Ram Question - Please Help

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi All
I am in the UK and looking for some RAM. I have already posted a similar post but the situation has change & I am stuck!

I have a P4 650 running @ 3.75 Ghz on an ASUS P5P800S but currently I only have 512Mb of RAM which I thought was DDR400 but turns out to be unstable @ 400.

I only want to shop from UK suppliers & have a buget up £80 GBP

I was going to buy OCZ 1x1Gb & 1x512Mb for £74 from eBuyer but I couldn't do it on Friday and now the sale has finished & it has gone out of my price range.

I was looking @ Corsair

Corsair (VS1GB400C3) 1024MB CL3
&
Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB CL2.5

but the Latencies don't match. Is this an issue

I don't want to go value ram as I believe that
1) it may go wrong soon after warranty (this has happened to me with other 'Value' Products)

2) it may not support the present OC'ing I am doing.

I am not looking forward to trawling through countless sites again looking for a bargain & would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks.

NeilV

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hi All
I am in the UK and looking for some RAM. I have already posted a similar post but the situation has change & I am stuck!

I have a P4 650 running @ 3.75 Ghz on an ASUS P5P800S but currently I only have 512Mb of RAM which I thought was DDR400 but turns out to be unstable @ 400.

I only want to shop from UK suppliers & have a buget up £80 GBP

I was going to buy OCZ 1x1Gb & 1x512Mb for £74 from eBuyer but I couldn't do it on Friday and now the sale has finished & it has gone out of my price range.

I was looking @ Corsair

Corsair (VS1GB400C3) 1024MB CL3
&
Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB CL2.5

but the Latencies don't match. Is this an issue

I don't want to go value ram as I believe that
1) it may go wrong soon after warranty (this has happened to me with other 'Value' Products)

2) it may not support the present OC'ing I am doing.

I am not looking forward to trawling through countless sites again looking for a bargain & would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks.

NeilV

If you are buying 2 DIMMS, why one 1024 and one 512? You can run dual channel by buying a 2 x 1024 or a 2 x 512 MB kit. The DIMMS would match perfectly (as well as the latencys) and your overclocking ability would greatly increase. As far as mixing CAS latencys is concerned, depending on your system, mixing could cause dual channel to not work. Otherwise, you can go into the BIOS and set the CAS Latency manually. HTH.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If you are buying 2 DIMMS, why one 1024 and one 512? You can run dual channel by buying a 2 x 1024 or a 2 x 512 MB kit. The DIMMS would match perfectly (as well as the latencys) and your overclocking ability would greatly increase. As far as mixing CAS latencys is concerned, depending on your system, mixing could cause dual channel to not work. Otherwise, you can go into the BIOS and set the CAS Latency manually. HTH.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I can't afford 2x1Gb & only have 2 slots so 2x512Mb would not be much of an improvement. I am just confused as to why the Corsair memory available from eBuyer has different Latency for different amounts of RAM. As far as I am aware (backed up by other members of this forum) the Asus P5P800S is not Dual Channel so I opted for 1.5Gb in total. Hope it does run OK as I have ordered it now :D Not to late to cancel though. :cry:

Thanks Again
NeilV

Mondoman

Splendid
Corsair's ValueSelect line is not good stuff; unlike with their premium memory (e.g. XMS2), they just contract out the VS to the cheapest vendor and slap a Corsair sticker on it.
If you want to go with cheaper memory, I'd suggest something like Kingston's ValueRAM line.
Whatever you get, at least stick with something that has a lifetime warranty (as both of the above lines do).

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Corsair's ValueSelect line is not good stuff; unlike with their premium memory (e.g. XMS2), they just contract out the VS to the cheapest vendor and slap a Corsair sticker on it.
If you want to go with cheaper memory, I'd suggest something like Kingston's ValueRAM line.
Whatever you get, at least stick with something that has a lifetime warranty (as both of the above lines do).

Damn! I suppose by the VS @ the front of the Part No. that this IS part of the ValueSelect Line, although it does offer a Lifetime Warranty (who's lifetime?)

Only went for it because the sale on the OCZ stuff had finished :cry: I don't seem to have much luck with components, Cheap 7600GS is not good (Bad Memory again!), new CPU to fit MOBO then MOBO blows up. Still I've still got my health (Cough, Cough!)

Thanks for your help anyway.

NeilV