Help on an E6600 overclock

gamer_boy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hi all,

I've looked around and can't really find the answer I'm looking for. I will hopefully be getting a new PC soon and am quite interested in overclocking it. I have done a fair bit of research, but I'm still confused.

I will be running an E6600, P5b Deluxe, and 2gb DDR2800 OCZ RAM. I would like to take the processor up to 3.0ghz.

Would I be better off with 333 x 9 = 2997, or 375 x 8 = 3000. My thinking was that the higher FSB would use more of the RAM (1:1 divider). Would this be possible with the stock cooler and voltages etc.

I am fully aware that all chips are different, but I was just wondering if someone could give me a few hints and tips.

Many thanks

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I can see what your aiming for, but I'm not sure it's the best way to go.

Sure, you want to try and use 1:1 memory timings, as that generally provides the best performance. However, the higher the FSB, the higher the temps. In addition, a higher FSB will require more volts to provide stability (also resulting in temp increases).

All this is hypothetical, of course. All components are different, and you never know what overclock you can achieve until you try. The best way to do this is to try both and see what the results are. If you can achieve both overclocks (333x9 and 375x8), you can monitor the temps and benchmark each overclock to see which is better.

Many serious overclockers will reduce the multiplier once they hit a 'wall' to see if they can break past it and achieve a better overclock (better in terms of performance/higher resulting CPU frequency). I'm just not sure it's worth it just to try and achieve better memory timings.

One final point - memory running at a ratio of 1:1 may perform slightly better than that running at a different ratio, but the difference is negligible. In many cases, it's only noticeable in a synthetic benchmark.

Hope this helps.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hi all,

I've looked around and can't really find the answer I'm looking for. I will hopefully be getting a new PC soon and am quite interested in overclocking it. I have done a fair bit of research, but I'm still confused.

I will be running an E6600, P5b Deluxe, and 2gb DDR2800 OCZ RAM. I would like to take the processor up to 3.0ghz.

Would I be better off with 333 x 9 = 2997, or 375 x 8 = 3000. My thinking was that the higher FSB would use more of the RAM (1:1 divider). Would this be possible with the stock cooler and voltages etc.

I am fully aware that all chips are different, but I was just wondering if someone could give me a few hints and tips.

Many thanks

Read this:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html

That should help you on you're overclocking problems, just follow everything on there.