maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Since last night, I have been getting a pop up error about svchost.exe. I dont know why it is acting up all of sudden. Maybe I need to install some updates or something. I was wondering if it was something I did. I download BitComet, I wonder if that had something to do with it. I was wondering if any of your techies out there could help me?

Since last night, I have been getting a pop up error about svchost.exe. I dont know why it is acting up all of sudden. Maybe I need to install some updates or something. I was wondering if it was something I did. I download BitComet, I wonder if that had something to do with it. I was wondering if any of your techies out there could help me?

svchost is a core part of windows. It's also very vulnerable to viruses.

You downloaded BitCommet. My guess is either the download was infected, or you downloaded something right after that was infected.

As to windows updates.... if you have to ask you probably need them. ALL of the critical ones.

You need to make sure your virus scanner is up to date and run it. You need to download SpyBot Search and Destroy, and LavaSoft AdAware and run those, making sure to update them with the latest definitions before scanning.

You need to visit the windows update site and get everything it tells you to get.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice, I ran Window update and there was a critical update for exactly what I needed. I should have check their first. I usually do but I thought I should check the forums for advice.