Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DVD/CD Drive Problem?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 2, 2007 2:48:48 PM

I have a Samsung Combo (DVD/CD) Drive. The problem I have is that I get "corrupted" files and "does not match set up file" errors when trying to load from different CDs and DVDs. Could this be a problem with the drive itself or is it deeper? I had this problem with Test Drive Unlimited, Sims 2, and Silent Hunter 4. Just wanna know if I'm looking in the right direction by just replacing the disk drive (hate to waste the money if it won't help). Thanks.

More about : dvd drive problem

a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2007 4:06:20 PM

by CD/DVD you mean burner?

this is a long shot, but
you can try to flash the firmware to the latest one on Samsungs site. if that fails and its new enough RMA it.

you can steal a drive from someone to test?
April 2, 2007 4:16:16 PM

You need to find another drive to test with at least I think. Could be the drive, the IDE controller, or some weird software issue. Do you get any data corruption when moving files between hard drives?
Related resources
April 3, 2007 9:29:21 AM

Well here is something I've noted in the last day. There are files in Test Drive Unlimited (*.cab) that on BOTH a DVD and a digital download my computer wants to think are corrupted/unpackable. Now, what part of the computer reads files and if they are "readable" or not?
April 3, 2007 10:24:46 AM

Okay first of all you have to make some sense and be clear if you want to resolve this.

Have you tried resetting the system, wiping the discs for dust , seeing if they have scratches .

If yes then insert another cd/dvd to see if it reads and installs properly any program it may contain -

if yes then is the problem only for dvds -if yes then you need to flash the firmware. Which you should do anyway so as to avoid any future compatibility issues .
April 3, 2007 11:14:49 AM

Okay, for clarity...

1. All disc are cleaned with no scratches.
2. Other DVDs have installed with no problems.
3. Firmware is current.

The problems seems to lie with the cab files. Like I said earlier, BOTH the DVD and a digiatal download (no interaction with the DVD drive at all) have "corrupt" cab files. What I am really asking is what would cause my computer to not be able to read cab files. From what I understand cab files are a form of file compression.

Sorry if I'm not too clear...it is difficult to explain. Thank you though for the help.
April 3, 2007 11:58:52 AM

Quote:
I have a Samsung Combo (DVD/CD) Drive. The problem I have is that I get "corrupted" files and "does not match set up file" errors when trying to load from different CDs and DVDs. Could this be a problem with the drive itself or is it deeper? I had this problem with Test Drive Unlimited, Sims 2, and Silent Hunter 4. Just wanna know if I'm looking in the right direction by just replacing the disk drive (hate to waste the money if it won't help). Thanks.


I had the same problem with the Sims 2 (stupid game... didn't play it at all) and World of Warcraft on my laptop's combo drive. In both cases the solution was to copy the install files to my HD and install from there. Plenty of other CDs/DVDs read fine in my drive, but those perfectly good, new, shiny CDs refused to work.

Although I don't believe this to be true, I am going to repeat it... according to the EA/Sims 2 Site, there's some sort of copy protection scheme at work here... if the installer can't maintain a certain rate of data transfer, it causes the install to fail. This sounds like total BS to me, but the fact that I was able to copy the entire contents of the 4 CDs to my HD and then install fine without any errors does make me wonder. The CDs were good and my drive was able to read them perfectly... just figured I'd throw that out there.
April 3, 2007 2:49:30 PM

rodney_ws - I had the same problem with The Sims 2 as well (both the CD version and the DVD version). I tried copying the contents of the Test Drive DVD to my HD and then installing it, but it had the same error. Just doesn't make sense. Like I said, the error occured when trying to load from a DVD and when trying to load from a digital download from the HD. For what ever reason my computer doesn't know what to do with the cab files.

Another thing, this happend with Vista and with XP.
April 3, 2007 3:04:59 PM

Quote:
rodney_ws - I had the same problem with The Sims 2 as well (both the CD version and the DVD version). I tried copying the contents of the Test Drive DVD to my HD and then installing it, but it had the same error. Just doesn't make sense. Like I said, the error occured when trying to load from a DVD and when trying to load from a digital download from the HD. For what ever reason my computer doesn't know what to do with the cab files.

