mfurse

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Source: Inquirer.net

SEARCH OUTFIT Google is fuming that Microsoft has included its MSN search engine in its new version of IE.
The new version of the browser, which is currently in Beta, includes a search box in the upper-right corner which is set up to send users to Microsoft's MSN search service. Google claims this puts Vole in an unfair position to grab Web traffic and advertising dollars which should be heading its way.

The halls of power in the US and the EU are hearing Googlish moans from lobbyists who are haunting them and the word 'anti-trust' is being muttered and chains rattled again.

A spokesgoogle said that the market favoured open choice for searching, and companies. should compete for users based on the quality of their search services. Google didn't think it is right for the Vole to just set the default to MSN, it was up to users to choose.

A spokesVole said that the default settings in the browser, Internet Explorer 7, were easy to change.

However the move does slightly outmanoeuvre Google in a Netscape sort of way. Google has just spent a billion to remain the primary search service on America Online. That cash could fly out the Window if AOL users end up on IE7 on their new Vista machines.

So having your own search in the top right corner of the second most popular browser (firefox) is not enough? MS at least offer the user an easy change to another search engine! What do you guys think?

TerryF

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I don't think Goole gives a dam. Why should they? If you load IE7 you will see that there is a search bar, but there is also a convenient (and obvious) little arrow at its side that lets the user select which default search engine they prefer from a drop down list - with 6 different engines listed by default including Google.

OK. It is set by default to MSN on installation, but would anyone expect otherwise!

Now where's the gripe?

Terry

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I think since it's Microsoft's product, they should be allowed to do as they please with regards to what they bundle in. Car manufacturer's sell cars with stereos built in, integrated child seats, etc. Nobody is stopping them, and it has even gotten to the point that some stereo systems are proprietary, meaning if your stereo craps out, only a replacement from the manufacturer will fit in your vehicle. This garbage against MS has gotten way out of hand. I for one like to get as much as I can for my money. If I choose not to use something they provide, then I don't, and I download or purchase something else. There are lots of people who use extras that MS provides with Windows and IE that they would not want to have to purchase, or download, separately. Unlike this forum, most computers users are merely knowledgable enough to do what they need to do, and don't want to have to deal with a lot of extra stuff. I see it every day in my business. For many people, even downloading and installing free software is quite a task.