Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linux?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
April 27, 2006 11:23:48 AM

ok im totally noob, wats linux? is it better than windows xp?

More about : linux

April 27, 2006 2:42:32 PM

Wow I see a very long explaintion post comeing from this, most likely by Linux_0.

For starters Linux is an Open Source operating system. Open Source meens that the source code of the software is made avialbe to the public, and is free of charge.

Heres the link to Wiki's page on Linux.

As far as Linux being better then Win XP I can't realy say. They both have there strong points and weakness.

Hopefully Linux_0 will be along latter to help explain Linux better than I.
April 27, 2006 3:56:22 PM

i've seen the linux' screenshots and all, they look totally different from windows xp and stuff, can linux support wat win xp supports? such things like games (F.E.A.R., CSS, HL2) or programs such as windows media player, coz if it doesnt play music then ---> O_O, if it doesnt support windows media player then how do u play music on a linux?
Related resources
April 27, 2006 4:56:42 PM

Quote:
can linux support wat win xp supports? such things like games (F.E.A.R., CSS, HL2)


With suport by Wine, or another such interperter libaries(murdered that word), it's possible to suport a wide viarty of windoze based programs as I understand it.

Quote:
if it doesnt support windows media player then how do u play music on a linux?


Well there are several options on how to play music on a Linux box, the same way there are several options to play music on a Windows box.

I can't realy give you much informations as I've been useing Linux for about ohh a little over a week.
a b 5 Linux
April 28, 2006 5:36:02 PM

Quote:
ok im totally noob, wats linux? is it better than windows xp?



Linux is a legally free and open source operating system.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Quote:

Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification compliance.

It has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged Unix, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries, demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory management, and multistack networking including IPv4 and IPv6.

Although originally developed first for 32-bit x86-based PCs (386 or higher), today Linux also runs on (at least) the Compaq Alpha AXP, Sun SPARC and UltraSPARC, Motorola 68000, PowerPC, PowerPC64, ARM, Hitachi SuperH, IBM S/390, MIPS, HP PA-RISC, Intel IA-64, DEC VAX, AMD x86-64, AXIS CRIS, and Renesas M32R architectures.

Linux is easily portable to most general-purpose 32- or 64-bit architectures as long as they have a paged memory management unit (PMMU) and a port of the GNU C compiler (gcc) (part of The GNU Compiler Collection, GCC). Linux has also been ported to a number of architectures without a PMMU, although functionality is then obviously somewhat limited. See the µClinux project for more info.




Linux is better than windoze in many respects.
a b 5 Linux
April 29, 2006 6:27:48 PM

Quote:
i've seen the linux' screenshots and all, they look totally different from windows xp and stuff, can linux support wat win xp supports? such things like games (F.E.A.R., CSS, HL2) or programs such as windows media player, coz if it doesnt play music then ---> O_O, if it doesnt support windows media player then how do u play music on a linux?



Games are a little tricky, more on that later.

Audio and Video is no problem, Linux offers some excellent Audio and Video players like MPlayer, Totem, xmms, and many others.

Linux supports virtually all audio and video formats.






Some Linux distributions do not come with MPlayer or MP3 support by default for legal reasons but you can install MPlayer and MP3 support VERY VERY easily.

Linux also makes an AWESOME DVR with MythTV or other similar programs.

http://mythtv.org/




Now as far as games are concerned you can run windoze games and applications with WINE, Cedega, VMWare, QEMU, DOSBOX, etc. your mileage will vary.

But native Linux will always work best.
April 30, 2006 3:03:09 PM

thnx for the screenies and great explanation
a b 5 Linux
April 30, 2006 6:35:28 PM

Quote:
thnx for the screenies and great explanation



np :-D

Let me know if you want to try a Live CD or DVD or a distro and I'll hook you up with the download links :-D
May 2, 2006 1:59:36 PM

Quote:


Linux is better than windoze in many respects.


and worse than BSD in more :tongue:

Seriously though it is worthwhile trying out. I recently recommended ubuntu linux (www.ubuntu.com) to some friends after some advice gained here (thanks linux_o and mitch) and they are really happy.
a b 5 Linux
May 2, 2006 9:01:36 PM

Quote:


Linux is better than windoze in many respects.


and worse than BSD in more :tongue:

Seriously though it is worthwhile trying out. I recently recommended ubuntu linux (www.ubuntu.com) to some friends after some advice gained here (thanks linux_o and mitch) and they are really happy.