Another thing, this happend with Vista and with XP.

As best I could tell it had something to do with the slow transfer rate of my laptop's optical drive... the same discs installed fine on my desktop. Again, they were brand new... just out of the sleeve... no scratches. Was I annoyed? You bet your ass I was! Will I ever buy another EA product? Nope. F 'em.
April 3, 2007 3:28:27 PM

I know what you mean. The problem with me is that I have this problem with EA software and Atari software!!!
April 3, 2007 3:46:35 PM

Quote:

The problems seems to lie with the cab files. Like I said earlier, BOTH the DVD and a digiatal download (no interaction with the DVD drive at all) have "corrupt" cab files. What I am really asking is what would cause my computer to not be able to read cab files.


jesus...

the problem is with the cab's.
they were downloaded.
the computer says they are corrupt.
Another thing, this happend with Vista and with XP.

i dont see the question.

re-download them, THEY ARE CORRUPTED. nothing would cause your computer to not be able to read cab files, everything would cause your computer to not be able to read CORRUPT cab files.

Valis
April 3, 2007 3:52:21 PM

Okay Valis, so your saying that the downloaded files (from the digital download) and the files froma completely seperate brand new DVD are corrupted? That seems really unlikely. I'll try d/l'ing it again, but I don't think that's where the problem is.
April 3, 2007 4:29:39 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean. The problem with me is that I have this problem with EA software and Atari software!!!

I try not to hate on Atari too much... NWN (bugs and all) was awesome.
April 3, 2007 4:50:50 PM

Quote:
Okay Valis, so your saying that the downloaded files (from the digital download) and the files froma completely seperate brand new DVD are corrupted? That seems really unlikely. I'll try d/l'ing it again, but I don't think that's where the problem is.


that's exactly what i'm saying. every single symptom you have described has squarely pointed to BAD FILES. the cd drive has tested clean with other disks, the disks haven't worked on other computers either. the files are bad in seperate operating systems. you said YOURSELF that the problem lies with the cab files.

good luck
April 3, 2007 5:00:12 PM

Quote:
Okay Valis, so your saying that the downloaded files (from the digital download) and the files froma completely seperate brand new DVD are corrupted? That seems really unlikely. I'll try d/l'ing it again, but I don't think that's where the problem is.


that's exactly what i'm saying. every single symptom you have described has squarely pointed to BAD FILES. the cd drive has tested clean with other disks, the disks haven't worked on other computers either. the files are bad in seperate operating systems. you said YOURSELF that the problem lies with the cab files.

good luck
Round and round he goes...
April 3, 2007 5:06:28 PM

Quote:
Okay Valis, so your saying that the downloaded files (from the digital download) and the files froma completely seperate brand new DVD are corrupted? That seems really unlikely. I'll try d/l'ing it again, but I don't think that's where the problem is.


that's exactly what i'm saying. every single symptom you have described has squarely pointed to BAD FILES. the cd drive has tested clean with other disks, the disks haven't worked on other computers either. the files are bad in seperate operating systems. you said YOURSELF that the problem lies with the cab files.

good luck
Round and round he goes...

wtf?
you're the one pointing to your left but saying it must be to your right.
how much more direct can i be?
round and round, what a load of bs.
everything you have said indicates bad cab files.
therefore the most logical conclusion, the one you have come to already, is that the cab files are bad.

what exactly is "round and round" about anything i've said?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2007 5:41:23 PM

Try opening the cab files with Winzip and extracting them to a folder.
Do you get an error message?
The problem might be with the installer.
April 3, 2007 5:53:12 PM

Quote:
Okay Valis, so your saying that the downloaded files (from the digital download) and the files froma completely seperate brand new DVD are corrupted? That seems really unlikely. I'll try d/l'ing it again, but I don't think that's where the problem is.


