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I already have a P4 2.8Ghz with 1GB of ram and an AGP X800XL video card, but it's the "family computer" and it gets crowded, so I would like to have my own computer in my room.

Of course I could go out and buy a full system for cheap, I tried a couple scenarios but it always comes out at more than 1000$ (I need all new peripherals) and I don't have that kind of money.

Now my friend is buying a new system for himself and wants to sell me his old computer, including 19" LCD monitor, for 450$. It's an A64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM, an FX5200 or 5700. I would still have to buy speakers, a router and a wireless network card, so the total is probably more like 650$ (I want good speakers).

I'm a gamer at heart and if I get any sort of comfortable money in the bank I'll upgrade to something much better, but that won't be before a while (in 2 years maybe) and in the meantime I'm wondering if for that price it would be a good idea to buy his computer.

What do you think?

You stated that the "family computer" has the better video card?? well then why not put it in your "gaming computer",,assuming of course,,that the "fc" doesn't see much gaming ,short term solution ??,,for now....:))

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Soon after posting my original question I made my mind and decided to not take it, considering that I'm not sure if I'll be forced to buy a laptop for university, and that in that case the desktop PC would just be a waste of money. All of your comments have been negative about that deal so I feel I made the right choice. I would like to answer to what you suggested individually but I don't have the time, but thanks to all I read your comments very carefully and took all of them in consideration.

TRENDING THREADS