Encryption nightmare

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Hi folks, been a while since I've posted!

I recently did a clean install, going from XP MCE SP2 to Win7 Pro-N. I got everything backed up but made a rookie mistake and forgot to decrypt a small batch of files after they were moved to the external drive. I know retrieving these files is next to impossible, but here is a question...

I have backups of a few of these files that are not encrypted. So, if I know the contents of the file, is it possible to use that somehow to re-create the key for the encrypted version? And then use that key to retrieve the rest of them?

Obviously I know the account name and password since this is my home computer so maybe that would help also? I don't care if it takes a year to process, I'd just like these files back!

Thanks for any help with this.

If my reading and interpretation is correct, I think you're SOL here. The account name and password between the 2 operating systems is the same, but the keys used to encrypt and decrypt the data are different, and there's really no way to retrieve them after the fact. Unless the old XP install is still intact, you're probably not going to get those files back.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I'd be willing to wait, since the alternative is deletion and being called a quitter. :D I haven't been able to figure out how to do it though. I have to imagine that knowing the account name would greatly speed things up, since (unless I'm mistaken) the encryption key is partly generated by that name.

franklin101

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I know this is a really old thread, but keepass says if you want to use the Windows account as a password, you should back up the SID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Identifier

That probably would apply to you too. You would need to in essense spoof the old account. The only thing is that you probably didn't back the registry up.

In the future, use software like Truecypt which is independent of windows.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Well it's been a year and a half so I thought I'd check and see if anyone has any new ideas for recovering encrypted files? If there's a way to brute force them then I'm still up for it. I've already waited a year and a half, in which time I could have had a spare machine working on it! It makes me sad every time I see my hard drive sitting there unplugged with my old files on it.

First you need to find what software to try to use to decrypt the files. The only way to do that is to actually run it and hope for the best. http://sectools.org/crackers.html

I think Windows 7 uses either 128 bit or 256 bit encryption depending on how you configured it. Here is the time it will take. Bring a long book with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack

128 149,745,258,842,898 years
256 50,955,671,114,250,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Only 128 trillion years? Better get started! They base that number on a machine that could crack 56-bit encryption in one second. I wonder how long a typical home machine could actually do it. Guess it doesn't matter, it's a crap shoot either way.

That's 128 bit encryption, 149 trillion years.

Hope you're not using solar power, the sun will probably be dead by then.