AMD's Rebound, from the horse's mouth

RichPLS

Champion
This is the same old bs that has/is been/being beaten to death here...

It is fine if you feel that the wait for product release is because of a redesign to make chips better, but imo it still spells out the lack of planning from AMD to compete with C2D tech overwhelming them in performance...

If they had a better product ready, I can not foresee delaying it or redesigning it this late in the game...

We will see soon enough for most of us, but the long we wait, the lower stock drops, and the more influence and damage Intel commands...

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I could pull out a lot of quotes... this one some might like:

The PC OEM market today is one where it is very difficult to make any money. There's a reason for that and that is the monopoly and tax imposed by Intel. So because it is very difficult to make any money for the PC manufacturer, it is difficult for them to invest in true innovation and difficult for them to accept the cost that comes with progress.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Yeah, seems to be like it's the same old tiring "Even though we suck now, we're going to stop sucking soon, we promise! It'll be SO AMAZING! Oh and by the way, Intel is the devil and we're better than them."

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Yeah, seems to be like it's the same old tiring "Even though we suck now, we're going to stop sucking soon, we promise! It'll be SO AMAZING! Oh and by the way, Intel is the devil and we're better than them."

Couldn't possibly have summed it up better!!!

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

Couldn't possibly have summed it up better!!!

AMD starting the day at another 52 week low... sub-$13!!!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Yet another bash AMD post. Typical.

OK, allow me to modify that statement:

Reacting to AMD's newfound sense of optimism and their firm roadmap to dramatically gain market share in the next quarter, Wall Street reacted by driving the price of the stock to heady levels, a full $12.85 above Zero. :lol:

Just pullin your string, Baron... But then again, you seemed to like that in our night of lust! 8O

JUST KIDDING I AM NOT GAY AND I DIDN'T SLEEP WITH BARON NOR HAVE EVER SEEN HIM WITH OR WITHOUT WONDERBRA!!!!

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
why didn`t you guys give Intel hell when they produced bad performing parts?

Athlon, Athlon Xp and Athlon64 were great products and it gave Intel every reason to come up with something great, it only took them VERY long to make something better than Athlon64.
Now Intel is on top (and i love their product) and is pushing really hard to give Amd a very bad time. You guys think that`s great but IF Amd goes under, we all have to pay!

So give them a little break and hope for computing (and your wallet) that their next product will be great again.......

I think Barcelona will be great. But the fact that it comes at max. 2.3Ghz and Intel going to 45nm and reaching 4Ghz is not a good sign for Amd. :?
That`s NOT a good thing, it`s a BAD thing for all of us!

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
FYI - It is being reported by the AP that computer chip sales are up 8%, yet average price per chip is down 15%.

Hmmmm.... AMD revenue warns, yet Intel does not....

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=30&id=2229&pg=4

In the desktop, I'm a lot more skeptical. Of course there is always the marketing angle and you can convince people that four is better than two, but the fact of the matter is that there is no application that will take advantage of four processors, except for a very, very small sliver of the market space. And so, we have to be careful as an industry and not get trapped into the state of shipping a lot of technology that gets completely unused.

So if you ask me, today, in the desktop and notebook environment. Instead of spending more money on two cores that don't get used at all. I would advise customers to spend money on two cores that will get used and a good graphics processor to get the full benefit of the system.

Again, I think this is an area where our strategy differs from Intel, because we don't want users to spend money on technology that doesn't get used at all. Yes, there is a small percentage of desktop users that will see benefit from quad-core. That's why we made the Quad FX platform. That is a very niche and elitist enthusiast group of people that represent less than 1% of the market space. For the rest of the market, driving the message of quad-core knowing that people will never get benefit from it is really irresponsible.

And yet they're going for 8 cores :lol:

sailer

Splendid
Yet another bash AMD post. Typical.

OK, allow me to modify that statement:

Reacting to AMD's newfound sense of optimism and their firm roadmap to dramatically gain market share in the next quarter, Wall Street reacted by driving the price of the stock to heady levels, a full $12.85 above Zero. :lol:

Just pullin your string, Baron... But then again, you seemed to like that in our night of lust! 8O

JUST KIDDING I AM NOT GAY AND I DIDN'T SLEEP WITH BARON NOR HAVE EVER SEEN HIM WITH OR WITHOUT WONDERBRA!!!!

I'm waiting for AMD to reach new heights in the $11 dollar range before re-investing, or maybe even the fabulous $10's. Not that I'm optimistic or anything

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

Do you want me to go through the archives to pull out the thousands of posts I made (in my previous THG incarnation) blasting Prescotts or even Coppermines? FYI, I have been an AMD fan since K6 and am currently typing this on a San Diego 3700+. I reserve my vitirol for whichever side is currently dropping the ball and right now it's AMD.

