Closed

Utility to rename files with invalid characters in their n..

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have downloaded many files with invalid characters in their names.

I am looking for a simple utility to scan through the names of files
in a folder and remove invalid characters.

Anyone got something?
8 answers Last reply
More about utility rename files invalid characters
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Gary wrote:

    > Anyone got something?

    I have a dose of the clap if that helps.

    --
    Dances for trolls.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Gary - I think the one you need is Delete Invalid File, below, but give
    all three a try.

    Sometimes you will find files which you are unable to delete because they
    are in use. A program called Copylock, here,
    http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
    "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
    currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
    files.)"

    Another is Killbox, here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip

    A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
    here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
    file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have downloaded many files with invalid characters in their names.
    >
    > I am looking for a simple utility to scan through the names of files
    > in a folder and remove invalid characters.
    >
    > Anyone got something?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    johnf, <john_f@bigpond.net.a>, the screaming, bonkers herbivore, and barge
    operator, uttered:

    >> I've got itchy bollox?

    > A most appropriate and helpful reply. You have something there,
    > that's for sure, but IMHO it needs immediate psychiatric treatment.

    Not everyone is like you. Many humans on this planet do not think with their
    groins.

    --
    http://www.nice-tits.org/pics.html

    Gary,

    I've used Ztree, a non-graphical-interface file manager that replaced
    the long-gone Xtree file manager, to correct problems you describe. You
    can check it out at www.ztree.com; they do have a 30 day trial period if
    you don't want to buy it !

    Dean...

    Gary wrote:

    > I have downloaded many files with invalid characters in their names.
    >
    > I am looking for a simple utility to scan through the names of files
    > in a folder and remove invalid characters.
    >
    > Anyone got something?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Gary wrote:

    > I have downloaded many files with invalid characters in their names.
    >
    > I am looking for a simple utility to scan through the names of files
    > in a folder and remove invalid characters.
    >
    > Anyone got something?

    If you have the files on fat32 partition, you can download DSL
    (Damn Small Linux) LiveCD, boot up off the CD, and rename files
    to heart's content.
    Also delete those difficult to delete files in _restore
    and temp directories.
    All free, open source softare,
    works off the CD, and no need to install.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. Your suggestions aim to remove
    files, which is the last thing I want to do. The invalid characters
    in the file names probably come from users from one OS posting to
    newsgroups which are downloadable from other OSs. So I could get
    files with accented characters, double quotes, etc. I want to keep
    the files, but need to make the names more compatible with my OS
    (Windows), or make them universally acceptable.

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:45:48 -0700, "Jim Byrd"
    <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.com> wrote:

    >http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm
  7. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Gary - Sorry - I misunderstood and thought you wanted to get rid of them.

    --

    > Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. Your suggestions aim to remove
    > files, which is the last thing I want to do. The invalid characters
    > in the file names probably come from users from one OS posting to
    > newsgroups which are downloadable from other OSs. So I could get
    > files with accented characters, double quotes, etc. I want to keep
    > the files, but need to make the names more compatible with my OS
    > (Windows), or make them universally acceptable.
    >
    > On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:45:48 -0700, "Jim Byrd"
    > <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.com> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm
  8. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Microsoft Windows XP