that's exactly what i'm saying. every single symptom you have described has squarely pointed to BAD FILES. the cd drive has tested clean with other disks, the disks haven't worked on other computers either. the files are bad in seperate operating systems. you said YOURSELF that the problem lies with the cab files.

good luck
Round and round he goes...

wtf?
you're the one pointing to your left but saying it must be to your right.
how much more direct can i be?
round and round, what a load of bs.
everything you have said indicates bad cab files.
therefore the most logical conclusion, the one you have come to already, is that the cab files are bad.

what exactly is "round and round" about anything i've said?
I'm at work behind a firewall that prevents me from going to EA.com... if you go there to their help site and search for an installation problem with the Sims 2 (I know you're concerned with other products, but I believe your problems are all related), they have an article that will describe in some detail a problem installing some of their products. I assumed originally that I had bad CDs or a bad drive, but after reading their site I just realized that EA sucks.

Because you're only having problems reading from some discs, most likely you're experiencing an incompatibility with some form of copy protection on the discs that when combined with certain makes of CD/DVD-ROMS will not allow for successful installation.

Specifically, I believe that SafeDisc 3.2 used by some companies to prevent CD copying is incompatible with certain makes of CD/DVD readers. There, I have clearly stated what I believe to be your problem.

If you weren't a whining little bitch about it, you'd go online and look up the problem yourself... if you want to continue bitching about damaged cabinets (or whatever you're babbling about) feel free.

You can lead a horse to water...
April 3, 2007 7:14:33 PM

Quote:

If you weren't a whining little bitch about it, you'd go online and look up the problem yourself... if you want to continue bitching about damaged cabinets (or whatever you're babbling about) feel free.

You can lead a horse to water...


dood, i assumed people on the tomshardware forums had the basic skills enough to follow a thread.

check the top. i'm not the one with the problem. perhaps that's why you're a bit confused.

Valis
April 3, 2007 7:19:53 PM

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water...


lol, dood, dont i know you from somewhere... i just noticed you're on my buddy list for some reason... and are in ga... any other online handles?

we can keep bitchin back and forth if you wanna.

Valis
April 3, 2007 8:19:51 PM

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water...


lol, dood, dont i know you from somewhere... i just noticed you're on my buddy list for some reason... and are in ga... any other online handles?

we can keep bitchin back and forth if you wanna.

Valis
Nah... that's ok. I think I pointed out the right solution to the wrong person... no biggie.
April 4, 2007 9:27:21 AM

rodney_ws - I perfectly understand what you were recommending. My comment was only that I found it strange that two completely different copies (from two different sources) of a specific file could be corrupt. It may be the case...I'll find out once I get another copy of the game. I wasn't "bitching". I appreciate your advice. Thanks
April 4, 2007 12:43:25 PM

Quote:
rodney_ws - I perfectly understand what you were recommending. My comment was only that I found it strange that two completely different copies (from two different sources) of a specific file could be corrupt. It may be the case...I'll find out once I get another copy of the game. I wasn't "bitching". I appreciate your advice. Thanks

Nah... it was an honest mix-up on my part. My bad. Best of luck with your problem.
April 4, 2007 8:46:36 PM

Copy protection schemes often involve intentionally "corrupt" files/disks that only the company's software knows how to read (until someone else figures it out). As r noted, these schemes are often not robust and sometimes give errors even when an authorized disk is being used. Vote with your money and don't buy from companies that use such brain-dead schemes.
April 26, 2007 7:17:03 AM

I get the same data.cab error with test drive Unlimited, someone knows a solution?
April 26, 2007 12:36:47 PM

Quote:
I get the same data.cab error with test drive Unlimited, someone knows a solution?


Try a different optical drive if that's an option or copy all of the files manually to your HD and attempt an installation from that location. That's what I've had to do for the Sims 2 and for WoW's expansion. I'll probably never buy another EA game... as for Blizzard... well, I'll probably just download their next title and avoid the hassle.

Btw, both of the titles I mentioned worked fine on my desktop computer... there was just something with my laptop's optical drive that didn't get along with those CDs. Other CDs read/install just fine from that drive.
!