LG LST-3410A: Can I use it?

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 18, 2004 12:14:13 AM

I have HD cable service from TWC which comes through a SA 3100HD cable
box. My standard programming goes from the cable box via coax cable
into a ReplayTV 50480, then into my Onkyo receiver, and into my Sony
Plasma TV via s-video. HD programming goes from the Cable box into the
receiver via component video, then into one of two component video ports
on the TV.

I'd like to incorporate a HD DVR into my video system, preferably
without paying an additional monthly fee for it (TWCNYC supposedly won't
have a model available until the end of the year anyway). I'm
considering the LG LST-3410A, and would like some advice on whether I
can incorporate it into the system:

1. Can I assume that the component video from the cable box could be fed
into the LST-3410A for capture, then played back through the LST
component out port to the TV?

2. Can I use the LST's program guide to control the cable box through an
IR blaster?

3. How is the Program guide updated? I'm currently updating my RTV
through an ethernet connection to my DSL service.

4. Are there restrictions on what HD programs can be recorded? I have
HBO, Discovery, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS.

5. How is the resolution quality during playback?

Thanks for your help.

More about : lst 3410a

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 7:20:42 PM

"Chris Bastian" <cbastian@acedsl.com> wrote in message
>I have HD cable service from TWC which comes through a SA 3100HD cable
> box. My standard programming goes from the cable box via coax cable
> into a ReplayTV 50480, then into my Onkyo receiver, and into my Sony
> Plasma TV via s-video. HD programming goes from the Cable box into the
> receiver via component video, then into one of two component video ports
> on the TV.
>
> I'd like to incorporate a HD DVR into my video system, preferably
> without paying an additional monthly fee for it (TWCNYC supposedly won't
> have a model available until the end of the year anyway). I'm
> considering the LG LST-3410A, and would like some advice on whether I
> can incorporate it into the system:
>
> 1. Can I assume that the component video from the cable box could be fed
> into the LST-3410A for capture, then played back through the LST
> component out port to the TV?

No, the LST-3410A doesn't have a component input.

It might be possible to feed the cable directly into the 3410A and have it
tune and record the HD channels. HBO and Discovery might be encrypted,
however.

Does your cable box have a Firewire output (IEEE 1394)? If so you might be
able to use that for recording.
I believe there is a new (FCC?) requirement that HD cable boxes have a
Firewire output for recording/time shifting. There have been complaints
that this is not happening.

> 2. Can I use the LST's program guide to control the cable box through an
> IR blaster?
>
> 3. How is the Program guide updated? I'm currently updating my RTV
> through an ethernet connection to my DSL service.
>
> 4. Are there restrictions on what HD programs can be recorded? I have
> HBO, Discovery, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS.
>
> 5. How is the resolution quality during playback?
>
> Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 9:35:16 PM

Chris Bastian <cbastian@acedsl.com> wrote:

>I have HD cable service from TWC which comes through a SA 3100HD cable
>box. My standard programming goes from the cable box via coax cable
>into a ReplayTV 50480, then into my Onkyo receiver, and into my Sony
>Plasma TV via s-video. HD programming goes from the Cable box into the
>receiver via component video, then into one of two component video ports
>on the TV.
>
>I'd like to incorporate a HD DVR into my video system, preferably
>without paying an additional monthly fee for it (TWCNYC supposedly won't
>have a model available until the end of the year anyway). I'm
>considering the LG LST-3410A, and would like some advice on whether I
>can incorporate it into the system:

The short answer is that it won't do what you want it to do, because
it only receives OTA and *unscrambled* cable. Just about everything
on cable is scrambled or soon will be, except their refeed of local
broadcast stations.

>1. Can I assume that the component video from the cable box could be fed
>into the LST-3410A for capture, then played back through the LST
>component out port to the TV?

No. There is no component input on the 3410A. There are two
composite inputs (not even S-Video) and IEEE-1394. The latter lets
you ship HD in and out of the box, but only with certain makes and
models of D-VHS recorders. Reportedly it works well with the JVC
HM-DH30000U (commonly called the 30K), but only partially with its
replacement, the 40K.