If it's Unix and it works, it's kewl in my book.

Linux and BSD are both great if used properly.

:-D
May 3, 2006 9:50:42 AM

Quote:


If it's Unix and it works, it's kewl in my book.

Linux and BSD are both great if used properly.

:-D


Actually XP is not so bad if administered properly. :roll: (How many nix admins do you know that play around in root?? 8) )

Puts on flame proof suit and ducks.
a b 5 Linux
May 3, 2006 9:18:13 PM

Quote:


If it's Unix and it works, it's kewl in my book.

Linux and BSD are both great if used properly.

:-D


Actually XP is not so bad if administered properly. :roll: (How many nix admins do you know that play around in root?? 8) )

Puts on flame proof suit and ducks.


http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%...


In other news, Vista may get delayed again.

Interesting.
May 3, 2006 9:37:03 PM

Quote:


If it's Unix and it works, it's kewl in my book.

Linux and BSD are both great if used properly.

:-D


Actually XP is not so bad if administered properly. :roll: (How many nix admins do you know that play around in root?? 8) )

Puts on flame proof suit and ducks.


http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%...


In other news, Vista may get delayed again.

Interesting.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Saying Vista may get delayed agian is like saying that Oxygen is good for you. Its agiven. :wink:

Oh and 5pts to me for:
Quote:
Wow I see a very long explaintion post comeing from this, most likely by Linux_0.

looks like I was right.
a b 5 Linux
May 4, 2006 12:23:48 AM

You were correct oh wise one :-D

Semper Fi Carry^H^H^H^H^H Linux on
May 4, 2006 1:24:07 PM

Quote:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%...


In other news, Vista may get delayed again.

Interesting.


Even if I am not MS’s no 1 fan I have to admit that that article is a little(understatement) overhand. I thought that J. Dvorak was one of the top reporters in the PC world. Guess I was wrong. He should try posting his article in /.

Sure there is a lot that is wrong with MS (or any other company) but man he takes the cake. For example no 5 X360: He blames MS for not being able to predict an unforeseen demand. Call me dumb but how is this bad for MS ???? They sold many more x-boxes than they were planning on.
a b 5 Linux
May 4, 2006 6:31:07 PM

Quote:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%...


In other news, Vista may get delayed again.

Interesting.


Even if I am not MS’s no 1 fan I have to admit that that article is a little(understatement) overhand. I thought that J. Dvorak was one of the top reporters in the PC world. Guess I was wrong. He should try posting his article in /.

Sure there is a lot that is wrong with MS (or any other company) but man he takes the cake. For example no 5 X360: He blames MS for not being able to predict an unforeseen demand. Call me dumb but how is this bad for MS ???? They sold many more x-boxes than they were planning on.


I didn't say I agreed with him, I just thought it was a semi-interesting read.

I really don't know what to make of the author... or his statements.

The fact is tho, Linux and BSD are getting better every release :-D
May 5, 2006 10:27:28 AM

What bothers me are these MS==Evil posts. 8O I can understand it coming from a linux fanboy but not from one of the more experienced journalists in the IT sector. True they(ms) are a pain in a certain anatomical area but they dont deserve half they crap they keep on getting. Just see what google has been complaining about these last few days. 8O Makes me (almost) feel sorry for MS. :oops: 

You are right about them getting better. Actually for average destop applications (word processing, web browsing) linux is actually the better choice.
Now if only someone could come up with native directx support in linux :twisted: (or get God (Mr. Gates) to switch sides and use his marketing muscle for linux) ......................................
a b 5 Linux
May 5, 2006 10:41:05 AM

Quote:
What bothers me are these MS==Evil posts. 8O I can understand it coming from a linux fanboy but not from one of the more experienced journalists in the IT sector. True they(ms) are a pain in a certain anatomical area but they dont deserve half they crap they keep on getting. Just see what google has been complaining about these last few days. 8O Makes me (almost) feel sorry for MS. :oops: 

You are right about them getting better. Actually for average destop applications (word processing, web browsing) linux is actually the better choice.
Now if only someone could come up with native directx support in linux :twisted: (or get God (Mr. Gates) to switch sides and use his marketing muscle for linux) ......................................



I worship Tux the almighty myself ;-)


j/k j/k :lol:  :lol: 
!