Sign in with
Your question

Sorry all yet another PC build, thanks!

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2007 9:51:09 AM

8O Well here we go again, hate to do it but if I’m gonna spend it I might as well get some opinions. See Signature for current build if you would.

This will be my gaming rig. I have no interest in going SLI. If one card can’t do it for me then I shouldn’t be playing it. I will be keeping the SB Audigy 2 ZS, Radeon X850XT PCI-e, all 3 drives and the DVD/CD burner for the new system. I will be upgrading the GPU in due time once we get a better selection of DX10 cards out and after I complete this upgrade. I will be buying parts every 2 weeks hopefully not spending more than 150 those given 2 week periods.

I just ordered this case. I opted for this one without PSU since I would have to replace it anyways:RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156063
Now I believe my next purchase will be the PSU, this is where I’m looking for suggestions. I’m going to put out the rest of the system here so you can give your opinions on it as well. I don’t believe that I will be need 3 12v rails or for that matter 2 since I’m not going SLI correct? I’m not really looking for any thing great with the PSU other than the modular cables (I hate a mess) and good power rating. Will this PSU give me enough juice if I added an 8800 or better down the road?

I was thinking this PSU: Antec NeoHE 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103940

Processor I’m thinking either:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale
Or
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz- probably leaning in this direction.

I figured that I would make the processor my last purchase since it won’t be for a month and a half and we should see that price cut then.

As for the MB I guess I’d like some suggestions here as well. I’m not sure if they have confirmed that we will be able to use the newer boards with the quad cores yet or not. If so I’d like to keep that in mind so I can upgrade down the road. I’m guessing that the P965 MB’s are the way to go or is it the i680? Is the 680i only for SLI? I plan on overclocking but nothing crazy insane. No water cooling. Air cooled all the way. No need for SLI. So?

MB I was thinking: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012

RAM I want 2 gig’s. I don’t know what route to go. Like I said I wanna do some over clocking but nothing to crazy. From looking at reviews and what not it appears that some ram works with certain boards better so I’m not sure on what to use. I guess I need to find out if that board is good enough or if you guys suggest something different.

The GF is gonna buy me a 32’ LCD for the b-day so that will replace the POS 19 Dell CRT I have to hit on the side to come back on about once a day LOL.

Thanks again all. I know your wisdom and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

P.S. sorry for the lengthy post and all the questions.

More about : build

April 2, 2007 11:27:50 PM

With a e4300, you could use the RAM you have for a short while, as you need to overclock the CPU before it gets up to 667 speed. MIght also work on an e6300.
I think the PSU will power most of the cards, Check with mpitchfamily, the PSU Guru.
For the newer high end games, you will want an 8800 GTX to power the 32", you lucky dog. GF like that is a keeper.
Related resources
April 3, 2007 5:37:59 AM

ok thanks for the replies guys. So it looks like i'm good with that MB choice.

So would the power supply crank out enough to support that system build and a 8800GTX? If not any advice? I surely dont want to replace the PSU 2 months later if its not gonna be enough juice.

I'm 95% sure im going to go with the e6300. So i didn't quite catch what you are saying about the RAM. Should i go for another brand or a higher speed? thanks again!
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2007 8:58:36 AM

Look here for PSU requirements:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-Reference-L...

Mpilchfamily knows what he's talking about for PSU's. If your going to get something comparable (amps wise), you should spend around $100 for a quality PSU. Take a look at the link and see what would work for you.

My 2cp
April 3, 2007 11:37:53 AM

A fully built 8800GTX PC needs at least 450W 30A. The one you picked out is 500W 38A. It's enough for the stock pc. Maybe not enough for overclocking. IMO, 8800GTX buyers should get at least a 600W for a single card setup.
!