I cant get my DS3 rev 3.3 over 370FSB.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I was hoping to run my DS3 at or above 400fsb. I hear alot of others running this much higher.

I have a DS3 rev 3.3
E4300 w/ Scythe Ninja
Patriot Extreme DDR800 4-4-4-12
X1950XT
Seasonic S12 600W

I have good case ventilation. Including a fan for the NB keeping it only warm to the touch.

No matter what multiplier I run the CPU I cant get this to boot at over 370fsb. Is this a limit to the rev 3.3 board or am I just too noob.

This settup WILL run 9x333 for 3.0Ghz (Orthos and Memtest86 stable all day) but it wont run 8x375 for 3.0Ghz. Even using a 6x CPU miltiplier and a 2x memory multi, I tried 375, 380, 400, 406, 410, 415, 425.... just cycles on startup and defaults the bios.

Any suggestions on how I can run the CPU around 2.8-3.0Ghz, keep my ratio at 1:1, and run my memory at or above DDR800

I have followed wusy's OC guide and have the temp/throttling controls disabled, I have all extra/unused bios options disabled including serial ports and such.

Dont kknow what else I can say if anyone has any suggested setting that work I will try them.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I was hoping to run my DS3 at or above 400fsb. I hear alot of others running this much higher.

I have a DS3 rev 3.3
E4300 w/ Scythe Ninja
Patriot Extreme DDR800 4-4-4-12
X1950XT
Seasonic S12 600W

I have good case ventilation. Including a fan for the NB keeping it only warm to the touch.

No matter what multiplier I run the CPU I cant get this to boot at over 370fsb. Is this a limit to the rev 3.3 board or am I just too noob.

This settup WILL run 9x333 for 3.0Ghz (Orthos and Memtest86 stable all day) but it wont run 8x375 for 3.0Ghz. Even using a 6x CPU miltiplier and a 2x memory multi, I tried 375, 380, 400, 406, 410, 415, 425.... just cycles on startup and defaults the bios.

Any suggestions on how I can run the CPU around 2.8-3.0Ghz, keep my ratio at 1:1, and run my memory at or above DDR800

I have followed wusy's OC guide and have the temp/throttling controls disabled, I have all extra/unused bios options disabled including serial ports and such.

Dont kknow what else I can say if anyone has any suggested setting that work I will try them.

Loosen RAM Timings to 5-5-5-18, lock PCI clock at 33 1/3 and set PCI Frequency to 110-118. It may be you are not able to bring other components of your system along with your CPU when you increase the FSB.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
My board wont boot in the range 375-400, from what I have read most peoples boards have a dead spot in that range, have you tried a higher FSB of say... 425?

Edit: actually I just checked this again and my board boots fine at the FSB speeds that it previously wouldn't, guess it was fixed by a bios update.

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Instead of upping the fsb tighten up your memory timings and run @ 667mhz. 667mhz DDR2 with good tight timings beats 800mhz DDR2 with lousy loose timings. If you are still hung up on a high fsb you will likely have to start adjusting voltages to your northbridge and the like. If you haven't yet, put a fan on your northbridge.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Instead of upping the fsb tighten up your memory timings and run @ 667mhz. 667mhz DDR2 with good tight timings beats 800mhz DDR2 with lousy loose timings. If you are still hung up on a high fsb you will likely have to start adjusting voltages to your northbridge and the like. If you haven't yet, put a fan on your northbridge.

Here here.

DDR2-667 CL3 ftw.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
have you tried a higher FSB of say... 425?

I guess you didnt read my post

If you are still hung up on a high fsb you will likely have to start adjusting voltages to your northbridge and the like. If you haven't yet, put a fan on your northbridge.

I guess that when I said I followed wusy's OC guide. things would be assumed to have been done. I guess you havent read wusy's guide. and as for a fan on my NB, I guess you havent read my OP either.

I am assuming you have updated your bios to the most recent one correct?

there are not updates for the BIOS on a rev 3.3 board.

I really do appreciate the attempt, but when you post suggestions that are clearly stated as being tried in the original post we get nowhere.

Pax2All is the only one who even came up with anything remotely helpful. An I may consider trying tigher timings on underclocked ram. I figure tight 667 will beat loose 800. But will it beat 800 @ 4-4-4-10?

waleedhk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
try giving sb more voltage and NB-1.55..set your Vcore-1.5 (if it works try lowering it by one notch) set your PCI-105...PCI-33...put FSB 400 and Multi at 6x and ram at Sync mode...

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I dont think there is a SB V control in BIOS.

what I have for choices are(aside from the other memory timing choices):
Memory O.volt control = normal, +.1V thru like +.8V
FSB O.Volt Cont. = normal, +.1, +.2, +.3 volts
MCH O.V Cont. = same as FSB

I have tried FSB and MCH all 3 +V levels but doesnt seem to help. I run them at +1V for stability at current OC.

What should the "PCI LATENCY TIMER (CLK)" be set to? Choices are 32, 64, and 128. It is currently default at 32.

