Visio plasma EDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 19, 2004 5:19:19 AM

I found a 42" vizio plasma EDTV on sale for 1999.99 101350400

But I cannot find a review on it.

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent offer?
What are the drawbacks or features of EDTV?

Thanks for your help.

More about : visio plasma edtv

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:48:58 AM

"edward leary" <el4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I found a 42" vizio plasma EDTV on sale for 1999.99
101350400

> But I cannot find a review on it.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is a decent offer?
> What are the drawbacks or features of EDTV?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Well.....it's just not HDTV. It's enhanced but not equal to
HD picture in quality and can't receive HD broadcasts,
AFAIK. ...tonyC
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 9:58:51 AM

edward leary wrote:
> I found a 42" vizio plasma EDTV on sale for 1999.99 101350400
>
> But I cannot find a review on it.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is a decent offer?
> What are the drawbacks or features of EDTV?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Never heard of the brand (likely made in China,that is,junk) and it
sounds like a lot of $$ to pay for a TV that is,at best,not nearly
as good as HDTV.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:36:28 PM

Anthony Cerrato wrote:
> "edward leary" <el4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>>I found a 42" vizio plasma EDTV on sale for 1999.99
>
> 101350400
>
>>But I cannot find a review on it.
>>
>>Can anyone tell me if this is a decent offer?
>>What are the drawbacks or features of EDTV?
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>

> Well.....it's just not HDTV. It's enhanced but not equal to
> HD picture in quality and can't receive HD broadcasts,
> AFAIK. ...tonyC

Wrong. An ED TV plasma can display HD broadcasts, it scales the
picture down to 480p. While it is not a true HD display, the picture
quality can be surprisingly good, especially compared to ye old
NTSC/analog SD CRT picture. Since the 42" HD plasmas are either 768x1024
or 1024x1204 ALiS panels, the 480x852 EDs can represent a decent bargain
for someone who does not want to lay out up to 5K retail for the 42" HD
plasmas.

This is in general. As for the Vizio EDTV plasma, there are a number
of these "low cost" rebadged plasmas around which vary widely in
quality. Don't know anything about the Vizio, including whether it comes
with an ATSC tuner or not. However the on-line discount dealers for
plasmas are selling the brand name EDs, most noticeably the Panasonic
42PD25 for around $2100 to $2200 plus shipping. The 42PD25 includes NTSC
and ATSC tuners and is a highly rated ED plasma. I recommend some net
research and reading at a minimum before buying any HD TV.
!