andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Ok, so, my girlfriend's computer has been shutting itself down at random for the last 3 weeks or so. It used to be that it'd stay on for a day or two, then shut down, apparently now it takes about 5 hours. Then again, last week she said it stayed on for 2 and a half days. Since it just appeared to be turning off, I assumed "Power supply failure," especially since I knew it had a crap-tacular PSU in it from when the previous boytoy transferred it over from the original HP case.

So, today I replaced the old supply (it was ridiculous, weighed about as much as a 20oz of pop) with one from my old comp. The replacement is solid, I never had a problem with it, I just upgraded and needed more juice. Plugged it in, ran fine from the time I put it in this morning. I got a call 20 minutes ago, and the thing shut down again. At this point, I'm out of ideas, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
Athalon 2800+ @1.8 Ghz
512 Kb PC3200
80GB Caviar
OLD, tiny AGP Graphics card
CD Drive
Floppy Drive
4 60mm case fans

She's had parts of it for almost 5 years and got a couple things replaced 2 years ago, but it's a word processing/web browsing/emailing machine, so it doesn't work all THAT hard.

The new power supply is a 350 watt (according to the PSU calc that's more than enough) that came out of my Dell. Worked great for about 8 months, then I replaced it because I put in a new graphics board.

I know that sometimes the RAM can be a problem, but she's had this stick for 3 years and it's worked fine. Like I said, any and all help is greatly appreciated......I'll even give you credit for it instead of keeping it all for myself :wink:

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Hmm.....alright, thanks mpilch, I'll get that done as soon as I can. Hopefully that'll fix things, and I won't have to come screamingback with more questions.

neo_weapon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
it could be really anything. i had this exact same problem for the past 5 months and i finally got it fixed this weekend (haven't had time to fix it). But you definitely want to try out memtest.

Basically, when you have a problem like this, you want to do everything you can before you have to start replacing hardware. So do this:

-run memtest
-run virus scans, try different virus scans
-run hard drive diagnosis tools. check your hard drive website to see if they have any.

if all of those are running fine, now is time to start uninstalling hardware

-uninstall everything except stuff needed to run the computer adequately, i.e. mobo, psu, cpu...etc.
-now see if the computer crashes.

-if it does, you narrowed it down to the cpu, mobo and psu.

I replaced my mobo and my computer works with no random shutdown ever since.

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
So, the original post is from quite a while ago, but life gets in the way of fixing stuff sometimes. I finally got the chance to run Memtest on the machine, and it won't get through the entire battery of tests...typically dies sometime around test 7, which doesn't mean much, I don't think. She says that over the last 20 days there has been periods where it'll run for 30 minutes at a time, and there were a couple points where it ran for 3 days straight.

At this point, I'm assuming the memory is the culprit, but if anyone has any other recommendations, that'd be great.

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
So, the original post is from quite a while ago, but life gets in the way of fixing stuff sometimes. I finally got the chance to run Memtest on the machine, and it won't get through the entire battery of tests...typically dies sometime around test 7, which doesn't mean much, I don't think. She says that over the last 20 days there has been periods where it'll run for 30 minutes at a time, and there were a couple points where it ran for 3 days straight.

At this point, I'm assuming the memory is the culprit, but if anyone has any other recommendations, that'd be great.