>2. Can I use the LST's program guide to control the cable box through an
>IR blaster?

Yes. You tell the 3410A that you have a cable box and what type, and
you connect the composite out from the cable box to the AV1 input of
the LG. But that limits you to NTSC quality from cable. BTW, that is
the *only* way to make timer recordings from an AV input; in one of
LG's bone-headed design decisions, you can't set a timer to record
from an AV input, although you can do an immediate record.

When I fed my DirecTV receiver through it I saw some blotchy artifacts
in the darker areas. Of course the DirecTV receiver is doing a D/A
conversion and the LG is doing an A/D, so you'd expect some
degradation.

>3. How is the Program guide updated? I'm currently updating my RTV
>through an ethernet connection to my DSL service.

All reports are that the guide is updated *only* from information in
the Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) of some analog broadcast
stations. If you tell the LG that you have cable, it will look for
analog only from cable, not an OTA antenna. And some cable companies,
including Time Warner, may strip out the data in the VBI. A few years
ago, Gemstar, which does the guide, sued TW over that issue and lost.
Then they did a deal with TW. Sometimes I can get the guide via
cable, sometimes not. I can always get it OTA, but that just lists
the broadcast channels. When analog broadcasts stop I presume the
guide won't work anymore. But you can also set timers using VCR Plus
codes or just give start and end times and the channel.

You'll probably find the guide isn't complete for the cable channels
you get and maybe not even for the broadcast channels. Mine doesn't
list the local UPN station, but it does list a distant one which I
remap to the local channel. At least the network listings are usually
right. The local PBS station's HD feed isn't listed (it's just a
pass-through of PBS-HD) so I remapped a distant station's listing,
which is right some of the time.

It's unfortunate that the guide can't be updated over the Internet,
since I know the service is available (ATI tuner cards use it).

>4. Are there restrictions on what HD programs can be recorded? I have
>HBO, Discovery, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS.

It may honor a do-not-record flag, but I haven't encountered that.
But as noted above, you probably can't get HBO and Discovery in HD on
this box. You can feed cable directly to the LG's cable input (not
through the cable box) and have the LG scan for what's available.
You'll probably find duplicates of some of the local digital
broadcasts. In my area I also get the local Fox affiliate's HD feed,
even though they aren't broadcasting in digital yet. Additionally you
may get some promo and tutorial channels. If you get anything else
you might actually want to watch, count yourself lucky, don't
advertise it and don't expect it to last.

>5. How is the resolution quality during playback?

Excellent. I have nothing to compare it with, but many with
experience with other HD receivers say it's at least as good and often
better. Playback of HD is the same as what came in.

>Thanks for your help.

Now some things you didn't ask about. There is a long thread
(currently 86 pages) about the LST-3410A on AVSForum. Start here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

Many users have had many problems with this model, mostly to do with
the guide and maybe heat. There's no fan, although it was designed
for one (there's a fan cutout at the back) and some users have added
fans. I'm glad I bought mine before I read it, because it would have
scared me away and I haven't had nearly the problems others have
reported. I use it mostly for OTA; if it weren't for RoadRunner I
wouldn't have cable at all. Most of my complaints are over design
shortcomings such as the timer record problem above, the inability to
play one show while recording another or even to time-shift the same
show unless you start it with the time-shift button, and the lack of
simultaneous HD and composite outputs.

You can download the complete user manual here:

http://us.lgservice.com/jsp/common/download.jsp?DOC_ID=...

That should be one line, of course.

Finally, you might want to wait for an HD receiver/recorder with a
CableCard slot. Sony and Mitsubishi have announced them but I don't
think either is shipping yet. You'll have to rent a CableCard from
your cable company, but that should be under $2.00/mo. That will give
you all the cable channels you're subscribed to, but not on-demand or
other interactive (two-way) programming, at least not at first.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
!