Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0: Use on-board controller or controller card?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 2, 2007 5:32:25 AM

I want to set up a RAID 0 array with the system below and will be adding a second Raptor X shortly. I'm going with a hardware-based setup and my question is should I use the RAID controller built into the Striker Exreme or should I use a controller card? If there is any hogging of system resources from the on-board controller, I will go with the controller card. If I decide to go with a controller card, I'm leaning towards the Highpoint Rocketraid 2300 or 2310.

Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2X1GB DDR2-800
Western Digital 150GB Raptor X
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Thermaltake Kandalf LCS VD4000WBS
Pioneer DVR-212D DVD/CD Writer

More about : raid board controller controller card

April 2, 2007 5:35:35 AM

If your definition of hogging is less than 4 percent of the CPU performance, then maybe it does hog some...
but will you notice it?
April 2, 2007 5:37:28 AM

if you do, every Intel C2D, for that matter practically all CPU's can be safely overclocked 5 to 10 percent, more than enough to compensate for performance hit.
Related resources
April 2, 2007 5:49:26 AM

A little voice deep inside of me is saying I should go with the advice of a guy with over 15000 posts. I can take a <4% hit and anyway my next project is to learn how to overclock this system. Thanks RichPLS!
April 2, 2007 5:55:48 AM

I am using a Raptor 150 for boot drive, and 2 74GB raptors in RAID0 for scratch disk, and a pair of 250GB drives in RAID 1 for data and storage, then a 500GB drive for backup.
I am using also Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo.
April 2, 2007 8:43:30 AM

its smart advice, lol, also, it has higher interface bandwidth, not restricted to 1x pci-e or pci. i thought it used the chipsets resources, not the cpus... odd... anyway, either way, your fine. good luck on your ocing.
April 2, 2007 9:51:37 AM

The one advantage that I can see for a pci card vs. an onboard card would be portability. Change MB, move the raid drives and the controller... Not much help if its your OS drive though.

I suppose that all MB based SATA controllers are not created equal, however, so some investigation into its xor functionality would be worth a deeper look vs. the pci card.

Just supposition on my part as I do not use onboard or pci based raid.
April 2, 2007 9:56:05 AM

The one advantage that I can see for a pci card vs. an onboard card would be portability. Change MB, move the raid drives and the controller... Not much help if its your OS drive though.

I suppose that all MB based SATA controllers are not created equal, however, so some investigation into its xor functionality would be worth a deeper look vs. the pci card.

Just supposition on my part as I do not use onboard or pci based raid.
April 2, 2007 2:18:49 PM

I read the article. I'm a bit more knowledgable now. Thanks WaRsHeZ.
!