Setting the Vcore at 1.5V doesnt boot over 350-370fsb no matter the multiplier.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
600W not enough? Maybe.

My window fan blows directly down onto my NB and the NB is only warm to the tough under OC. I flipped my window and swapped out the CPU intake port for an 80mm fan since the port dosnt fit over my Ninja anyways. :)

waleedhk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
i think its enough power...i think there is some matter in your motherboard because my s3 goes 450fsb easily...put your cpu in some other mobo and check whether its going above 400 use the 6x multi

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Have you tried manually setting all of the voltages like the FSB, northbridge, Southbridge, etc...? Try just manually setting them to their stock values. When I would leave my voltages on "Auto" my board would automatically adjust the voltages for me, sometimes too much.

Secondly, I don't appreciate your attitude, I did read your post, I meant to say "higher than 425." You never mentioned anything about updating your bios. Maybe you should read your own post before criticizing me. :roll: If you don't appreciate my time and help then you can figure it out on your own, my box is already running at 3GHz :D

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Have you tried manually setting all of the voltages like the FSB, northbridge, Southbridge, etc...? Try just manually setting them to their stock values. When I would leave my voltages on "Auto" my board would automatically adjust the voltages for me, sometimes too much.

Secondly, I don't appreciate your attitude, I did read your post, I meant to say "higher than 425." You never mentioned anything about updating your bios. Maybe you should read your own post before criticizing me. :roll: If you don't appreciate my time and help then you can figure it out on your own, my box is already running at 3GHz :D

I very clearly typed that "I really do appreciate". Dont get your panties all knotted up. hehe. Ill take any help I can get. No, I havent tried any higher than 425. I have heard something about the "strap" at higher FSB being more manageable but Im not sure what this is exactly. Something about the memory?

Are you saying that I should leave my Vcontrol for FSB, MCH, and whatever elsa at auto? Cause I cannot set specific voltages. I can only bump the voltages +.1, +.2, or +.3 volts.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Ah, I see, I am not familiar with the DS3 BIOS.

My advice probably doesn't make much sense then. I can set specific voltages, and since my board gives me problems if I leave the voltages on "auto", I was thinking you might have a similar problem. But it doesn't really sound like that is your problem...

Ok, well I'm a bit of a noob so I'll just throw out a few more ideas just to make sure that you've covered the basics:

1) Have you upped the memory voltages to their reccomended setting (i.e. 2.1V you should set to +.3V)?

2) Have you tried loosening the memory timings further (6-6-6-18) just to see what happens?

3) What kind of load temps are you getting with CoreTemp or TAT at 350-370 FSB?

Hopefully a BIOS update will fix your problem. Keep us posted, I'm interested in getting that board as well.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
My memory is set to +.3v and reads 2.1V in speedfan.
MCH and FSB V controls are set to +.1v
I have not tried 6-6-6-18 no. Thats just a little too loose for my taste.

I have discovered that TAT is actually reading +15C on my board and I believe speedfan is correct. Has something to do with TAT using Tj max of 100C instead of 85C on L2 stepping core 2 duos.

With TAT running 100% my TAT temps are around 73-75C which again I have personally proven to be about 13-15C too high. Speedfan (which I believe to be correct) says my load temps are 59-60C. My room is fairly warm aboout 80F.

Right now I have reverted back to the tried and true 9 x 333 for 2.997Ghz. @ 1.36V idle and 1.33V load. V read from speedfan. I could lower Vcore but I wanted to assure stability. Vcore is about .4V lower then BIOS setting of 1.4V. 1:1 DDR667 4-4-4-10 @ 2.1V. This configuration is memtest and orthos stably all day long. with orthos I max temp at about 55C.

PCI freq and voltage left on auto.

I am going to try some higher FBS's from 420 and up. I think I will lay my case down and install a momentary switch running from my desk to the BIOS reset pins. 15min job. 2 x 36 inches of wire, 4 solder points, connect to board. instant BIOS reset without even turning my chair. I have considered making this a permanent mod out to the reset switch. But Im afraid the kids will get it. But then again the bois has a save bois settings option that lets me save like 10 different bois configs so I dont have to remember the settings, I just hit F12 from bois and choose my config. hmmm I may just do it after all. I mean all I have to do is take the connector from the reset switch and plug it onto the bios reset pins. Hmmm 15 sec job.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
yes i agree, 6-6-6-18 is way too loose, but it might be worth a try just to make sure it's not a memory related problem. (pretty sure its not)

I haven't used speedfan, I use CoreTemp. 60C is still a bit on the toasty side. Does CoreTemp agree with TAT or Speedfan? What were you using to simulate a full load with speedfan? I am asking because I read that TAT generates more heat than Orthos, etc... Can't get TAT to work on XP x64 for some reason to test this myself.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I used TAT 100%. But I turned off my fans and waited for throttle to kick in. TAT temps were 97-98C and speedfan was 83C when throttle kicked in so Im pretty sure TAT is too high and speed is at least more realistic if not totally acurate. Since Tj-max is supposed to be 85C.