P.S. If Barcy/Agena performs up to expectation and the QFX platform gets cleaned up that's gonna be my next system!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I'm waiting for AMD to reach new heights in the $11 dollar range before re-investing, or maybe even the fabulous $10's. Not that I'm optimistic or anything

I've relayed this story before on this forum, but I'll summarize it. A guy I knew mortgaged his house and sold everything he had to go into Nortel before the bust. The last news I have of him is that he was seen lining up outside a Vancouver Soup Kitchen.

I think I'll keep my investments restricted to the Doc Johnson Catalogue. :lol:

sailer

Splendid

I did. I even bought AMD cpu powered machines. I even went so far as to buy some AMD stock. It was fun talking about AMD highs while Intel sunk in the wasteland.

Now the situation has reversed. I haven't bought an Intel cpu, yet, but I sold my AMD stock (for a loss), I haven't bought any new cpu at all. I'm very disappointed with AMD and tired of their promises about what they'e going to produce someday, a day they won't confirm and even when they do confirm something, they then retract their confirmation with further delays while their stock sinks ever toward the bottom. So, I critisize AMD.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
None of the benchmarks today that have been published have been on Vista.

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/quad-core/index.x?pg=1
http://www.hwupgrade.com/articles/cpu/10/quad-fx-the-first-quad-core-amd-platform_index.html

Henri Richard: Intel went out and took SPECint2000, knowing there is already SPECint2006 and they did that only because it advantaged their platform vs. ours.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=412

lol

Hmm... I wonder where Mr. Richard's next job will be. Maybe on the floor of my local Fry's? :lol:

Nice article.

The only thing that concerns me is the part where he says something about integrating the cpu/gpu. If you want to upgrade your video, you'll have t buy a whole new combo. And somewhere down the line the manufacturers are going to change the socket type which means more hardware upgrades.

Kinda sounds like the auto makers going from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive. They suck, but it's easier and cheaper for the company to do it that way.

Intel also talked about this. Not good for us IMO.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I could pull out a lot of quotes... this one some might like:

The PC OEM market today is one where it is very difficult to make any money. There's a reason for that and that is the monopoly and tax imposed by Intel. So because it is very difficult to make any money for the PC manufacturer, it is difficult for them to invest in true innovation and difficult for them to accept the cost that comes with progress.

This is an even better quote:

But let me get to the bottom on why this is so important. It is not so much between the battle between AMD and Intel. It is the fact that we both, both companies have the responsibility first and foremost to expand the market space and I believe that comes through the good education and information to the end user, not FUD. I really think that is the main issue.

If Intel focused on expanding a 35 billion dollar company to 70 billion and in the process of doing that AMD were to go from 10 to 20 billion, who cares. They are still No.1, they are still doing well. But instead being focused on expanding the market, they think their path to greatness is to take us and beat us 2-300 million bucks a quarter, which is ridiculous.

Good read but it was as much info as it was a hurrah. Thanks for the link.

I liked the comments about power and consumption measures failing to include the northbridge. May seem like splitting hairs, but I think AMD has a legit beef with that one. I know the northbridge on an 875P chipset was just as hot as the P4 itself. And while core2 may consume less power and produce less heat, the chipsets can't be all that much different.

I also like the comments about how it took Intel 4 years to create a product that could finally beat the Athlon64. And yet, core2 has been out a year+/- and everyone is claiming that AMD can't beat it because they suffer from a lack of planning and can't pull their $hit together. Whatever...

Say what you will but QuadFX as a platform is pretty impressive. I look forward ot seeing how it matures and what processor and gpu solutions become available for it. Perhaps we'll see a ATi made QuadFX chipsets, 4-R600's in crossfire, as well as quad core procs. What a friggin beast!

Let's get with the R600 already!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
FYI - It is being reported by the AP that computer chip sales are up 8%, yet average price per chip is down 15%.

They may not have warned yet but those numbers say that they are at least down by 7%. I would say it will be double digit YoY losses. They are now making the same money as in 2004, depending on what happens for Q1.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

They may not have warned yet but those numbers say that they are at least down by 7%. I would say it will be double digit YoY losses. They are now making the same money as in 2004, depending on what happens for Q1.

Yes, but if the AMD is down 25-30% in chip sales... think about it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Yes, but if the AMD is down 25-30% in chip sales... think about it.

AMD is down 25-30% in chip sales? I don't think Mercury reported Q1 yet.