Adobe 7.0 Pro (acrobat), XP, Lexmark X7170 - war is on...

brettmansdorf

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
OK - I am "somewhat" familar with a PC - have a p4/1gb/numerous drives, and a beloved lexmark x7170 which came with newsoft software and some fax software. I also use ringcentral for phone and fax.... Stage is set.

I dust off the wallet and purchase 7.0pro... I install - it forces me to uninstall 6.0 (which worked fine). I do so and get the dreaded error 20225 (ref adobe site for WIN/Acrobat). I follow their suggestions online - some 13 steps, including uninstalling every printer and software on the system... Still 20225 error (basically won't create the PDF printer). I tried unistalling 7.0 and going back to 6.0 - and still get the error...

When I chose to give up for a while and put the fax software back on - it too failed! both lexmark and ringcentral's. So I spend the next two days on the support waitlines...

I call adobe - they blame it on lexmark and them not unistalling completely. I call Lexmark - they blame it on XP not functioning correctly. I call Microsoft - they blame it on Adobe.

So I start "HiJacking" and didn't get anywhere. I have AVG (which I tried with it running and shutdown). I have Adaware and Ewido - no issues there...

Next, after waiting hours on the phone lines only to get fingers pionted at someone else... I find that there is a port (printers and fax, FILE, SERVER PROPERTIES, and under the PORTS tab, I find the darned Fax Lexmark 7100 port... try to delete and it errors - not supported...

Next I "look" around via regedit (I know I don't belong here)...

This is what I find...
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then under SOFTWARE & FaxMan7100SeriesPorts I find Fax Lexmark 7100 Series and under it, Application... The REG_SZ is a reference to C:pro...lxbxFax.exe
HOWEVER this file and folder is no longer there (GONE).

under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then under SYSTEM then under CurrentControlSet then under Control, then under Print, then under Monitors ... What I "think" is the culprit - under Fax Lexmark 7100 Series Port Resides the (defaul) REG_SZ (value not set), but below it is Driver REG_SZ LXBXPMON.DLL

Is this my problem with not being able to delete the Fax Lexmark 7100 port (the second entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and SYSTEM?

Can I simply delete this?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You could try that... just back up the registry first.

Might I suggest some utility like Registry Mechanic? If you have uninstalled things, a program like this may pick up remaining keys that need deleting.

Have you looked for running processes? Perhaps you still have something running in the background that is interfering.

Ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager and select the processes tab. Google anything you are not sure of... there are several process libraries on the internet that will tell you what a given process does.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
When you did the uninstall, did you use the disk that came with the Lexmark? Don't know about Lexmark but HP even has a program you can download and use to unintall an all in one. If this is an all in one, which it sounds like, they seem to be really hard to uninstall because of the registry and so it's best to use the uninstall utility that comes with the machine rather than theWindows Add/Remove